Used 2009 Hyundai Genesis Sedan Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2009 Hyundai Genesis - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Genesis model:

MY GENESIS 4.6
By jerrymax

2009 Hyundai Genesis Sedan 4.6 4dr Sedan (4.6L 8cyl 6A)

I bought my 2009 Genesis six months ago strictly as a touring sedan. I quickly put 1200 miles on the odometer on a road trip and only another 1200 more since then. It is a beautiful car, very comfortable and moves like a rocket if you tap the gas. The build quality is rock solid and the 17 speaker sound system is the best I've ever heard. I'd give it a top rating on everything but the "fun to drive" item due to steering that is precise but feels sort of numb. But as a full-sized luxury car it's not meant to handle like a Porsche.

Favorite Features

The stereo system is awesome and so is the acceleration. With 375 hp under the hood there aren't many cars on the road that this thing can't leave in the dust. The seats are very comfortable on a long trip and the car inspires confidence in the driver. I'd advise using the cruise control or else you will find yourself at 90 mph without knowing how fast you're moving. It is that smooth a ride! I also think it's a great looking car. I've parked it alongside a mid-sized Mercedes and a BMW 5-Series and I honestly though the Genesis looked more impressive than either of them.

Suggested Improvements

I've noticed that on a bright sunny day the back-up camera screen can be hard to read due to glare. Loosen up the steering somehow so that the driver feels more connected to the road. My car came with Micheline tires on the front and Dunlops on the rear. As with many other Genesis owners, I've discovered that the Michelines wear well but the Dunlops just do not last. I am 66 years old and I don't burn rubber on acceleration yet the Dunlops look shot at 24,500 miles while the Michelines look almost new. How about using 4 Michelines instead of mixing up the tires?

Do not buy - brakes fail on lots of HYUNDAIs
By i_love_carz

2009 Hyundai Genesis Sedan 3.8 4dr Sedan (3.8L 6cyl 6A)

Brake pedal goes to the floor occasionally. No braking at all!!! I am told the ABS module has failed and not covered by warranty at 62,199 miles as I am the 2nd owner. $2,500 repair cost. This is a chronic/common problem with Hyundais and should be covered as a recall because the engineering/manufacturing process or something is obviously is defective! Do your research as brake problems with Hyundais is way too common. Go to http://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov and look for yourself

Just bought a 3.8 Genesis Sedan
By ibuy4u

2009 Hyundai Genesis Sedan 3.8 4dr Sedan (3.8L 6cyl 6A)

I was skeptical of Hyundai just like you. I wouldn't even look in the direction of this brand before BUT in these times...if your credit is shot due to the economy and can't get the car you drove before or want then this might be the car for you. After driving the Genesis I was pleasantly surprised! 3 main factors that caught my attention. Driveablity, Technology and Accessories. It drove like a cream puff. Smooth "very" smooth engine and tranny with kick when you need it. Technology available is just as good and plentiful as the rest with BMW and Audi hand controls. Accesories you would normaly have to buy as an option is included in the Genesis. Great value and warranty for the buck!

Favorite Features

LED cockpit and footwells just like the A8. All windows go all the way down and not halfway. Power rear sunshade with auto folddown in reverse. Keyless-go works great with audible beep not horn. All doors illuminate the ground when opened. Venitilated seats warm and cold. Radio/Navigation/DVD controls at your right hand just like the BMW 7 series and Audi A6/8 models. HID adaptive headlamps. And a loud, crisp, thumping surround sound 17 speaker system. Pretty damn good for stock! And most of all, the best piece of mind you can get is 10yr 100k mile bumper to bumber warranty. Anything breaks the dealer fixes! Piece of mind=stability!

Suggested Improvements

I just bought this car (6/12) and only had it for a few weeks. No problem to report as of yet. I will post here if any issues arises. I've read alot about tranny issues or sudden acceleration etc. I'll be the judge of that and will post if I ever experience any issues. I will tell you this...I've owned high end luxury sedans and for the money...this car has ALL the accesories you demand and want. Now lets see if the car holds up mechanically wise but time will tell. Hope this post was informative to all you buyers. I bought this vechile based on a few factors. 1. If you have kids (2-3yrs olds) back seats enough room for car seats. 2. Warranty is 100k bumber-2-bumber. 3. Value. Good luck.

I Must Have The Only Lemon They Made or Do I ?
By bitesback

2009 Hyundai Genesis Sedan 4.6 4dr Sedan (4.6L 8cyl 6A)

The 2009 Genesis/4dr Sdn 4.6L V8 I have leased since 07/09 from Sheehy Nissan Hyundai is a true lemon! Even after submitting a lemon law complaint to to dealership and Hyundai Motor America for numerous electrical issues, replacement of the transmission, catalytic converter burn out, interior frnt. windshield condensation build up during the cold months, gear shift sticking on more one occasion, starter switch being replaced, steering column control switch failure, the rubber seal in the sun roof coming out, brake light failure, they still refuse to take this piece of junk back! I believe it's a faulty parts problem as some of their car have had the same issues. Hyundai Assurance (Not)!!!

Favorite Features

The hands free features are good, as I feel they should be available in all vehicles now days for safety reasons. Used to be able to hit 120 with out a problem prior to the vehicle having so many electrical problems. Once they started the vehicle was being serviced every three months after the first year. I say Hyundai owners/leases taking a stand and do a class action law suit for faulty parts instead of a car problem. Electrical and transmission issues are major in this Genesis SDN 4.6L V8. Searched for Sheehy Nissan Hyundai of Waldorf MD to write a review and can't seem to locate a web site for them, so this helps me express my frustration in having 7 invoices for major repairs.

Suggested Improvements

Stop using faulty parts in your vehicles. After several major issues not even two years of leasing is pretty overwhelming for any one to contend with! Genesis or not the one I am driving with a lot of hesitation shouldn't even be on the road. Who knows what will shut down on me next. It's pretty bad when the service manager tell you he's replaced a lot of techs. because they were failing to make repairs when in fact they were not! My first complaint was after my 15,000 service check. No problems going in but after I left everything started falling apart and hasn't stopped yet. Shame the consumer has to deal with such poor service from a dealership and Hyundai Motor America. Emotional!

Bad Tires O Genesis
By jspong002

2009 Hyundai Genesis Sedan 3.8 4dr Sedan (3.8L 6cyl 6A)

After only 7500 miles my two rear tires were completely bald. The dealer replaced them commenting they had never seen anything like that before. After the next 8000 miles the remaing two tires were also bald, but the dealer and Hyundai refused to replace. Do not buy a Hyundai with Dunlop Sp Sport 5000 m tires. Insist the dealer change them or don't buy the car. These are junk tires and should never be put on a car, as they are unsafe.

Favorite Features

The Genesis is a great car, but they have cheapened it with the Dunlop SP Sport 5000M tires.

Suggested Improvements

Get rid of the Dunlop SP Sport 5000M tires.