Used 2012 Hyundai Genesis Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2012 Hyundai Genesis - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Genesis model:

WOW! MB E350 vs Hyundai Genesis 3.8
By Jay Tate

2012 Hyundai Genesis 3.8 4dr Sedan (3.8L 6cyl 8A)

Traded my 2011 MB for 2012 Genesis after 2.5 years with the E350 4-Matic. Should have done this years ago. I bought in April 2015. It was a leased turn-in with ONLY 5783 miles. First noticed great acceleration...3.8 vs 3.5! Second, fuel economy... 19.5 around town; 32 on the road vs 18 and 28. The great cost savings feature: regular fuel for the 3.8 vs hi-test for the E350! As others have reported, there is a slight lag gear shifting in city driving but NOT on the highway. Mine has the fantastic technology package...front parking sensor is very convenient; rear camera with parking sensor is great; active cruise control does not allow me to sneak up on a slower driver. BTW, great dashboard graphics on the active cruise. Vent seat is great...but, would like vent in passenger seat as well. Genesis's leather seats are far superior compared to the MB's faux leather. My E350 driver's seat developed a crack near the sown seam at 51K miles. I had the 6-year/100K warranty. The MB dealer would not honor...saying crack was due to fair wear. That's BS! My girl friend's 2012 GLK 350 has 90K (she's a manufacturer's rep), has same seat faux leather material, she's in and out all the time, and her seat has not cracked. (Yet one more reason why I traded!) Per another review, I assume the tech package comes with rear privacy curtain. I like this feature...MB had same. Overall, the Genesis 3.8 with tech package is by far superior to my MB E350. And for less, $$$, one gets a LOT more automobile. Oh yes, if you like the Genesis wing emblem, this can be ordered to replace the leaning H emblem....front, rear, and on the wheel rim hub covers. Last comment....WOW! is a great way to describe this automobile.

For the value it's the best midsize luxury car!
By operationdoom

2012 Hyundai Genesis 3.8 4dr Sedan (3.8L 6cyl 8A)

I bought my Genesis a few months ago and it's a 2012 with 30,000 miles. It's very comfortable and seats 5 easily with lots of room. It is very quick for its size and definitely turns heads. The only downside is the gas mileage is 22 mixed and city 18. It's a great car for the value!

-Stereo -Ventilated Drivers Seat -Heated Seats for Everyone -Parking Sensors -Size of the Car -Smoothness

-Wish it had more leather or wood -Ventilated seats for everyone -Sunshades for rear windows

Pleased from Day One
By Derrick Crandall

2012 Hyundai Genesis 4.6 4dr Sedan (4.6L 8cyl 8A)

After a decade of driving Cadillacs -- mostly SRXs -- I decided to see what else I could find in the $40K range. After looking at BMWs and Audis, I drove the Genesis 4.6L and took it home that night. Looked very nice, had far more features for the money. And I have been 98% delighted ever since. Great warranty and pretty good dealer support for normal maintenance. Only problem -- really, the only problem -- is a mysterious failure of the entertainment center once every 80 or so starts. On for 15 seconds, then off for 15 seconds. Can't find a way to correct it once it occurs ... but after being off for a few hours it is back to normal, and normal is very, very good with great sound syste

quick -- very quick even with regular fuel an ECON setting handles nicely -- perhaps not up to BMW standards, but very nimble remarkable MPG. drove 100 miles today back from Richmond, VA, and averaged 28 MPG while traveling 75 MPH carries five comfortably -- really

Paint is not up to luxury car finish

Never a problem!
By Ralph DiMare

2012 Hyundai Genesis 3.8 4dr Sedan (3.8L 6cyl 8A)

My 2012 fully loaded Genesis V6 has 55,000 miles and very reliable.

Suspension lacking a bit ( needs to be a bit stiffer) but I'll take care of that when I get the 2015 Genesis.

horsepower to gas mileage ratio is unsurpassed
By Ned White

2012 Hyundai Genesis 4.6 4dr Sedan (4.6L 8cyl 8A)

I have 40,000 mi. on my 2012 4.6L 385hp v8 sedan. With(10% ethanol) premium gasoline 93 octane, I get 21mpg around town and 26mpg on the highway in cruise (65mph) I found a gas station in NH that sells pure 91 octane gasoline (no ethanol) I fill up there often. My gas mileage immediately goes up to 31mpg (in summer) in cruise control at 65mph. Try to find a car anywhere that has that much HP and still gets 31mpg. Incredible ! (shows what a scam ethanol is also)

Sounds system is the best I have ever heard in a car. Handles and rides nice. It goes from 55mph to 100mph in what can only be described as startling quickness.

Due to the super smooth but unresponsive transmission which has a 2 second delay when you floor the pedal, it is sluggish in traffic. Sometimes dangerously slow to respond. Drives my crazy sometimes. If it were not for this fault, I would give this car a 5 rating on performance and value.