Used 2011 Hyundai Genesis Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2011 Hyundai Genesis - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Genesis model:

Used to be a BMW-only guy
By uncgq

2011 Hyundai Genesis 4.6 4dr Sedan (4.6L 8cyl 6A)

I used to say that I would only ever buy a BMW but when I drove this car, I was convinced otherwise. I'll never sell my manual trans 735, it's a classic, but this thing has 'it'. If you don't care about snob appeal, this is the car to buy, hands down. Plenty of power, interior comfort, a great 'long drive' car. For me the build quality surpasses current model BMWs and feels much better made. Purchased a CPO with 45K miles and have put 40K miles this year and have yet to be disappointed.

Favorite Features

The 'integrated' nav/audio/etc. is dead simple to use. I hate poorly designed, un-intuitive systems that are in most cars and this one is miles better than most. I never needed the Owner's Manual to figure out any feature of the vehicle. Oh, and the audio system is as good as any in the world. Simply unbelievable. Pop in an DVD-A disc and hear audio like you've never experienced in a car before.

Suggested Improvements

No fold down rear seat.

Love it!
By caseoane

2011 Hyundai Genesis 4.6 4dr Sedan (4.6L 8cyl 6A)

I bought this car in Jan 2013 with 19k miles. I was considering a BMW 550 or A6 4.2, but my Genesis was exactly HALF the price of an equivalent German sedan (I paid $25k all included, in mint condition, with warranty until forever). And my genesis is quieter, safer and more reliable than any BMW or Audi, too. I had some qualms about the lack of a premium badge, but now I consider it a point of pride: I look at a guy in a BMW and think of the extra $25k I have in the bank...

Favorite Features

Very quiet, very smooth, feels really solid and well built. The engine is endless, there is ALWAYS power. Mine is fully loaded with the Technology package, so I have all the features I need and then some.

Suggested Improvements

I would like it to handle a bit more aggressively, maybe with a bit less body-roll.

Great value for money
By bmwe32

2011 Hyundai Genesis 4.6 4dr Sedan (4.6L 8cyl 6A)

Purchased a CPO 2011 4.6 with all the options 6 months ago. Have put about 12K miles on it since then and love it to death. I can get 28 - 30 on the highway at speed if I'm not obnoxious with it. You definitely don't want for power or luxury goodies in this one. I always said I'd never buy anything that wasn't a BMW, but they aren't made like they used to be and this one seems to be. If you detest the 'feel' of most newer cars, check this one out. Steering that feels like your actually connected to something and isn't overly light. A ride that is communicative and design that is well thought out.

Favorite Features

I absolutely love how well thought out the car is. I'm sure there are little nibbles I'd change here and there but it's so much better designed within the interior space than most cars (including the electronic interface). Things are where you expect them. They feel good to the touch. They don't feel like cheap 'rental car plastic' or a down-market vehicle. People who drive cars and love to be inside them designed this car. It wasn't an afterthought. They aimed high and hit the mark with this one. If you're looking for a 5 series and don't care about 'badge', make sure to drive this, you won't regret it. Love all the space under the trunk floor (cleaning supplies,)

Suggested Improvements

Improvements? Being really picky here . . . Separate the CD and Aux button so you don't actually switch when you hit it twice. Bluetooth audio integration (stream from my phone, not just calls, etc.) Remember my preferences for all things such as 'Auto Hold', 'Adaptive Cruise Distance', etc. Include map updates as standard and not an extra at the dealer. Rear seats that fold down (they are super comfy however)

Nice car , BUT...
By balddog

2011 Hyundai Genesis 4.6 4dr Sedan (4.6L 8cyl 6A)

Have owned 3 years now, 16,500 miles. It's a shame, as I really like the comfort, and value of this car, BUT ... I have had to have car jump started 6 times in 3 years. Hyundai claims that I don't drive the car enough to keep battery charged. I work part-time (1 day/week) and car may sit 2 - 3 days between use (average 100 mi/week). Was told that if car sits for a week (say at airport when on vacation) expect that battery will have discharged and need a jump. Don't see Mercedes, BMW or Lexus with this problem. Also, ride is a little stiff for my tastes.

Favorite Features

Interior room (I'm 6'5" - people can actually sit behind me), power, reasonable gas mileage (4.6 engine)

Suggested Improvements

Ride is a little stiff, Battery issue for anyone who may not use car everyday.

Genesis Sedan 3.8L V-6, loaded
By boilergonzo

2011 Hyundai Genesis 3.8 4dr Sedan (3.8L 6cyl 6A)

Test drove BMW 3/5 series, Audi A4/6, Mercedes C/E, Infiniti G/M, Lexus IS/E/G, and bought the Genesis. If dollars were equal, I would now own a loaded BMW 535, A6, Infiniti M37, or MB E350. The challenge became the incredible value of the not-so-prestigious Hyundai! Heated and Cooled seats (not ventilated... COOLED!), back-up camera, Lexicon sound system (AMAZING!!!), HID directional lights, auto-hold brakes, adaptive cruise control... if you can live without brand prestige, the value of this car is off the charts! 20,000 miles, zero problems, accelerates very strong, drives great, and I love it. No regrets at all. Would absolutely buy it again!

Favorite Features

Interior is great! Lexicon radio is among the best. AWESOME! Adaptive brakes (if in traffic, once stopped you can take foot off brake, and car will hold in place until you push on the gas... great for Chicago rush hour!). Adaptive Cruise control (set it and drive from Chicago to Indianapolis, and let the car slow down for slower vehicles, then accelerate back up to set speed... works with motorcycles, etc... great feature!). Rain sensing wipers (when raindrops hit, they wipe... otherwise they wait until they sense water) Cooled seat. Heat is nice, but chilled is even nicer! Adaptive headlights (aim into corners) Nothing other premium makes don't have... just not at this price.

Suggested Improvements

The GPS is better in some ways, and worse in others. Overall, I prefere a more "Garmin-like" experience, and am not always happy with the Genesis approach. To be fair, in many of the competing brands, they have similar quirks in searching and entering data, so the Genesis is on par, but could be much better. No auto-raise/lower of the trunk is a bit of a surprising omission, given the excess of other high-tech goodies. A brand uplift is needed. The car is already there, but (if no separate dealership) a separate area in the Hyundai showroom for Genesis and Equus customers might be nice. Also, remove the blah slant "H", and put the Hyundai Genesis "Wing" logo on all Genesis cars.