Used 2011 Hyundai Genesis Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2011 Hyundai Genesis - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Genesis model:

Service
By Larry James.

2011 Hyundai Genesis 4.6 4dr Sedan (4.6L 8cyl 6A)

This car is a lemon. It has spent 7 month out of 3 years in the shop. I am on my third engine. Now they will not fix my radio and nav system. I have had it the shop 4 times the the radio and nav.

Used to be a BMW-only guy
By uncgq

2011 Hyundai Genesis 4.6 4dr Sedan (4.6L 8cyl 6A)

I used to say that I would only ever buy a BMW but when I drove this car, I was convinced otherwise. I'll never sell my manual trans 735, it's a classic, but this thing has 'it'. If you don't care about snob appeal, this is the car to buy, hands down. Plenty of power, interior comfort, a great 'long drive' car. For me the build quality surpasses current model BMWs and feels much better made. Purchased a CPO with 45K miles and have put 40K miles this year and have yet to be disappointed.

The 'integrated' nav/audio/etc. is dead simple to use. I hate poorly designed, un-intuitive systems that are in most cars and this one is miles better than most. I never needed the Owner's Manual to figure out any feature of the vehicle. Oh, and the audio system is as good as any in the world. Simply unbelievable. Pop in an DVD-A disc and hear audio like you've never experienced in a car before.

No fold down rear seat.

Love it!
By caseoane

2011 Hyundai Genesis 4.6 4dr Sedan (4.6L 8cyl 6A)

I bought this car in Jan 2013 with 19k miles. I was considering a BMW 550 or A6 4.2, but my Genesis was exactly HALF the price of an equivalent German sedan (I paid $25k all included, in mint condition, with warranty until forever). And my genesis is quieter, safer and more reliable than any BMW or Audi, too. I had some qualms about the lack of a premium badge, but now I consider it a point of pride: I look at a guy in a BMW and think of the extra $25k I have in the bank...

Very quiet, very smooth, feels really solid and well built. The engine is endless, there is ALWAYS power. Mine is fully loaded with the Technology package, so I have all the features I need and then some.

I would like it to handle a bit more aggressively, maybe with a bit less body-roll.

Great value for money
By bmwe32

2011 Hyundai Genesis 4.6 4dr Sedan (4.6L 8cyl 6A)

Purchased a CPO 2011 4.6 with all the options 6 months ago. Have put about 12K miles on it since then and love it to death. I can get 28 - 30 on the highway at speed if I'm not obnoxious with it. You definitely don't want for power or luxury goodies in this one. I always said I'd never buy anything that wasn't a BMW, but they aren't made like they used to be and this one seems to be. If you detest the 'feel' of most newer cars, check this one out. Steering that feels like your actually connected to something and isn't overly light. A ride that is communicative and design that is well thought out.

I absolutely love how well thought out the car is. I'm sure there are little nibbles I'd change here and there but it's so much better designed within the interior space than most cars (including the electronic interface). Things are where you expect them. They feel good to the touch. They don't feel like cheap 'rental car plastic' or a down-market vehicle. People who drive cars and love to be inside them designed this car. It wasn't an afterthought. They aimed high and hit the mark with this one. If you're looking for a 5 series and don't care about 'badge', make sure to drive this, you won't regret it. Love all the space under the trunk floor (cleaning supplies,)

Improvements? Being really picky here . . . Separate the CD and Aux button so you don't actually switch when you hit it twice. Bluetooth audio integration (stream from my phone, not just calls, etc.) Remember my preferences for all things such as 'Auto Hold', 'Adaptive Cruise Distance', etc. Include map updates as standard and not an extra at the dealer. Rear seats that fold down (they are super comfy however)

Nice car , BUT...
By balddog

2011 Hyundai Genesis 4.6 4dr Sedan (4.6L 8cyl 6A)

Have owned 3 years now, 16,500 miles. It's a shame, as I really like the comfort, and value of this car, BUT ... I have had to have car jump started 6 times in 3 years. Hyundai claims that I don't drive the car enough to keep battery charged. I work part-time (1 day/week) and car may sit 2 - 3 days between use (average 100 mi/week). Was told that if car sits for a week (say at airport when on vacation) expect that battery will have discharged and need a jump. Don't see Mercedes, BMW or Lexus with this problem. Also, ride is a little stiff for my tastes.

Interior room (I'm 6'5" - people can actually sit behind me), power, reasonable gas mileage (4.6 engine)

Ride is a little stiff, Battery issue for anyone who may not use car everyday.