2001 Hyundai Santa Fe SUV - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Santa Fe model:
Overall a great car
By paulsparrow on 11/30/11 13:51 PM (PST)

2001 Hyundai Santa Fe SUV GL 2WD 4dr SUV (2.7L 6cyl 4A)

After we drove ours off the lot we immediately had two problems. Paint was flecking off and our transmission went. The paint was redone on the trouble spots at no charge and we haven't had issues since. The transmission was replaced only to be replaced again a few months later. Since then we have had no troubles. Outside of oil changes, the odd light etc this car has been for the most part great. Two issues we have had to date have been the speedometer has gone four times now, each not covered. The other is the one power window has gone twice now. No engine problems or other cosmetic problems. Overall a fantastic deal

Saved My Life
By megiejay1684 on 07/19/11 11:24 AM (PDT)

2001 Hyundai Santa Fe SUV GL 4WD 4dr SUV (2.7L 6cyl 4A)

Although I cannot attest to the logevity of this vehicle (as I only had it for about 6 months) I can definetly say that it is extremely safe. I was in a head on collision on my way to work one morning, hit by a lifted '90-something Ford F-250 going about 60+ miles/hr. This Santa Fe did exactly what it was designed to do by crumpling the engine area, and other than the fact that the front end of the vehicle was smashed like an accordian, the rest of cabin area and the car was completely fine. I only walked away with a small break in my ankle, which was from me bracing myself as I tried to brake. I, as well as the paramedics on site, believe whole-heartedly that this vehicle saved my life.

The Lucky One
By john_can on 07/16/11 18:11 PM (PDT)

2001 Hyundai Santa Fe SUV GLS 2WD 4dr SUV (2.7L 6cyl 4A)

My dad bought this car back in '01 and I remember the day we traded his old saturn for it. The car has 216,800 miles as of today and finally the transmission is "going" out, which is very good for an automatic. The engine is a bit small for a V6 but the car gets me around and safetly. The airbags are all still operable, other than normal maintanence like oil and the timing belts. This car has been amazing. The AC has been out a while and being in Arlington Texas and having 22 straight days of triple digit heat, it kinda sucks but the big windows rolled down help out a lot. My mileage has gone down a little cause of my transmission, but growing up with this car and now driving it is awesome.

Long time owner
By Long_time_owner on 09/11/10 00:00 AM (PDT)

2001 Hyundai Santa Fe SUV GLS 2WD 4dr SUV (2.7L 6cyl 4A)

I have had this vehicle since 2001 and has over 165,000 miles! It wasn't been without its share of problems though. The first major repair was a new transmission at 20k. Lots of other problems too all covered under the warranty. Since the bumper to bumper warranty has been out, only a few minor repairs, so I can't complain too much. Factory put quality tires on, didn't get a new set till 100k! Its a very comfortable vehicle and has been on many, many road trips. I think it may be getting time for a new vehicle, Hyundai will probably be at the top of my list, I think they've come a long way since 01, and the warranty and affordability can't be beat.

I will never purchase Hyundai again
By SecondaryGemini on 07/20/10 19:59 PM (PDT)

2001 Hyundai Santa Fe SUV GL 2WD 4dr SUV (2.7L 6cyl 4A)

I bought my 2001 Santa Fe used at a Toyota dealership, and within three weeks of purchase I had replaced almost 3000 worth of computer parts, as well as the spark plugs. The dealership was full of liars and crooks, but most importantly this car turned out to be the biggest mistake of my life. My transmission blew in late 2008 and cost me almost 4500 to fix, and I only fixed it because I still owe so much on the vehicle and the dealership did nothing to help me. As soon as I can get rid of this car, I will do so and I will never purchase another Hyundai again. It's a smooth ride and the seat is comfortable, but neither does me any good when the car almost never runs.

Better than most
By superz3161981 on 07/11/10 10:38 AM (PDT)

2001 Hyundai Santa Fe SUV GL 2WD 4dr SUV (2.7L 6cyl 4A)

2003 Ford F250, 1999 Subaru, 1995 Isuzu, 1995 Honda, 2001 Honda, 2004 Honda, I can go on and on about cars and trucks I've owned. This Hyundai however has to be the best vehicle that I have ever owned. I would recommend this SUV to anyone who has a small (2,3,4) size family. It's good in and around the city and even when we take a trip from Daytona to Washington DC. Personally, I've told my wife that I want a newer model 08,09,10,11,12,ect. I know this is the 1st so there are some minor flaws.

Wow, I got the dream car...
By Happy In LaVerne on 02/11/10 22:30 PM (PST)

2001 Hyundai Santa Fe SUV GLS 2WD 4dr SUV (2.7L 6cyl 4A)

Perhaps I ended up buying the exception to the rule, but I couldn't be happier. 2WD, gets 23 mpg with a 6cyl engine, beefy enough that I feel I could survive an accident, yet small enough to fit into a compact parking space. Hit the accelerator hard, and it takes a good moment to get up to speed, but once there, purrs like a kitten. Really roomy back seats, handy liftback with window opening, plus enough 12v plugs to keep everyone's gizmo charged and running. There are some little bugs - the back ashtray/catchall and cup holder has decided to give up the ghost, but the heater's nice and toasty, and the heated mirrors mean I can see what's around me.

Nice to look at, but oh my....
By Carol on 02/10/10 18:28 PM (PST)

2001 Hyundai Santa Fe SUV GLS 2WD 4dr SUV (2.7L 6cyl 4A)

Bought new in Aug 2001 and 2 weeks later, leaking evaporator killed A/C during the heat of S. FL summer. At 100K miles, have replaced more major parts than I can recall, including 2 failed alternators, a starter, rear hatch lock, window motor, oxygen sensor (nearly killed me on the highway approach), a fuel output sensor, something major in the steering, 2 front wheel boots; have computer failure that causes radio to repeatedly whine while rapidly switching back & forth from CD player to radio; turn it off and it turns itself back on! Doors unlock themselves. Awful awful mileage (16/20 & I drive moderately). Spent so much in repairs since 2001, I couldn't afford new car. A SUPER LEMON!

Love this vehicle- two year second owner
By Dan on 11/27/09 20:47 PM (PST)

2001 Hyundai Santa Fe SUV LX 4WD 4dr SUV (2.7L 6cyl 4A)

I gave a lower reliability score because a front seal Transfer seal setn out and led to having to replace the casing, not a cheap fix. I'm second owner to the warranty was not valid for me but the dealer/manufacture kicked in for a third of the cost. I don't understand the lower ratings on "performance" but my 2.6 v6 really gets with it when merging into a fast freeway on ramp. It is really fast which surprised me on the test drive for an SUV. This vehicle has 8o,ooo on it when I bought it and the previous owners had kept really good care of this rig, it was like new and still is and, unlike the new models it still had the combo CD/cassette radio and a rear window that opens (love it).

Not as good as it seems
By ed on 11/18/09 08:49 AM (PST)

2001 Hyundai Santa Fe SUV GLS 4WD 4dr SUV (2.7L 6cyl 4A)

We bought this car about two years now, at the begun everything seem so be ok but problemas started.. alternator need to be change, two transmissions sensor were bad so all the transmission blew up, then the time chain, the radiator have a leak, the factory alarm fail, the ac compresor fail... everything fail in order all this in abour 2 months, i like the feel of the car but to me at least kia wil not be a brand to recomend i have own 4-5 GM cars and thay have had the same problems but maintance end reapairs are lot cheaper