Used 2012 Hyundai Genesis Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2012 Hyundai Genesis - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Genesis model:

What car did they drive!
By John Landry

2012 Hyundai Genesis 5.0 R-Spec 4dr Sedan (5.0L 8cyl 8A)

I drove the Mercedes e350 and s550, the BWM 550 and 328i, the Lexus 460, the Cadillac CTS 3.6 platinum, Infinity M, and the Lincoln mkX. I was looking for a powerful, quiet, competent, and good handling replacement for my DTS Cadillac. I have recently owned a BMW z4 and 330i. No matter what the reviews say, I get nearly 30MPG highway (28-29). I replaced the stock continental tires with Michelins and the car got even quieter. I measured it with the spl meter on the iphone. It is now just as quiet as a Lexus, but with way more guts and glory. it does not have the intuitively rewarding handling that the e/s Mercedes or the BMWs, but is you are looking for something between the BMW 550 or S550 and the Lexus with a much better stereo and no stigma, this is it! Note - the new (2015) Cadillac CTS 3.6 was amazing - I looked at my wife during the test drive and I quickly deduced I would have to fight to drive it, It is a very appealing and great performing car with the best stereo ever devised in an automobile. Check it out...way to go Bose/Cadillac. Lexus Mark Levinson pales in comparison! By the way, the caddy is my favorite car of all I drove and mentioned, but the dealer was way overpriced on these. They wanted nearly $40k for a used one. I bought this my second favorite/second place Genesis R Spec for 26K with only 25k miles! It is a steal!

Good but no cigar better options out there
By Steve

2012 Hyundai Genesis 3.8 4dr Sedan (3.8L 6cyl 8A)

Hyundai is trying to build a luxury brand, but, I think maybe they are 5 - 10 years away. I have had several major problems with my vehicle and Hyundai seems to like stating owner problem can not be duplicated and leave it at that. I had problems with the dash lights flickering from night time brightness to daytime brightness and Hyundai could not duplicate. I also had problems with the power windows and locks been driving vehicles with this equipment since the 1990's with not problems. The service experience needs to be addressed if this is truly a luxury vehicle should I be in the same service line as an Accent? All of my service has been done by the dealer, very expensive and my car had been returned with greasy hand prints on the interior, come on Hyundai up your game. Every time something needs to be repaired the parts are never on-hand and must be ordered. The vehicle rides like a truck the ride is harsh and punishing. The high points of the vehicle is the engine is very powerful for a V6 gas mileage is OK but not great, the A/C is powerful, the trunk is large but no fold down rear seats. The low points besides the harsh ride, there is a lag in acceleration which is dangerous and annoying, the vehicle at times can seem like the power steering is not there, the warranty assistance from Hyundai, I called their Corporate Headquarters to deal with my problems the person I spoke with was less then helpful and surly . The resale value sucks, you save on the purchase end but boom get stomped on the resale value. Would I purchase another Genesis no, I will part company with Hyundai and go with a more main stream brand

3.8 Economy disappointed
By Steve Barlow

2012 Hyundai Genesis 3.8 4dr Sedan (3.8L 6cyl 8A)

I have read reviews that say 30MPG on highway, most I have had is 22.4 Should I have it checked? I have had MBZ 500s and the Genesis is a lot more car, I probably will not go back. There IS a surprise, if you are second owner the warranty is only 5 yrs 50,000 miles NOT 10 Year. after 5 years you are on your own. I didn't find this out until I had purchased the car. This was the only negative think I would say. I can find no reason for the big drop in pricing for 3 years..if you are thinking of buying one DO IT you will not be disappointed!!!

I didn't want this car. But I'm glad I have it.
By James

2012 Hyundai Genesis 4.6 4dr Sedan (4.6L 8cyl 8A)

I bought an Audi S4 from a Hyundai dealership and literally 5 days later it blew up. Long story short, I bought where is as is (car had 100K on it, and a new motor - so I didn't really care and I was willing to take my chances) After a bit of a fight, the dealership - they said "hey, if you buy this, we'll take the paperweight S4 in as a trade. I obliged. I'm a brand snob, I'll say it - BMW and VW/Audi have been my jam since I was in my early 20's. (TT, Jetta, 318i, M3 sedan, S4....) Well, I bit the bullet and swallowed my pride and took on this "cheap" korean wannabe luxobarge. My complaint: The car isn't ugly, it just doesn't have an identity - it's not unique or special in any way - until you drive it. The car is fantastic. 27 MPG on the interstate a low of 17 when driving around crowded Kansas City streets.... but who cares, the car has the most FANTASTIC stereo I've ever heard ANYWHERE. Car, house, boat... anywhere. There isn't much else to say - don't let your brand loyalty sway you from this car. It rules.

Changed my perspective of Hyundai
By Jim

2012 Hyundai Genesis 3.8 4dr Sedan (3.8L 6cyl 8A)

This is the first Hyundai I have ever owned. I've been driving a couple of Mitsubishi Lancers and a Chrysler 300. So vehicles that stand out compared to the original smo joe car. I work at a dealership and this car came in well priced. Had to jump on it! Beautifully designed and amazing comfort. 0 complaints

• SUV