Used 2001 Hyundai Santa Fe SUV Consumer Reviews - 81 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2001 Hyundai Santa Fe SUV

View reviews for a specific Santa Fe model:

Great cruising car!
By Raamos

2001 Hyundai Santa Fe SUV GL 2WD 4dr SUV (2.7L 6cyl 4A)

Excellent car, I did my regular maintenance no major issues. to this day 15 years later runs great with 195,000 miles on it. Best car thus far in my lifetime. ... I am selling it now, because I no longer need a car since I now have my son's car. I really enjoyed driving the Santa Fe so far!

15 year owner
By Sambo

2001 Hyundai Santa Fe SUV GLS 4WD 4dr SUV (2.7L 6cyl 4A)

Excellent car, I did my regular maintenance no major issues. beats any 4x4 jeep truck or SUV my extended family or friends have ever owned...I have had to rescue them many times or go pick them up..... to this day 15 years later runs great with 178,000 miles on it, best car thus far in my lifetime, I will always have Hyundai vehicles on my list to consider now... I might cry when I sell this, if I ever do! I have purchased the newly redesigned Tucson because the measurements are now very close to the 2001 Santa Fe but enjoy driving the Santa Fe better so far!

Best value SUV for the price
By ericmalcolm82

2001 Hyundai Santa Fe SUV GL 4WD 4dr SUV (2.7L 6cyl 4A)

I live in the midwest and our winters are brutal, so I had saved up about $4,000 to buy a used SUV that I could drive during snowy treks. Found this SUV with 100,000 miles for only $3K, with minor issues (heater didn't work, check engine light). Heater was easy fix, I passed e-check with some Seafoam, and have been driving for two months and love it. Snowed real bad last night, and felt very safe all the way home from work. Interior is boring but everything you need, handles well, fun to drive. Looked at older CRV's that had higher miles and that cost about a grand+ more. Very happy with this vehicle, and hope to drive it for another 100,000 miles.

Decent gas economy when compared to the car it was replacing (a 5-cylinder Acura TL sedan), feel safe in the winter, decent power, easy to drive, wasn't too expensive, great value.

Overall a great car
By paulsparrow

2001 Hyundai Santa Fe SUV GL 2WD 4dr SUV (2.7L 6cyl 4A)

After we drove ours off the lot we immediately had two problems.
Paint was flecking off and our transmission went.
The paint was redone on the trouble spots at no charge and we haven't had issues since.

The transmission was replaced only to be replaced again a few months later.
Since then we have had no troubles.

Outside of oil changes, the odd light etc this car has been for the most part great.
Two issues we have had to date have been the speedometer has gone four times now, each not covered.
The other is the one power window has gone twice now.

No engine problems or other cosmetic problems.
Overall a fantastic deal

Little more room for front seats. Pretty tight spacing.

Saved My Life
By megiejay1684

2001 Hyundai Santa Fe SUV GL 4WD 4dr SUV (2.7L 6cyl 4A)

Although I cannot attest to the logevity of this vehicle (as I only had it for about 6 months) I can definetly say that it is extremely safe.
I was in a head on collision on my way to work one morning, hit by a lifted '90-something Ford F-250 going about 60+ miles/hr.
This Santa Fe did exactly what it was designed to do by crumpling the engine area, and other than the fact that the front end of the vehicle was smashed like an accordian, the rest of cabin area and the car was completely fine.
I only walked away with a small break in my ankle, which was from me bracing myself as I tried to brake.
I, as well as the paramedics on site, believe whole-heartedly that this vehicle saved my life.

Very Safe! The ride was smooth, and comfortable...The sound system was great...and it got decent gas mileage.

Make the body style better...I think we can all admit that it's a little odd looking.