Used 2012 Hyundai Genesis 3.8 Sedan Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2012 Hyundai Genesis - Consumer Reviews

2012 Hyundai Genesis Sedan

View reviews for a specific Genesis model:

Never a problem!
By Ralph DiMare

2012 Hyundai Genesis Sedan 3.8 4dr Sedan (3.8L 6cyl 8A)

My 2012 fully loaded Genesis V6 has 55,000 miles and very reliable.

Suggested Improvements

Suspension lacking a bit ( needs to be a bit stiffer) but I'll take care of that when I get the 2015 Genesis.

3.8 Geneis
By noelle polson

2012 Hyundai Genesis Sedan 3.8 4dr Sedan (3.8L 6cyl 8A)

Bought used for 16K, best money i"ve ever spent for a car, loaded with tech and premuim pacakage; great radio, power, comfort etc. car has 51000 miles, feels and drives like new, couldn't be happier.

Favorite Features

interactive cruise, power, comfort, gas mileage

Nice Car - But Quality / Reliability Disappoints
By scbob1

2012 Hyundai Genesis Sedan 3.8 4dr Sedan (3.8L 6cyl 8A)

I want to really like my Genesis but it is not happening. It has many good things going for it - nice stereo, great gas mileage, peppy engine, nice ride. The down side is the quality and reliability disappoints. The windshield wiper blades went bad within14 months. The windshield wipers then failed and had to be replaced. It has a sturctural / noise issue with the unidbody which took Hyundai two years to find. Stuff that should not happen. I now notice the resale is not too hot so I guess I am stuck with it. Wish I had purchased an established brand llike Toyota or Honda while someone else worked out Hyundai start up problems. If the problems would go away, I could love it again.

Favorite Features

Peppy engine, good gas mileage, nice ride, great sound system, comfortable seats and a tastefully understated, elegant interior. Great road car.

Suggested Improvements

Quality does not match up with my Toyota and Honda experience - where cars are delivered without latent issues / problems. Hyundai has catch up to do. This is compounded by dealer service that is substandard compared to Honda and Toyota. This could be a nice car with improvements.

Won't buy another Hyundai
By mmdv61

2012 Hyundai Genesis Sedan 3.8 4dr Sedan (3.8L 6cyl 8A)

I have 33k on my 2012 Genesis. Since purchase in 8/2011 I have had the navigation replaced, the fuel injectors had to be cleaned because they were so dirty the car would stall in the middle of driving and now the oxygen sensor had to be replaced....stalling again, but this time the engine light went on so they could find the problem easier. Last time when it was stalling they couldn't find the problem until after keeping the car for 5 days. Now they recommend I buy fuel injector cleaner and put that in the tank every time I get an oil change in order to keep it from happening again. Even doing this, the car still has a rough idle at the start of the day.

Favorite Features

smooth ride and quiet.

Suggested Improvements

Have the exterior temperature shown at all time, rather than having to press a button. Allow the passenger front seat the option to be raised...feels like your are sitting in a hole. Provide an alert when the car is due for an oil change. Would have expected all these options in a car of this price and supposed luxury.

Nice Car for the Money
By dowpwr

2012 Hyundai Genesis Sedan 3.8 4dr Sedan (3.8L 6cyl 8A)

I can honestly say I'm glad I stopped at the dealership to test drive this car. I test drove the Azera, but once you're in a Genesis, there is no going back. Besides being dead silent on the hwy, it has an amazing stereo (I have the tech package), and plenty of other features that make this car a joy to drive. The cooled seats are a must in the summer, and ride is very smooth and comfortable. The tech is a little behind, but if you plug in your iPod or put a CD in, you will not hear a better sound in any other vehicle on the road. I would stick with the 3.6. It is plenty fast, and the super smooth transmission doesn't shift quickly enough to significantly improve your 0-60 time.

Favorite Features

Stereo, quietness, smooth tranny, gas mileage 28-30 on highway depending on how you drive. Cooled seats.

Suggested Improvements

better iPod integration, pandora would be nice. The back seat has a pass through, but a fold down seat would be optimal.