2012 Hyundai Genesis Coupe Consumer Review: Everything I Thought It Would

2012 Hyundai Genesis Coupe - Consumer Review

3.8 Track Coupe (3.8L V6 6-speed Automatic)

Everything I Thought It Would Be, But...
By southerngent63 on

2012 Hyundai Genesis Coupe 3.8 Track 2dr Coupe (3.8L 6cyl 6A)

Let me begin by saying that this is one of my favorite cars. I've owned 14 over 30+ years so I have a good personal database. It is lightning fast, especially in "manual mode". There's the slightest lag at launch in full automatic but if you're racing you're going to be using the paddle shifters anyway. (I don't race, but I do love one particular freeway on ramp.) It might not be a work of art, per se, but the design lets you know up front that this is a fun car. The interior is about as comfortable as you might imagine a sport-tuned suspension would allow, which is to say not overly. Everything is well laid-out, easy to use and unobtrusive. Overall, I love it. But keep reading...

1. Acceleration - this car will move. 2. Braking - awesome brakes. I haven't laid hard on the brakes so I can't say how they perform when stressed but in day-to-day driving they're excellent. 3. I like the interior layout. If you're into bells and whistles this one has most, if not all, of them. But it's not so in-your-face as to be distracting. 4. The information center is well laid-out with buttons that make sense.

1. After only 1,200 miles of basic suburban driving there are already rattles in the cabin. While it is a sport-tuned suspension, which means it is a fairly harsh ride over anything but the smoothest of pavement, still, too many rattles in too short a time on the road. 2. The gear shift knob seems cheap and in a $30K+ car this is unacceptable. 3. While I'm sure the engineering in the engine compartment is top-notch, having had a Corvette I know that it is possible to produce lots of HP *and* deliver decent MPG. Thus far, I am averaging just over 22MPG in all driving. Not awful, but could be better.