Used 2001 Hyundai Santa Fe SUV Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2001 Hyundai Santa-fe - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Santa Fe model:

Best value SUV for the price
By ericmalcolm82

2001 Hyundai Santa Fe SUV GL 4WD 4dr SUV (2.7L 6cyl 4A)

I live in the midwest and our winters are brutal, so I had saved up about $4,000 to buy a used SUV that I could drive during snowy treks. Found this SUV with 100,000 miles for only $3K, with minor issues (heater didn't work, check engine light). Heater was easy fix, I passed e-check with some Seafoam, and have been driving for two months and love it. Snowed real bad last night, and felt very safe all the way home from work. Interior is boring but everything you need, handles well, fun to drive. Looked at older CRV's that had higher miles and that cost about a grand+ more. Very happy with this vehicle, and hope to drive it for another 100,000 miles.

Favorite Features

Decent gas economy when compared to the car it was replacing (a 5-cylinder Acura TL sedan), feel safe in the winter, decent power, easy to drive, wasn't too expensive, great value.

Overall a great car
By paulsparrow

2001 Hyundai Santa Fe SUV GL 2WD 4dr SUV (2.7L 6cyl 4A)

After we drove ours off the lot we immediately had two problems. Paint was flecking off and our transmission went. The paint was redone on the trouble spots at no charge and we haven't had issues since. The transmission was replaced only to be replaced again a few months later. Since then we have had no troubles. Outside of oil changes, the odd light etc this car has been for the most part great. Two issues we have had to date have been the speedometer has gone four times now, each not covered. The other is the one power window has gone twice now. No engine problems or other cosmetic problems. Overall a fantastic deal

Suggested Improvements

Little more room for front seats. Pretty tight spacing.

Saved My Life
By megiejay1684

2001 Hyundai Santa Fe SUV GL 4WD 4dr SUV (2.7L 6cyl 4A)

Although I cannot attest to the logevity of this vehicle (as I only had it for about 6 months) I can definetly say that it is extremely safe. I was in a head on collision on my way to work one morning, hit by a lifted '90-something Ford F-250 going about 60+ miles/hr. This Santa Fe did exactly what it was designed to do by crumpling the engine area, and other than the fact that the front end of the vehicle was smashed like an accordian, the rest of cabin area and the car was completely fine. I only walked away with a small break in my ankle, which was from me bracing myself as I tried to brake. I, as well as the paramedics on site, believe whole-heartedly that this vehicle saved my life.

Favorite Features

Very Safe! The ride was smooth, and comfortable...The sound system was great...and it got decent gas mileage.

Suggested Improvements

Make the body style better...I think we can all admit that it's a little odd looking.

The Lucky One
By john_can

2001 Hyundai Santa Fe SUV GLS 2WD 4dr SUV (2.7L 6cyl 4A)

My dad bought this car back in '01 and I remember the day we traded his old saturn for it. The car has 216,800 miles as of today and finally the transmission is "going" out, which is very good for an automatic. The engine is a bit small for a V6 but the car gets me around and safetly. The airbags are all still operable, other than normal maintanence like oil and the timing belts. This car has been amazing. The AC has been out a while and being in Arlington Texas and having 22 straight days of triple digit heat, it kinda sucks but the big windows rolled down help out a lot. My mileage has gone down a little cause of my transmission, but growing up with this car and now driving it is awesome.

Favorite Features

Big windows, powered of course windows and locks, big trunk, all wheel disc brakes, rack and pinion steering, easy access to the drain bolt and oil filter, air filter easy access, big enough for four grown 6'+ adults, can hold six with four in the back lol, sun shade for the trunk, rear window wiper, pretty good stereo, all around this vehicle over the last ten years has been my favorite feature

Long time owner
By Long_time_owner

2001 Hyundai Santa Fe SUV GLS 2WD 4dr SUV (2.7L 6cyl 4A)

I have had this vehicle since 2001 and has over 165,000 miles! It wasn't been without its share of problems though. The first major repair was a new transmission at 20k. Lots of other problems too all covered under the warranty. Since the bumper to bumper warranty has been out, only a few minor repairs, so I can't complain too much. Factory put quality tires on, didn't get a new set till 100k! Its a very comfortable vehicle and has been on many, many road trips. I think it may be getting time for a new vehicle, Hyundai will probably be at the top of my list, I think they've come a long way since 01, and the warranty and affordability can't be beat.

Favorite Features

Comfortable seats, lumbar support. Folding seats to haul in the back.

Suggested Improvements

Gas mileage at 20 is not stellar.