2013 Hyundai Genesis Consumer Review: Beautiful R-spec 5.0

2013 Hyundai Genesis - Consumer Review

5.0 R-Spec Sedan (5.0L V8 8-speed Automatic)

Beautiful R-spec 5.0
By rspec50 on

2013 Hyundai Genesis 5.0 R-Spec 4dr Sedan (5.0L 8cyl 8A)

Pearson Hyundai gave me an offer I could not resist. Traded in my 3 years old 4.6 for this black/beige 5.0 last week and took it out for a 600-mile round trip to AC, NJ. Overall, the trip was a bliss. Silky smooth, powerful acceleration and quiet cabin made me feel like on top of the world. If I tried to maintain 2000 RPM or above, as recommended for breaking in the new car, I would be over the allowed limits. The car behaved at 80 mph the same way as it was at 40 mph: solid steering, dampened ride, and reduced wind, road noise. Powerful engine and quiet cabin are the two most important things I was looking for in a car for my long trips. I got both in this beautiful R-spec 5.0.

These comments are in reference to my old 4.6 car: 1. Power-folding side mirrors to get in and out of my 1-car garage. 2. Remote engine start. Have yet to register to bluelink, download the app and try out. 3. Classic exterior design. I like it better than the nonsense curves of the equus.

The machined-finish wheels could have been better designed. This is the only place where the 4.6 wheel design is better in my opinion. The digital led-clock is carried over from the 4.6 and gives the impression of a cheap car. It should be eliminated and the date & time stamp should be part of the main display, along with the temperatures. I am truly disappointed with this backward-looking digital clock. The interior designer should be fired.
By rspec50
on 06/05/13 21:52 PM (PDT)

Updated at 750 Miles: After setting up my blue link account, I was able to download the Hyundai Blue Link app to my iPod, subscribe to the Essentials and Guidance packages (They need your credit card to activate the 3-month trial for these packages) and was able to unlock, lock, and remote start my car, all via my iPod. I was also able to use the app to search for my addresses/destinations, preparing for my upcoming trip from VA to TX, and send them to my car, eliminating the tedious effort to enter them manually character by character in the car. Once sent, all I have to do is to download these POI from my car and add them to "my places". The coolest feature is definitely the remote start. Years ago, it used to be a third party add-on and cost hundreds of dollars.