2014 Hyundai Santa Fe Sport Consumer Review: Update at 42K

2014 Hyundai Santa Fe Sport - Consumer Review

2014 Hyundai Santa Fe Sport

2.0T 4dr SUV (2.0L 4-cyl. Turbo 6-speed Automatic)

Update at 42K
By dallasterrain on

2014 Hyundai Santa Fe Sport 2.0T 4dr SUV (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 6A)

Just drove from Dallas to Knoxville and back.
My turbo was a great cruiser.
Very comfortable and quiet.
Averaged 25 mpg overall for the trip cruising at about 80 most of the way with it set on ECO.
Did a long stint between Memphis and Little Rock going between 70 and 75 and averaged about 27 mpg.
They always say if you slow down you get better gas mileage!
Not the best gas mileage but love everything else about the vehicle.
My brother has a brand new Lexus RX350 and my Sport measures up very favorably to it.
Almost the exact same size.
The Sport's interior has a nicer layout.
The Lexus has a 6 with about 8 more hp and got 22 mpg on their trip.
UPDATE: 42,000 miles. Still love my Sport! Not one single problem. Did have to change out the tires at 35K. Nice highway cruiser with plenty of power. Still gets about 22mpg in mixed driving. Can get up to 28 mpg on the highway if I'm going the speed limit. I usually get about 25 going 75 to 85. One of the things I love about this vehicle is its tight turning radius. Makes a big difference and makes it feel smaller. The turbo gives you plenty of power but won't push you back into your seat. The only very minor complaint I have is that the steering is a little slow/loose feeling. Oh, and beware the enormous blind spot. The third back windows are small and sweep up. Nice look from outside but you can't see anything. Get the blind spot warning!

I still love everything about this vehicle and will certainly get another one when the time comes!

Are you the author of this review?

Update Your Review
By dallasterrain
on 12/15/14 17:03 PM (PST)

It's a year later and I now have 21,000 miles on my Sport. Still absolutely love it! Mileage has increased a bit. I'm now getting around 24 mpg in mixed driving, but that can vary quite a bit depending on all sorts of factors. It seems that about 22 mpg has been the low. I'm in sales and drive all over the Metroplex between Dallas and Ft. Worth and beyond. It's just me in the car and it's basically flat around here. Everything still works and I've had zero repairs in 14 months. Although the turbo 4 has plenty of power, it does not have the kind that makes you smile, but if you put your foot into it, it will get you there in a hurry. It has more than enough power to zip in and out of traffic and merge onto the highways. I had a 4 cylinder Terrain before this and it was a dog, but it did get better gas mileage. Always a trade-off :) This vehicle has tons of room and it fits my needs perfectly. Looks sharp, extremely comfortable and well laid out, peppy with good gas mileage, good but not great stereo, Bluetooth works seamlessly every time (and I toggle between two cell phones a lot), and in general, works great. Oh, I can't even remember what steering wheel setting I have it on. You'll find your sweet spot and set it and forget it. I shopped all the usual suspects in this class, the RAV4, CRV, Ford Edge and Escape, & the Mazda CX5 (plus, as I mentioned, I had owned a GMC Terrain). I'm still very happy with my choice. You can't get the combination of sportiness, good looks, comfort, and power from any of the others in its class.