2001 Hyundai Santa Fe - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Santa Fe model:
The Lucky One
By john_can on 07/16/11 18:11 PM (PDT)

2001 Hyundai Santa Fe GLS 2WD 4dr SUV (2.7L 6cyl 4A)

My dad bought this car back in '01 and I remember the day we traded his old saturn for it. The car has 216,800 miles as of today and finally the transmission is "going" out, which is very good for an automatic. The engine is a bit small for a V6 but the car gets me around and safetly. The airbags are all still operable, other than normal maintanence like oil and the timing belts. This car has been amazing. The AC has been out a while and being in Arlington Texas and having 22 straight days of triple digit heat, it kinda sucks but the big windows rolled down help out a lot. My mileage has gone down a little cause of my transmission, but growing up with this car and now driving it is awesome.

Long time owner
By Long_time_owner on 09/11/10 00:00 AM (PDT)

2001 Hyundai Santa Fe GLS 2WD 4dr SUV (2.7L 6cyl 4A)

I have had this vehicle since 2001 and has over 165,000 miles! It wasn't been without its share of problems though. The first major repair was a new transmission at 20k. Lots of other problems too all covered under the warranty. Since the bumper to bumper warranty has been out, only a few minor repairs, so I can't complain too much. Factory put quality tires on, didn't get a new set till 100k! Its a very comfortable vehicle and has been on many, many road trips. I think it may be getting time for a new vehicle, Hyundai will probably be at the top of my list, I think they've come a long way since 01, and the warranty and affordability can't be beat.

Wow, I got the dream car...
By Happy In LaVerne on 02/11/10 22:30 PM (PST)

2001 Hyundai Santa Fe GLS 2WD 4dr SUV (2.7L 6cyl 4A)

Perhaps I ended up buying the exception to the rule, but I couldn't be happier. 2WD, gets 23 mpg with a 6cyl engine, beefy enough that I feel I could survive an accident, yet small enough to fit into a compact parking space. Hit the accelerator hard, and it takes a good moment to get up to speed, but once there, purrs like a kitten. Really roomy back seats, handy liftback with window opening, plus enough 12v plugs to keep everyone's gizmo charged and running. There are some little bugs - the back ashtray/catchall and cup holder has decided to give up the ghost, but the heater's nice and toasty, and the heated mirrors mean I can see what's around me.

Nice to look at, but oh my....
By Carol on 02/10/10 18:28 PM (PST)

2001 Hyundai Santa Fe GLS 2WD 4dr SUV (2.7L 6cyl 4A)

Bought new in Aug 2001 and 2 weeks later, leaking evaporator killed A/C during the heat of S. FL summer. At 100K miles, have replaced more major parts than I can recall, including 2 failed alternators, a starter, rear hatch lock, window motor, oxygen sensor (nearly killed me on the highway approach), a fuel output sensor, something major in the steering, 2 front wheel boots; have computer failure that causes radio to repeatedly whine while rapidly switching back & forth from CD player to radio; turn it off and it turns itself back on! Doors unlock themselves. Awful awful mileage (16/20 & I drive moderately). Spent so much in repairs since 2001, I couldn't afford new car. A SUPER LEMON!

Worst Ever...Horrible!
By SSK80 on 07/16/09 19:09 PM (PDT)

2001 Hyundai Santa Fe GLS 2WD 4dr SUV (2.7L 6cyl 4A)

I have had my Santa Fe for almost 3 years now...and have had NOTHING but problems with it!! I have had to replace/repair so many things it's not funny. It has ranged from electrical issues in the engine (multiple), the cruise control had to be disabled at one point or the transmission got stuck in 1st...now it's a power steering issue. I am dumping this thing as soon as humanly possible. Hyundai was NO help at all of course, non-transferrable warranty and all that.

couldn't be happier
By rpost on 01/06/09 19:51 PM (PST)

2001 Hyundai Santa Fe GLS 2WD 4dr SUV (2.7L 6cyl 4A)

Good Stuff! previously owned 3 Toyotas and looking for a change. Found an affordable, adorable, reliable mini- SUV. I always admired the look from a far and now I'm thrilled that it's super comfortable,perfect height,solid construction (heavy doors,easy handles,solid accessories). I can fit 2 bikes with no problem and the perks are great (heated seats,cruise,leather)

Awesome Vehicle!
By Lori on 08/05/07 11:16 AM (PDT)

2001 Hyundai Santa Fe GLS 2WD 4dr SUV (2.7L 6cyl 4A)

I bought this SUV new in 2001. I have kept up with all suggested maintenance, and have never had any problems whatsoever. It looks and drives just like it did the day I bought it. I absolutely love it and will most likely buy another one when the time comes. I have recommended this SUV to many friends who have wound up buying their own and are just as happy as I am. Buy it!

2001 Hyundai Sante Fe GLS
By Barbara on 08/04/07 06:01 AM (PDT)

2001 Hyundai Santa Fe GLS 2WD 4dr SUV (2.7L 6cyl 4A)

Next to a B210 (Datsun) I drove for years, this car is built to last! I can't say enough about it.

smart purchase
By brenda carraway on 03/04/06 10:12 AM (PST)

2001 Hyundai Santa Fe GLS 2WD 4dr SUV (2.7L 6cyl 4A)

the santa fe has been a good auto investmet. only problem with vehicle is some reocurrig noise in front drive train or suspension, dealer is having hard time trying to find problem. keep replacing parts but does not fix problem. the excellant warrany keeps me from becoming to concerned at this time,but could become more problematic as warranty period lapses. hope to find solution soon. i do enjoy this vehicle and hope to keep it for many years, i am also thinking of puchasing the new hot sonata. happy to own a santa fe.

Best Ever Owned
By S. Whitmer on 07/27/05 13:46 PM (PDT)

2001 Hyundai Santa Fe GLS 2WD 4dr SUV (2.7L 6cyl 4A)

Easily the best SUV on the market for the price. Have owned for 4+ years, no problems. Get 24+ MPG combined w/ V6. Solid build quality, easy to maintain. Hyundai builds to Lexus quality at 1/2 the price.