Used 2012 Hyundai Genesis 3.8 Sedan Consumer Reviews - 31 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2012 Hyundai Genesis Sedan - Consumer Reviews

2012 Hyundai Genesis Sedan

View reviews for a specific Genesis model:

Great car
By edwin vincent

Love it

Excellent automobile for the price
By Mario Rosado

2012 Hyundai Genesis Sedan 3.8 4dr Sedan (3.8L 6cyl 8A)

Built BMW's for a living, this car is better!
By julioupward@aol.com

2012 Hyundai Genesis Sedan 3.8 4dr Sedan (3.8L 6cyl 8A)

When looking for a car the first thing I look for is a car that I prefer its looks to the others. The second thing that I look it is to find out how it compares to other cars. There was a lot of comparison to BMW, Mercedes, Infinity, Lexus and many other brands but at the end of the day I decided to buy the Hyundai because it was the most car for the least amount of money, an unbelievable value at 17K. We also bought the car because I and my wife thought we were done having children. We bought the car thinking we were a family of 4 but then when we got back from buying our Genesis (means Beginning) we found out that we were expecting baby number 3.

In case you missed it we bought a silver 3.8 Sedan, black leather, great technology no gps (why they look old in a couple of years)

How has the car performed after owning 1 1/2 years and going from 2 kids to 3 with a baby seat? We have had plenty of room although we would love a little bit more space. I just can't imagine trading a Genesis for a minivan.

Interior is holding up great for a family of 5. Black on Black is timeless. Performance - 0-60 MPH this car a 1/2 second slower than the 2012 5.0 Rspec and is only .4 second slower than the 2015 5.0 Sedan and is a full second faster than the 2015 Hyundai Genesis. I believe the 3.8 car we would take the 5.0 Rspec in the qtr mile.
Maintenance - I replaced the tires on the back with some Tiger Paws. the Fronts are originals.
I took it the dealership (awesome service) once for some lights that were malfunctioning inside the cabin. I have done the routine maintenance on it.
Most of our drives are about 40-60 minutes round trips.
We have driven in to Orlando (many times), Birmingham (many times), Greenville, SC (once) and back from Houston(once).
We just made it back from Orlando and I averaged 35 miles per gallon in a car that has 333 hp with a family of 5 and the car loaded with electronics, toys and the trunk completely full.
I am completely happy with this car an would recommend anyone to buy one but I know you would be as happy as we are to have one that is a few years old for less than half the price.

Love it......but
By katherine jones

2012 Hyundai Genesis Sedan 3.8 4dr Sedan (3.8L 6cyl 8A)

I have LOVED, LOVED , LOVED this car. I am looking to buy another one. I have 69K miles and no problems! The interior is wonderful for my 6 ft 6 inch tall husband, even in the back seat. My ONLY complaints are the design of the gas nozzle....it is like there is a curve that cause the gas to splash back and cut off the gas nozzle from continuing to fill. I have to stand with the car and manually pump, manipulating the position of the nozzle so it will fill. The other thing is the cup holders do not allow 2 large drinks in the front holders, they are too small to accommodate. The last thing is there is a blind spot in the drivers side mirror if you are short like I am (5 foot).
Small issues over the life of the car and it's wonderful performance!

Good but no cigar better options out there
By Steve

2012 Hyundai Genesis Sedan 3.8 4dr Sedan (3.8L 6cyl 8A)

Hyundai is trying to build a luxury brand, but, I think maybe they are 5 - 10 years away. I have had several major problems with my vehicle and Hyundai seems to like stating owner problem can not be duplicated and leave it at that. I had problems with the dash lights flickering from night time brightness to daytime brightness and Hyundai could not duplicate. I also had problems with the power windows and locks been driving vehicles with this equipment since the 1990's with not problems. The service experience needs to be addressed if this is truly a luxury vehicle should I be in the same service line as an Accent? All of my service has been done by the dealer, very expensive and my car had been returned with greasy hand prints on the interior, come on Hyundai up your game. Every time something needs to be repaired the parts are never on-hand and must be ordered. The vehicle rides like a truck the ride is harsh and punishing. The high points of the vehicle is the engine is very powerful for a V6 gas mileage is OK but not great, the A/C is powerful, the trunk is large but no fold down rear seats. The low points besides the harsh ride, there is a lag in acceleration which is dangerous and annoying, the vehicle at times can seem like the power steering is not there, the warranty assistance from Hyundai, I called their Corporate Headquarters to deal with my problems the person I spoke with was less then helpful and surly . The resale value sucks, you save on the purchase end but boom get stomped on the resale value. Would I purchase another Genesis no, I will part company with Hyundai and go with a more main stream brand