Used 2001 Hyundai Santa Fe GLS Consumer Reviews - 17 Car Reviews | Edmunds

View reviews for a specific Santa Fe model:

The Lucky One
By john_can

2001 Hyundai Santa Fe GLS 2WD 4dr SUV (2.7L 6cyl 4A)

My dad bought this car back in '01 and I remember the day we traded his old saturn for it. The car has 216,800 miles as of today and finally the transmission is "going" out, which is very good for an automatic. The engine is a bit small for a V6 but the car gets me around and safetly. The airbags are all still operable, other than normal maintanence like oil and the timing belts. This car has been amazing. The AC has been out a while and being in Arlington Texas and having 22 straight days of triple digit heat, it kinda sucks but the big windows rolled down help out a lot. My mileage has gone down a little cause of my transmission, but growing up with this car and now driving it is awesome.

Big windows, powered of course windows and locks, big trunk, all wheel disc brakes, rack and pinion steering, easy access to the drain bolt and oil filter, air filter easy access, big enough for four grown 6'+ adults, can hold six with four in the back lol, sun shade for the trunk, rear window wiper, pretty good stereo, all around this vehicle over the last ten years has been my favorite feature

Long time owner
By Long_time_owner

2001 Hyundai Santa Fe GLS 2WD 4dr SUV (2.7L 6cyl 4A)

I have had this vehicle since 2001 and has over 165,000 miles! It wasn't been without its share of problems though. The first major repair was a new transmission at 20k. Lots of other problems too all covered under the warranty. Since the bumper to bumper warranty has been out, only a few minor repairs, so I can't complain too much. Factory put quality tires on, didn't get a new set till 100k! Its a very comfortable vehicle and has been on many, many road trips. I think it may be getting time for a new vehicle, Hyundai will probably be at the top of my list, I think they've come a long way since 01, and the warranty and affordability can't be beat.

Comfortable seats, lumbar support. Folding seats to haul in the back.

Gas mileage at 20 is not stellar.

Wow, I got the dream car...
By Happy In LaVerne

2001 Hyundai Santa Fe GLS 2WD 4dr SUV (2.7L 6cyl 4A)

Perhaps I ended up buying the exception to the rule, but I couldn't be happier. 2WD, gets 23 mpg with a 6cyl engine, beefy enough that I feel I could survive an accident, yet small enough to fit into a compact parking space. Hit the accelerator hard, and it takes a good moment to get up to speed, but once there, purrs like a kitten. Really roomy back seats, handy liftback with window opening, plus enough 12v plugs to keep everyone's gizmo charged and running. There are some little bugs - the back ashtray/catchall and cup holder has decided to give up the ghost, but the heater's nice and toasty, and the heated mirrors mean I can see what's around me.

Heated side mirrors, both very large, rear wiper is almost like a happy puppy wagging a tail.

Electronics probably needed a bit more considerations all in all, but likely improved in later models.

Nice to look at, but oh my....
By Carol

2001 Hyundai Santa Fe GLS 2WD 4dr SUV (2.7L 6cyl 4A)

Bought new in Aug 2001 and 2 weeks later, leaking evaporator killed A/C during the heat of S. FL summer. At 100K miles, have replaced more major parts than I can recall, including 2 failed alternators, a starter, rear hatch lock, window motor, oxygen sensor (nearly killed me on the highway approach), a fuel output sensor, something major in the steering, 2 front wheel boots; have computer failure that causes radio to repeatedly whine while rapidly switching back & forth from CD player to radio; turn it off and it turns itself back on! Doors unlock themselves. Awful awful mileage (16/20 & I drive moderately). Spent so much in repairs since 2001, I couldn't afford new car. A SUPER LEMON!

Handsome lines of body

Manufacturing quality obviously a hit and miss venture in 2001. My car purchased new was a MIGHTY BIG MISS!! Must have been built on a Monday morning. Everything sub-quality.

Worst Ever...Horrible!
By SSK80

2001 Hyundai Santa Fe GLS 2WD 4dr SUV (2.7L 6cyl 4A)

I have had my Santa Fe for almost 3 years now...and have had NOTHING but problems with it!! I have had to replace/repair so many things it's not funny. It has ranged from electrical issues in the engine (multiple), the cruise control had to be disabled at one point or the transmission got stuck in 1st...now it's a power steering issue. I am dumping this thing as soon as humanly possible. Hyundai was NO help at all of course, non-transferrable warranty and all that.

It does have a decent sized cargo area for being a smaller SUV. When it runs, it's not a bad ride at all...it doesn't run all that often though.

Stop selling them? Warranty options for more than one owner...