2001 Hyundai Santa Fe - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Santa Fe model:
Not a high quality car for road in Boston
By ambi on 10/20/07 23:28 PM (PDT)

2001 Hyundai Santa Fe GL 2WD 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

I had this car from 35K mile to 65K mile. It was OK when I drove it in Texas with the smooth high ways. But it has been giving me problems since I moved to Boston. I need to replace the battery, ball joint, rear suspension, master brake cylinder. The CD player always turn it self on/off when I'm driving on a bumpy road, which seems to be everywhere in Boston. I plan to sell this car now after driving in Boston for one year.

noisey? no power, guzzler
By julie crowley on 09/05/07 06:56 AM (PDT)

2001 Hyundai Santa Fe GL 2WD 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

i love my santa fe, believe it or not from the title. But it has no acceleration to speak of and is very noisey. It drinks petrol and costs me a fortune to keep. although it got me through 2foot flood water with no problems at all recently.

Check Engine
By Jadejaws on 04/25/07 23:44 PM (PDT)

2001 Hyundai Santa Fe GL 2WD 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

No Sante Fe owner can tell me he/she hasnt seen this light WAY too often. Overall not a terrible car, but the interior has cheap flimsy equipment (the steering wheel literally started to come apart in my hands). I am rid of this car now and couldnt be happier about that. Maybe the later models were better, but way too many "out of warranty" repairs were needed on this vehicle. The stated MPG is an outright lie and I was lucky to get 16 MPG most of the time. I can honestly say that of the 6 cars I have bought new, this was without a doubt the absolutely worst one (1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse a very close second).

Best car I got ..!
By dapril32 on 12/09/06 10:31 AM (PST)

2001 Hyundai Santa Fe GL 2WD 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

Look at this .. after 176,000km on the count. I decided to chage my tire for the first time! They are still good for one summer so I will keep them for next year. The best tire on this thing I never had. No problem at all with this SUV. Did change oil every 5000km, regular maintenance, the closer dealer in my area is about at 200km. Don't need them anyway .. haha The paint still great on it after these years. The one thing is the break that need to be change every 50000 at least. I paid this SUV after 3 years then it's money in the bank! I can't compaint at all ...!

My Hyundai
By Grandma on 09/21/06 12:07 PM (PDT)

2001 Hyundai Santa Fe GL 2WD 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

I love my vehicle. I have not had any trouble with it at all until last month.I have made 3 trips to Texas from Wyoming and never had a problem. I keep up with the changing of the oil and always try to keep at least half a tank full of gas as I never know when I am going to have to go out of town for some reason. I can take most of what I need and still have plenty of room for my little sitzu to go. She has plenty of room to get to her bed. I like the way the windows work. The service men at Underridders in Billings, Mt. do the service work on it as they sell Hyundai's however they can't seem to find the trouble I have this time. I hope they can find it soon so I can have my car back.

93000 miles and counting
By Dean from CO on 02/26/06 15:44 PM (PST)

2001 Hyundai Santa Fe GL 2WD 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

A fantastic vehicle, never a single problem (except for a software problem that made it stall twice), upkeep is minimal (finally replaced the original tires after 85000 miles), 27+ mpg (even in the city). I can't rave enough about my Sante Fe. Comfortable, fun to drive, reliable, economical, lots of cargo room. Excellant on long trips. I would keep it another 5 years, but have you seen the 2007s?

Great SUV
By ralphredwolf on 01/27/06 23:18 PM (PST)

2001 Hyundai Santa Fe GL 2WD 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

After 97000 Miles this has probably been the best vehicle I have ever owned. I happen to drive cars and trucks for a living and this is one of the best out there. Normally after this much mileage a vehicle has some play in the front end but not this SUV. It is just as tight as the day I first drove it, unbelieveable. If only the USA could make a great SUV like this GM & Ford would never have problems. Buy one,you will not be disappointed.

Use Caution
By Could be better on 12/09/05 11:56 AM (PST)

2001 Hyundai Santa Fe GL 2WD 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

My Santa Fe has 72K miles. It has been in the shop too many times to mention for poor performance, sputtering, and no aceleration. Dealer could not fix. Went to a friend - winds up dealer put the wrong cheap spark plugs and wires on. My car had only been serviced by the dealer, and never replaced plugs or wires. No one can explain. Also crank sensor went on fast lane of freeway. Have to replace battery at least once a year. Backtail lights consistently go out but they can not find the issue causing it. Also had to replace console and speakers several times. Paint is completely fading. 100K warranty? What's actually covered for 100K?

Great SUV..Until over 90K miles
By Melony on 11/12/05 23:00 PM (PST)

2001 Hyundai Santa Fe GL 2WD 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

I really enjoyed this vehicle, and hoped it would last a lot longer; I certainly wasn't ready to see it go. I had one of the 89 Hyundai's, standard transmission, and the trans went out at 60K, so I knew it was short lived...I only had it in the shop a few times, and at 97k miles, the check engine light came on again, and I had a gut feeling it was bad. I didn't take it to repair, I drove straight to the nearest dealer and traded in (not another Hyundai). The dealer called the next day wanting to know what the trick was to starting it. Evidently they couldn't start it (I hadn't had that problem) when they went to wholesale it. Long story short, BAD NEWS, the engine evidently bit the dust

Read before you buy
By Josh on 05/24/05 16:03 PM (PDT)

2001 Hyundai Santa Fe GL 2WD 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

Beware of a problem. the ignition system is designed very poorly. every 20k miles the car needs plug wires and/or ignitoin coils. $200-$550 every 6 months for us. 2.4l engine design is bad. Hyundai does not help except charge us every 6 months for the same replacement parts as they do not warranty these. BE VERY BEWARE!!!!!!