Used 2001 Hyundai Santa Fe GL Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2001 Hyundai Santa Fe - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Santa Fe model:

Not a high quality car for road in Boston
By ambi

2001 Hyundai Santa Fe GL 2WD 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

I had this car from 35K mile to 65K mile. It was OK when I drove it in Texas with the smooth high ways. But it has been giving me problems since I moved to Boston. I need to replace the battery, ball joint, rear suspension, master brake cylinder. The CD player always turn it self on/off when I'm driving on a bumpy road, which seems to be everywhere in Boston. I plan to sell this car now after driving in Boston for one year.

Although it has small problems, it never broke down on the road. So reasonably reliable. Good fuel economy consider its weight. Brake pads last forever. Ample cargo space and rear seat space.

Make it more rugged for old roads like the ones in Boston.

noisey? no power, guzzler
By julie crowley

2001 Hyundai Santa Fe GL 2WD 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

i love my santa fe, believe it or not from the title. But it has no acceleration to speak of and is very noisey. It drinks petrol and costs me a fortune to keep. although it got me through 2foot flood water with no problems at all recently.

comfort and gadgets

more power. less noisey

Check Engine
By Jadejaws

2001 Hyundai Santa Fe GL 2WD 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

No Sante Fe owner can tell me he/she hasnt seen this light WAY too often. Overall not a terrible car, but the interior has cheap flimsy equipment (the steering wheel literally started to come apart in my hands). I am rid of this car now and couldnt be happier about that. Maybe the later models were better, but way too many "out of warranty" repairs were needed on this vehicle. The stated MPG is an outright lie and I was lucky to get 16 MPG most of the time. I can honestly say that of the 6 cars I have bought new, this was without a doubt the absolutely worst one (1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse a very close second).

It was quite roomy inside.

Engine overall. Battery just outright needs to be made something standard that lasts more than a year.

Best car I got ..!
By dapril32

2001 Hyundai Santa Fe GL 2WD 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

Look at this .. after 176,000km on the count. I decided to chage my tire for the first time! They are still good for one summer so I will keep them for next year. The best tire on this thing I never had. No problem at all with this SUV. Did change oil every 5000km, regular maintenance, the closer dealer in my area is about at 200km. Don't need them anyway .. haha The paint still great on it after these years. The one thing is the break that need to be change every 50000 at least. I paid this SUV after 3 years then it's money in the bank! I can't compaint at all ...!

The automatic going to manual shifting is a great tool for me in winter time in the North of Ontario Canada. I really give it to the Santa Fe in winter season .. believe me.

The breaks should be more resistant. The stering should have function to pull out. Allow more weight on the roof for transportation because 500 pounds is not that much compare with other SUV.

My Hyundai
By Grandma

2001 Hyundai Santa Fe GL 2WD 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

I love my vehicle. I have not had any trouble with it at all until last month.I have made 3 trips to Texas from Wyoming and never had a problem. I keep up with the changing of the oil and always try to keep at least half a tank full of gas as I never know when I am going to have to go out of town for some reason. I can take most of what I need and still have plenty of room for my little sitzu to go. She has plenty of room to get to her bed. I like the way the windows work. The service men at Underridders in Billings, Mt. do the service work on it as they sell Hyundai's however they can't seem to find the trouble I have this time. I hope they can find it soon so I can have my car back.

The CD. The Cup Holders. The side pockets on the doors. The cup holders in the back seat. The seats being able to lean forward for more cargo space. The mirrors on the visors. The lights by the holder for glasses. My side windows, and the rear view mirror. Back window opening.

The only thing I would change is to put a tape deck in the small place under the CD player. Otherwise It is the perfect car for me. I am tall and I have arthritis and so the height of the seats are easy for me to get in with out hurting much. Thank you.