Used 2009 Hyundai Genesis Sedan Consumer Reviews - 236 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2009 Hyundai Genesis Sedan - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Genesis model:

my 2009 buggy
By john tammaro

2009 Hyundai Genesis Sedan 4.6 4dr Sedan (4.6L 8cyl 6A)

First model year Genesis. I'd buy it again!
By AZKerry

MY GENESIS 4.6
By jerrymax

2009 Hyundai Genesis Sedan 4.6 4dr Sedan (4.6L 8cyl 6A)

I bought my 2009 Genesis six months ago strictly as a touring sedan. I quickly put 1200 miles on the odometer on a road trip and only another 1200 more since then. It is a beautiful car, very comfortable and moves like a rocket if you tap the gas. The build quality is rock solid and the 17 speaker sound system is the best I've ever heard. I'd give it a top rating on everything but the "fun to drive" item due to steering that is precise but feels sort of numb. But as a full-sized luxury car it's not meant to handle like a Porsche.

The stereo system is awesome and so is the acceleration. With 375 hp under the hood there aren't many cars on the road that this thing can't leave in the dust. The seats are very comfortable on a long trip and the car inspires confidence in the driver. I'd advise using the cruise control or else you will find yourself at 90 mph without knowing how fast you're moving. It is that smooth a ride! I also think it's a great looking car. I've parked it alongside a mid-sized Mercedes and a BMW 5-Series and I honestly though the Genesis looked more impressive than either of them.

I've noticed that on a bright sunny day the back-up camera screen can be hard to read due to glare. Loosen up the steering somehow so that the driver feels more connected to the road. My car came with Micheline tires on the front and Dunlops on the rear. As with many other Genesis owners, I've discovered that the Michelines wear well but the Dunlops just do not last. I am 66 years old and I don't burn rubber on acceleration yet the Dunlops look shot at 24,500 miles while the Michelines look almost new. How about using 4 Michelines instead of mixing up the tires?

Do not buy - brakes fail on lots of HYUNDAIs
By i_love_carz

2009 Hyundai Genesis Sedan 3.8 4dr Sedan (3.8L 6cyl 6A)

Brake pedal goes to the floor occasionally.

No braking at all!!!

I am told the ABS module has failed and not covered by warranty at 62,199 miles as I am the 2nd owner.

$2,500 repair cost.

This is a chronic/common problem with Hyundais and should be covered as a recall because the engineering/manufacturing process or something is obviously is defective!

Do your research as brake problems with Hyundais is way too common.

Go to http://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov and look for yourself

Just bought a 3.8 Genesis Sedan
By ibuy4u

2009 Hyundai Genesis Sedan 3.8 4dr Sedan (3.8L 6cyl 6A)

I was skeptical of Hyundai just like you. I wouldn't even look in the direction of this brand before BUT in these times...if your credit is shot due to the economy and can't get the car you drove before or want then this might be the car for you. After driving the Genesis I was pleasantly surprised! 3 main factors that caught my attention. Driveablity, Technology and Accessories. It drove like a cream puff. Smooth "very" smooth engine and tranny with kick when you need it. Technology available is just as good and plentiful as the rest with BMW and Audi hand controls. Accesories you would normaly have to buy as an option is included in the Genesis. Great value and warranty for the buck!

LED cockpit and footwells just like the A8. All windows go all the way down and not halfway. Power rear sunshade with auto folddown in reverse. Keyless-go works great with audible beep not horn. All doors illuminate the ground when opened. Venitilated seats warm and cold. Radio/Navigation/DVD controls at your right hand just like the BMW 7 series and Audi A6/8 models. HID adaptive headlamps. And a loud, crisp, thumping surround sound 17 speaker system. Pretty damn good for stock! And most of all, the best piece of mind you can get is 10yr 100k mile bumper to bumber warranty. Anything breaks the dealer fixes! Piece of mind=stability!

I just bought this car (6/12) and only had it for a few weeks. No problem to report as of yet. I will post here if any issues arises. I've read alot about tranny issues or sudden acceleration etc. I'll be the judge of that and will post if I ever experience any issues. I will tell you this...I've owned high end luxury sedans and for the money...this car has ALL the accesories you demand and want. Now lets see if the car holds up mechanically wise but time will tell. Hope this post was informative to all you buyers. I bought this vechile based on a few factors. 1. If you have kids (2-3yrs olds) back seats enough room for car seats. 2. Warranty is 100k bumber-2-bumber. 3. Value. Good luck.