2012 Hyundai Genesis 5.0 R-Spec 5.0 R-Spec Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2012 Hyundai Genesis - Consumer Reviews

2012 Genesis Consumer Reviews

5.0 R-Spec 5.0L V8 8-speed Automatic - (7 reviews )

Sort Reviews by

2012 Genesis R-Spec 5.0
By bheitert

2012 Hyundai Genesis 5.0 R-Spec 5.0 R-Spec 4dr Sedan (5.0L 8cyl 8A)

Great car, blast to drive! Good looking car, most of the time no-one can figure out who makes the car. When I tell them it's a Hyundai they're dumbfounded. Took it to a 4th of July car show and won 3rd place in the Import Car class! Not bad for a 4 door.

Favorite Features

My favorite feature is the engine. 429 horsepower and rear wheel drive make this a car that is fun to drive. The car handles great in the corners and will even drift and burn rubber quite easily. Anyone that likes to drive and have fun this is the car for you!

Suggested Improvements

My biggest complaint is that there is no 'sport' switch for the transmission. The tranny is slow to shift up or down and using manual mode is worse than letting the car do the shifting by itself. Hyundai needs to improve the tranny so it can be used as a true sport sedan. My other complaint is that the 'ESC OFF' button doesn't actually turn off the traction control. It just bumps up the parameters so the traction control doesn't kick in as soon as it normally would. Be careful if you need a quick acceleration from a dead stop with the 'ESC' on. If so, be ready to be jerked around harshly if the computer senses any lose of traction. Hyundai desperately needs to address these issues.

R Spec Genesis WOW!!
By luv2nou2

2012 Hyundai Genesis 5.0 R-Spec 5.0 R-Spec 4dr Sedan (5.0L 8cyl 8A)

429 HP! 429 HP! Unbelievable size engine for this beautiful car! Hyundai engineers out did themselves on the exterior design, moderate pass on interior (what's with the Accent Steering wheel?). Can't complain, you get a lot of stuff for this price! Lexus pfft! MB pfft! BMW pfft! For this price you can't go wrong! Outstanding value! Outstanding Warranty! This car averages about 21 MPG in our first 800 miles? Not bad for 429 HP!! Sound system is INCREDIBLE! 17 speakers put you in another world! Harmon Kaden, Bose & Fender have nothing on this Lexicon system.

Favorite Features

Command knob with Nav, XM, Ipod, CD & DVD control! Awesome! Love the fold in mirrors and power rear shade! LEXICON sound WHOA!!

Suggested Improvements

AWD! c'mon Hyundai! Google Mapping and Cooled front passenger seat. Transmission response (sport mode maybe?).

What an amazing car
By mheib

2012 Hyundai Genesis 5.0 R-Spec 5.0 R-Spec 4dr Sedan (5.0L 8cyl 8A)

After owning everything from BMW, Lexus, Porsche, and Jags I must admit this is one of the finest of them all. Power, poise, comfort, and value.

Favorite Features

Engine, interior styling, exhaust embedded into rear bumper, tuck away mirrors, rear shade, backup camera, and a lexicon sound system....wow!

Suggested Improvements

All wheel drive would really make this a grand slam.

Hyundai Genesis 5.0 R-Spec Excellent Car
By charlie_r43

2012 Hyundai Genesis 5.0 R-Spec 5.0 R-Spec 4dr Sedan (5.0L 8cyl 8A)

I have owned my 5.0 R-Spec for 10 months and the car lives up to everything Hyundai said the car would be. There are reviews out there giving the car a medicore rating. I completely disagree with them. The interior is well thought out and the leather is of a high quality. All of the instruments and navigation systems are easy to use. The engine is very responsive and will pin your back into the seat when floored. Cornering is improved with the upgraded suspension. Overall the ride is quiet and comfortable. The Genesis is very sporty for a luxury car though it is not a true sports car. The Genesis is more of a luxury car and a muscle car combined. Still makes me smile!

Favorite Features

The 429 horsepower engine

Suggested Improvements

Needs a sport mode for the gear box. The drivers seat is airconditioned but not the passenger's seat.

Awesome Car
By jenniferkay

2012 Hyundai Genesis 5.0 R-Spec 5.0 R-Spec 4dr Sedan (5.0L 8cyl 8A)

I drove this car for the first time and it is amazing....I LOVE IT....

Favorite Features

Smooth steering, Smooth arounf the corners, Comfortable seating, Everything is well with in reach of the driver. So many great features, to many to list....

Suggested Improvements

Allow the drivers seat needs to go lower....

So Noisy. OMG!
By rumbling

2012 Hyundai Genesis 5.0 R-Spec 5.0 R-Spec 4dr Sedan (5.0L 8cyl 8A)

What is all this raving reviews about the car being so quiet! Both the regular v-8 and the R-Spec have unacceptable road/tire/wind noise, especially on the driver side. Changing tires from Michellin to Continental did not help. It is a constant hum/rumbling which should not be there, if Hyundai wants to compete in the "luxury" car market.

Suggested Improvements

Got to eliminate the Snow-Tire like noise.

Five years in the waiting and I chose Genesis
By murrman

2012 Hyundai Genesis 5.0 R-Spec 5.0 R-Spec 4dr Sedan (5.0L 8cyl 8A)

For as long as I can remember, my ideal car was going to be a BMW 5 Series, but all that changed with Genesis. After test driving BMW & Lexus, and seriously considering a2012 Dodge SRT8 Charger I went with the Genesis 5.0. The 550i was in the mid $60K, and although the SRT8 was tempting the 2012 R-Spec had the entire package I was looking for, especially since I opted for the Bridgestone summer tires. The ride is moderately harsh but I live in SW FL and our roads are pristine, and coming out of a '08 Sonata Limited I welcome the cornering ability. No company can beat Hyundai's warranty, reliability, and service. I'm 100% satisfied although I think the R-Spec should've included an iPod.

Favorite Features

I love every feature in this car but the 17 speaker Lexicon sound system is one of my favorite. I've only had it 3 weeks and the Fl weather has started to cool a bit, but I did test out the ventilated driver's seats and that is also a winner with me. I've received nothing but compliments in this car, and went to dinner a few days ago on my first road trip and was happy to see the Valet put it up front. Go Hyundai. The 19' wheels with the Bridgestone summer tires gives this car an aggressive look, and the 429 hp engine moves. I also love the bluetooth connectivity and setting up my iPhone was very simple.

Suggested Improvements

Some improvements in the suspension and ride quality is needed, especially when travelling on less than perfect road/highways. Navigation commands need to process a little swiifter, and unless I need to update my software, I hate the fact that my systems does not speak all the street names. I had a portable Garmin Nuvi in my Sonata that is much better. Offer a OEM trunk lid/deck spoiler for the R-Spec to distinguish it from the rest of the Genesis line-up. Other than that everyting else is great. Loving my R-Spec.