Used 2013 Hyundai Genesis 5.0 R-Spec Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2013 Hyundai Genesis - Consumer Reviews

5.0 R-Spec 5.0L V8 8-speed Automatic - (5 reviews )

Lot of car for the money
By sdunnin

2013 Hyundai Genesis 5.0 R-Spec 5.0 R-Spec 4dr Sedan (5.0L 8cyl 8A)

For the money I don't think you can get a better luxury sedan with regards to price to feature ratio. I got the R-Spec version which comes with just about all available options PLUS 400 Horsepower. Other cars in the same class with similar features that I looked at cost at least $10,000 more. Aside from a few minor annoyances (no display of current climate settings, trunk lid design that lets water flow into trunk when opening) I've been very pleased with the car.

Favorite Features

Lots of power. Exterior styling. Audio system. Heated front and rear seats.

Suggested Improvements

All of these I think came with the 2015 but here goes. Cooled passenger seat. Better climate control feedback. More interior storage. Fold-down rear seats. Acceleration lag.

Is this thing really a HUNDAI?
By sierrapoet

2013 Hyundai Genesis 5.0 R-Spec 5.0 R-Spec 4dr Sedan (5.0L 8cyl 8A)

Having spent ample time in the seat of Mercedes' SL 55 and an AMG 63, I had low expectations of the 5.0 R-Spec Hundai. Uhhhh...WOW, was I wrong. For about 1/3 the cost, the Genesis Sedan is a fantastic luxury muscle car that hangs with the big dollar Europeans. Oh yeah, and for under $40K total, it came with a bumper to bumper 100K mile warranty. The Genesis has so far averaged roughly twice the gas mileage of my two previous Mercedes. Really? a Korean 429 HP luxury sedan that gets 27 MPG? What's not to like? Great price, fast, comfortable, reliable. The Germans had better up their game really soon, because I just bought two of these things, for less than my last European.

Favorite Features

Tons of power, quiet ride, killer sound system, lots of seating room. The engines loaf along at about 1500 RPM until you goose it, them it downshifts twice and takes off like a rocket ship. Unbelieveable gas mileage. We are getting 27 MPG on the highway. Goodness gracious.

Suggested Improvements

Exotic looks would be nice. Make the entertainment and navigation systems user upgradeable. Add lots more USB slots, including slots for the rear seats and give them enough power to charge cell phones and tablets. Use touch screens instead of the Mercedes-like rotary manual selector. Make the pearl white paint more pearly, and less white.

RSPEC 2013 by brian125
By brian125

2013 Hyundai Genesis 5.0 R-Spec 5.0 R-Spec 4dr Sedan (5.0L 8cyl 8A)

So far in 2 weeks here is my review..I love the sound system, very quite inside the cabin, very fast and fun to drive. The ride is jittery on bad roads just like the reviews. On the highway this genesis rides like any luxury vehicle. So the Positives outweight the negitives so far. Im a big guy at 6'1 250 and the drivers seat and position is very comfortable with plenty of head and leg room. I bought this vehicle for 38.3k plus taxes 20% of the msrp.

Favorite Features

the i drive system and knob needs to be improved.

Suggested Improvements

Need camera's on the outside mirriors like the new accord. Frontal crash warning system should be standard in this vehicle along with awd and fold down seats.

Door Liner broken within 3 weeks for New Car
By suhasbhat

2013 Hyundai Genesis 5.0 R-Spec 5.0 R-Spec 4dr Sedan (5.0L 8cyl 8A)

I brought Hyundai Genesis 5.0 R-Spec on (09/07/2013). Within one month (10/04/2013), I noticed that the rubber lining on driver side door which is glued has come off. Very disappointed that such thing happened. I compare it to my 18 year old Honda Civic which has 150,000 miles on it. Honda Civic which is one third the cost of Genesis and 18 years older has all it's liners still intact. I got a reply from their customer support. Surely the reply was not drafted by a person who is in customer support but was by a lawyer because language was not apologetic but it was stating that customer misuse can lead to such problems.

Suggested Improvements

Customer support needs to be improved. Also quality of the glue to stick liner should be improved. It should last longer than one one month.

Beautiful R-spec 5.0
By rspec50

2013 Hyundai Genesis 5.0 R-Spec 5.0 R-Spec 4dr Sedan (5.0L 8cyl 8A)

Pearson Hyundai gave me an offer I could not resist. Traded in my 3 years old 4.6 for this black/beige 5.0 last week and took it out for a 600-mile round trip to AC, NJ. Overall, the trip was a bliss. Silky smooth, powerful acceleration and quiet cabin made me feel like on top of the world. If I tried to maintain 2000 RPM or above, as recommended for breaking in the new car, I would be over the allowed limits. The car behaved at 80 mph the same way as it was at 40 mph: solid steering, dampened ride, and reduced wind, road noise. Powerful engine and quiet cabin are the two most important things I was looking for in a car for my long trips. I got both in this beautiful R-spec 5.0.

Favorite Features

These comments are in reference to my old 4.6 car: 1. Power-folding side mirrors to get in and out of my 1-car garage. 2. Remote engine start. Have yet to register to bluelink, download the app and try out. 3. Classic exterior design. I like it better than the nonsense curves of the equus.

Suggested Improvements

The machined-finish wheels could have been better designed. This is the only place where the 4.6 wheel design is better in my opinion. The digital led-clock is carried over from the 4.6 and gives the impression of a cheap car. It should be eliminated and the date & time stamp should be part of the main display, along with the temperatures. I am truly disappointed with this backward-looking digital clock. The interior designer should be fired.