2016 Hyundai Santa Fe Sport SUV Consumer Reviews - 7 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2016 Hyundai Santa Fe Sport SUV - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Santa Fe Sport model:

Good Grocery Hauler
By John W

2016 Hyundai Santa Fe Sport SUV 4dr SUV AWD (2.4L 4cyl 6A)

After 9.5K of use, gas mileage is 19.5 city (with A/C on only in hot weather), 24 Hwy: no A/C, ideal conditions - flat, cruise control, light traffic & average speed 77MPH. 2.4L engine is barely adequate for interstate speeds - transmission downshifts at the slightest impedence & drives mpg to zero. "Eco" button is useless for improving gas mileage. True MPG flashes on instrument panel for about 2/3 seconds AFTER engine is turned off. 2.4L motor has a rough idle at traffic stops - dealer can't correct. Dealer gave us fuel system cleaner and advised us to use Shell, Valero or Chevron gas - it hasn't cured the rough idle. 4WD gear is a serious drag (even disengaged) on the 2.4L engine transmsson. If you are over 5'11" - you'll barely fit comfortably - I'm 5' 11" and I can't adjust the rear view mirror fully with the drivers seat in the highest position. Please note, engine stalls when making emergency maneuvers or hard braking - how can this be a built-in safety factor? You're a sitting duck from rear or side collisions - you can't get out of oncoming traffic until the motor engages the transmission - takes precious seconds! This car is no safer, mechanically / technologically advanced than the other brands. I got a good price ; I liked the style & it fits nicely in my garage.

Not it's big sister!
By Susan Sarnoski

2016 Hyundai Santa Fe Sport SUV 4dr SUV AWD (2.4L 4cyl 6A)

I suppose if you never owned a Santa Fe, this will impress, however I had owned the 2007 model and decided to "update", man what a mistake! The seats in the 2016 Sport are like sitting on concrete (I needed to add supplemental cushioning). The accelerator is now fixed to the undercarriage at the base which makes pushing down on the gas pedal physically painful in one's lower back, you have to push down really hard especially if you have small feet! I find the interior components cheap and a much lower grade than the 2007 model, the carpeting is thin, and there is a great deal of plastic. Moving the 2nd row seating with the cheap handle they now placed on the side of the seat is annoying, the prior model moved much easier and was located at the top of the seat; now that it's on the side you can scratch your leg on it if you're getting out of the back seat. The rear view mirrors are much smaller which doesn't give you a great view. And lastly the pick up is .. well let's just say I feel as if I could run faster. It lugs when you attempt to accelerate, it's just not as quick as its big sister. I am looking to get rid of it. Gas mileage is good, interior room is good, and unfortunately for smokers there's no ashtray. They reconfigured the center front console and it does not seem to have as much room, so not happy with the downgrade there either. For general run around local I give it a 7, for highway it is very light and I have had to hold onto the steering wheel with 2 death grip hands even in light winds when I felt considerable sway. Don't attempt to just open the 2 rear windows without opening the front, if you do the noise will be deafening, the vibration is akin to being sent into space! Overall compared to the 2007, its a 1.

My "to self" perfect retirement gift.
By jim b

2016 Hyundai Santa Fe Sport SUV 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 6A)

Many Many pluses. comfort, handling, conveniences, fuel economy for a SUV is outstanding, low noise, controls, all around vision, storage, stylish looks, tracking.
cons? =fold and lock rear seats do not go completely flat; cruise control is good under 72 mph, otherwise it will downshift a lot in moderate terrain due to the small engine; Temp +/- buttons poorly illuminated and very hard to read and adjust while driving.
Get the turbo or larger horsepower engine for a lot of 80 mph and/or towing. My other Hyundai purchase have exceeded 150,000 miles minimal maint. costs and no major repairs, but I don't drive them 'hard' either.

Wanted a luxury car for under $35,000
By Helen

2016 Hyundai Santa Fe Sport SUV 2.0T 4dr SUV AWD (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 6A)

I reviewed every SUV in this class and decided on the Hyundai Santa Fe based on safety and upgrades. I've never owned a 4 cyl car and took the advise to go with the Turbo, glad I did. I feel confident passing and merging onto hwy with the turbo. Fuel has been good, 28 to 30 mpg. My only complaint is the front passenger seat does not go up and down, so if I'm sitting as the passenger, I can barely see over the hood.

Most likely our next purchase
By Bill Reid

2016 Hyundai Santa Fe Sport SUV 2.0T 4dr SUV AWD (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 6A)

If your budget does not allow for a Porsche Macan or even a Range Rover Evoque, this is probably the SUV you want. In the Southwest there are so many places to go, but most lie off of two lane highways. Having the confidence to pass that slow moving RV or that long semi means a less stressful ride to your destination. Plus the interior is surprisingly luxurious and the sound level, though not as quite as more expensive SUV's, is acceptable. Throw in the 100,000 mile warranty and you're looking at a lot of value for the cash expended.