2009 Hyundai Genesis 3.8 Sedan Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2009 Hyundai Genesis - Consumer Reviews

2009 Genesis Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Genesis model:

Sort Reviews by

Do not buy - brakes fail on lots of HYUNDAIs
By i_love_carz

2009 Hyundai Genesis Sedan 3.8 4dr Sedan (3.8L 6cyl 6A)

Brake pedal goes to the floor occasionally. No braking at all!!! I am told the ABS module has failed and not covered by warranty at 62,199 miles as I am the 2nd owner. $2,500 repair cost. This is a chronic/common problem with Hyundais and should be covered as a recall because the engineering/manufacturing process or something is obviously is defective! Do your research as brake problems with Hyundais is way too common. Go to http://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov and look for yourself

Just bought a 3.8 Genesis Sedan
By ibuy4u

2009 Hyundai Genesis Sedan 3.8 4dr Sedan (3.8L 6cyl 6A)

I was skeptical of Hyundai just like you. I wouldn't even look in the direction of this brand before BUT in these times...if your credit is shot due to the economy and can't get the car you drove before or want then this might be the car for you. After driving the Genesis I was pleasantly surprised! 3 main factors that caught my attention. Driveablity, Technology and Accessories. It drove like a cream puff. Smooth "very" smooth engine and tranny with kick when you need it. Technology available is just as good and plentiful as the rest with BMW and Audi hand controls. Accesories you would normaly have to buy as an option is included in the Genesis. Great value and warranty for the buck!

Favorite Features

LED cockpit and footwells just like the A8. All windows go all the way down and not halfway. Power rear sunshade with auto folddown in reverse. Keyless-go works great with audible beep not horn. All doors illuminate the ground when opened. Venitilated seats warm and cold. Radio/Navigation/DVD controls at your right hand just like the BMW 7 series and Audi A6/8 models. HID adaptive headlamps. And a loud, crisp, thumping surround sound 17 speaker system. Pretty damn good for stock! And most of all, the best piece of mind you can get is 10yr 100k mile bumper to bumber warranty. Anything breaks the dealer fixes! Piece of mind=stability!

Suggested Improvements

I just bought this car (6/12) and only had it for a few weeks. No problem to report as of yet. I will post here if any issues arises. I've read alot about tranny issues or sudden acceleration etc. I'll be the judge of that and will post if I ever experience any issues. I will tell you this...I've owned high end luxury sedans and for the money...this car has ALL the accesories you demand and want. Now lets see if the car holds up mechanically wise but time will tell. Hope this post was informative to all you buyers. I bought this vechile based on a few factors. 1. If you have kids (2-3yrs olds) back seats enough room for car seats. 2. Warranty is 100k bumber-2-bumber. 3. Value. Good luck.

I Must Have The Only Lemon They Made or Do I ?
By bitesback

2009 Hyundai Genesis Sedan 4.6 4dr Sedan (4.6L 8cyl 6A)

The 2009 Genesis/4dr Sdn 4.6L V8 I have leased since 07/09 from Sheehy Nissan Hyundai is a true lemon! Even after submitting a lemon law complaint to to dealership and Hyundai Motor America for numerous electrical issues, replacement of the transmission, catalytic converter burn out, interior frnt. windshield condensation build up during the cold months, gear shift sticking on more one occasion, starter switch being replaced, steering column control switch failure, the rubber seal in the sun roof coming out, brake light failure, they still refuse to take this piece of junk back! I believe it's a faulty parts problem as some of their car have had the same issues. Hyundai Assurance (Not)!!!

Favorite Features

The hands free features are good, as I feel they should be available in all vehicles now days for safety reasons. Used to be able to hit 120 with out a problem prior to the vehicle having so many electrical problems. Once they started the vehicle was being serviced every three months after the first year. I say Hyundai owners/leases taking a stand and do a class action law suit for faulty parts instead of a car problem. Electrical and transmission issues are major in this Genesis SDN 4.6L V8. Searched for Sheehy Nissan Hyundai of Waldorf MD to write a review and can't seem to locate a web site for them, so this helps me express my frustration in having 7 invoices for major repairs.

Suggested Improvements

Stop using faulty parts in your vehicles. After several major issues not even two years of leasing is pretty overwhelming for any one to contend with! Genesis or not the one I am driving with a lot of hesitation shouldn't even be on the road. Who knows what will shut down on me next. It's pretty bad when the service manager tell you he's replaced a lot of techs. because they were failing to make repairs when in fact they were not! My first complaint was after my 15,000 service check. No problems going in but after I left everything started falling apart and hasn't stopped yet. Shame the consumer has to deal with such poor service from a dealership and Hyundai Motor America. Emotional!

Bad Tires O Genesis
By jspong002

2009 Hyundai Genesis Sedan 3.8 4dr Sedan (3.8L 6cyl 6A)

After only 7500 miles my two rear tires were completely bald. The dealer replaced them commenting they had never seen anything like that before. After the next 8000 miles the remaing two tires were also bald, but the dealer and Hyundai refused to replace. Do not buy a Hyundai with Dunlop Sp Sport 5000 m tires. Insist the dealer change them or don't buy the car. These are junk tires and should never be put on a car, as they are unsafe.

Favorite Features

The Genesis is a great car, but they have cheapened it with the Dunlop SP Sport 5000M tires.

Suggested Improvements

Get rid of the Dunlop SP Sport 5000M tires.

Honestly.. Very Disappointed!!
By tigerbill61

2009 Hyundai Genesis Sedan 4.6 4dr Sedan (4.6L 8cyl 6A)

Sadly bought my 4.6 LOADED brand new after reading about All the Great reviews. Its now been 2 years since my regretable purchase. Please let me reassure you I am a REAL Person and not a rep from some other ripoff car company like BMW! Tires very cheap replaced at 12,000 miles! Key needs to be within 1 foot or placed in slot to operate the pushbutton start!. Terrible in the snow and wet roads with the rear drive! Backup camera works 50% of time! You need a Hyundai brand I-Pod cable to work you I-Pod connection (Extra 75.00) Hmm never mentioned! The Transmnission shifting is a Nightmare and very embarrasing! Frequent updates for stereo _ etc. Im outta words with alottt more to say!

Favorite Features

I have more to add from above. There really is no favorite feature to this car. Only that you dont see alot of them around.. Gee, now I know why! You have to have a college degree to operate the GPS system which is 20 some pages to read and does not make sense.. I went on you tube and watched the operating techniques. Again what a major ripoff with the cheapppp tires they slap on the car.. many cut corners. They promised me a Genesis if and when my car went down for service.. Wow how nice..but another lie.. they tried to push a cheap Sonota on me which I had to deny and battle for the Genesis.. again, which They promised!

Suggested Improvements

Fix ALL the Many problems.. Its just not me, I've read the other reviews and the people who have not complained yet.. well, just wait and give them ample time! THere is truly a reason you do NOT see these cars on the road! I hope my review wasn't too much of a tyrade.. But I truly am speaking the truth and trading this thing in on a 2011 Kia Optima.

Wouldn't Buy Another One
By Anonymous

2009 Hyundai Genesis Sedan 3.8 4dr Sedan (3.8L 6cyl 6A)

This car is not an entrance to the luxury class by a long shot. The transmission in my car is an abomination to the name of luxury car. It shifts with jerky motions, can't find the gear it needs to run in and has to catch up to the engine after braking. Two trips to the dealership and I have been assured that this transmission is within Hyundai specs. The cruise control loses 3MPH up any grade hill and gains up to 3MPH down the hill. I have a 2002 I-35 that keeps set speed dead-on. I think Hyundai needs to reverse engineer an Infinity transmission and cruise control. The ride is rough and the engine is noisy. Other than that the car is OK.

Favorite Features

Outside and inside styling, among the best on the road

Suggested Improvements

None because I won't be concerned with the next one.

Terrible Car / Forgettable experience
By Sandy

2009 Hyundai Genesis Sedan 3.8 4dr Sedan (3.8L 6cyl 6A)

After almost decades of owning premium / luxury cars, I made the regrettable decision to buy a Hyundai. All my friends and family were skeptical. I have spent the past several months working with dealers and HMA Consumer Affairs to address the problems. Every time they tell me they DO NOT see the problems. Is anyone else having these problems? The whole experience has been extremely disappointing. 1. Rattling / grinding sound when driving at lower gears 2. Jerky transmission shifts 3. Squeaking / cranking sound from the rear seat when driving 4. Loud rumbling noise when starting the car 5. Vibrations while driving 6. Tires worn out at 25k miles 7. Cruise control does not work

Favorite Features

Interior space

Suggested Improvements

Hyundai should properly test their car before putting it on the market. Hyundai consumer affairs and dealer service departments need to be better trained and show empathy to customers and stop making excuses!

Great car even with problems
By Genesis

2009 Hyundai Genesis Sedan 4.6 4dr Sedan (4.6L 8cyl 6A)

I bought mine used w/ 18,000 miles on it. It's the 3.8 w/ all options and now has 25,000 miles on it. It has been flawless with one exception - an electrical problem that effected the stereo. After replacing all components (some twice), Hyundai had over $18,000 in parts at retail price back into it. I was also without it for at least a month. Also, I hadn't had the car for a week when the a stone hit the condenser and I was hit with a $530 bill to fix it. Overall, I haven't been pleased with they responses from Hyundai, but the dealership tried hard to make my happy. All of that aside, I still love the car.

Favorite Features

I love the way the car looks (both inside and out), drives, comfort of seats and the quality of materials used. I get lots of looks with people trying to figure out what it is. I was looking at the E Class, but am glad I made the decision I to try the Genesis. W/ everything now working, I love it

Suggested Improvements

While I enjoy the stereo, it's not nearly as good as others I've owned. The price to fix items is absurd and the inability to get parts is crazy - sometimes up to a month for a part. They need to be more honest w/ the warranty. It's only 3 years 36k on electronics.

E Class MB has nothing on this car!
By lag

2009 Hyundai Genesis Sedan 3.8 4dr Sedan (3.8L 6cyl 6A)

The factory Dunlop Sport 5000 tires were a disaster--noisy, rough riding. They might be fine if your planning on doing some late night "drifting"in your local Walmart parking lot! I doubt that most purchased this car with that in mind! Most of my driving is long distance touring and those tires were not compatible with that driving style--replaced with Kumho Ecsta LX Platinum "sneaks"--what a difference--very quiet--very smooth--great wet road traction and all but eliminated that choppy ride except on real bumpy back roads. Not quite the ride of the E Class MB (realistically the benchmark of "smooth") I dumped but real close on the open road--definitely not worth the price difference!

Favorite Features

Fit, finish, interior and exterior design, comfort, ride(after ditching those Dunlops), performance, mpg(consistently over 30 mph on highway trips on regular fuel). Only one problem in 30,000 miles--throttle position sensor replaced.

Suggested Improvements

Suspension "tweak" to eliminate the chop on rough road surfaces and a better pairing with tires would make this car exceptional rather than Excellent! This might be the best car I have ever owned!!

Pros and cons
By npg

2009 Hyundai Genesis Sedan 3.8 4dr Sedan (3.8L 6cyl 6A)

Unless you own a tire shop, don't buy. Although maintained properly, the rear (drive) tires were junk in 15,000 miles! Don't buy the optional GPS/Camera System---Pitiful! Rides like a tank!

Favorite Features

Draws many compliments. Roomy trunk, many luxury features for much less money. Great bumper to bumper warranty.

Suggested Improvements

Replace GPS/Backup screen or don't offer! Soften ride ! Improve tire life