Used 2012 Hyundai Genesis Coupe Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2012 Hyundai Genesis Coupe

View reviews for a specific Genesis Coupe model:

My First GenCoupe
By briten88

2012 Hyundai Genesis Coupe 2.0T 2dr Coupe (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 5A)

I've had 5 Mustangs in the past and was ready for a change. Got a 2012 GenCoupe as a model end leftover with an auto. I was very unhappy with the trans., it really needed an extra gear so the fuel economy was horrible, I get better both highway and city with my vette. Interior had a lot of rattles that the dealer couldn't fix, after 6 months I traded it for a 2013 Manual which is a MUCH improved car.

Favorite Features

Roomy front seats, good interior and exterior styling.

Suggested Improvements

All the improvement I would have suggested were fixed in the 2013 model.

Good looking and fun, with many build quality issues
By beamers

2012 Hyundai Genesis Coupe 3.8 Grand Touring 2dr Coupe w/Black Leather (3.8L 6cyl 6A)

I own a v6 GT (25k miles), and opted to go that route after driving the incredibly rigid track edition. The GT suspension is still quite stiff, but bearable. I like driving the car, it's fast, responsive, and sounds good. It's also quite a good looking car, but interior build quality has left a bad taste. I've had issues with my sun roof already, my drivers seat track had to be replaced, steering wheel leather peeled off, and the electronic brake switch has died 3 times ( which kills the push button start ) the dashboard has quite a few rattles, and the rear speaker rattles quite alot. After all that i'm still left with interior issues I've had to fix on my own.

Favorite Features

v6 power, stereo, seating, looks.

Suggested Improvements

Interior build issues are my major concern, along with material quality. the car needed more long term testing before it was released, all of the issues I've run into would have been spotted easily after more extensive testing. Build new brake switches. I've had mine die 3 times already, and the dealership says they're the most common problem in the hyundai cars that use them.

Best Car I have ever owned!!!!!!!!!!
By cbarron721

2012 Hyundai Genesis Coupe 2.0T R-Spec 2dr Coupe (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 6M)

The car is blast to drive and is the first vehicle to ever replace the thrill of the ninja ZX6R. The turbo feels smooth and kicks in hard. The only two areas where I would say need to be improved (they seem to be on the 2013) is the quality of the interior and the performance. I gave both of those a 4 because the interior is nice but does leave something to be desired and the performance is great but they really should have used a larger intercooler and could have tuned it better. I have owned this car since new in February 2012, I bought the 2012 because the 2013 front end just does not do it for me, and the 2012 is more mod friendly. I have already switched to a single exhaust and SRI

Favorite Features

The exterior is beautiful and the lines flow so much better then the 2013. I really like the bluetooth in the stereo and the seats are very comfortable.

Suggested Improvements

The interior knobs and switches could definitely use some substance. Yes the interior is nice for Hyundai but they really could have done it up much better. I also think they should have included a boost gauge and oil pressure gauge.

Everything I Thought It Would Be, But...
By southerngent63

2012 Hyundai Genesis Coupe 3.8 Track 2dr Coupe (3.8L 6cyl 6A)

Let me begin by saying that this is one of my favorite cars. I've owned 14 over 30+ years so I have a good personal database. It is lightning fast, especially in "manual mode". There's the slightest lag at launch in full automatic but if you're racing you're going to be using the paddle shifters anyway. (I don't race, but I do love one particular freeway on ramp.) It might not be a work of art, per se, but the design lets you know up front that this is a fun car. The interior is about as comfortable as you might imagine a sport-tuned suspension would allow, which is to say not overly. Everything is well laid-out, easy to use and unobtrusive. Overall, I love it. But keep reading...

Favorite Features

1. Acceleration - this car will move. 2. Braking - awesome brakes. I haven't laid hard on the brakes so I can't say how they perform when stressed but in day-to-day driving they're excellent. 3. I like the interior layout. If you're into bells and whistles this one has most, if not all, of them. But it's not so in-your-face as to be distracting. 4. The information center is well laid-out with buttons that make sense.

Suggested Improvements

1. After only 1,200 miles of basic suburban driving there are already rattles in the cabin. While it is a sport-tuned suspension, which means it is a fairly harsh ride over anything but the smoothest of pavement, still, too many rattles in too short a time on the road. 2. The gear shift knob seems cheap and in a $30K+ car this is unacceptable. 3. While I'm sure the engineering in the engine compartment is top-notch, having had a Corvette I know that it is possible to produce lots of HP *and* deliver decent MPG. Thus far, I am averaging just over 22MPG in all driving. Not awful, but could be better.

Disappointing
By attaymik37

2012 Hyundai Genesis Coupe 2.0T 2dr Coupe (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 5A)

I bought a 2.0T Coupe in October, drove it for over a month and traded it in (I leased) for a Veloster, which suits me better. I thought I was ready for a sports car but the ride, comfort and fuel economy were not at all what I expected. I purchased in Red and it was a beautiful car but not for me. The ride was harsh, there was an annoying buzz on the passenger side, the seats were not comfortable, it aggravated my carpal tunnel and I had to wear my wrist brace just to drive without pain. I also own a Volkswagen CC and the steering, handling and cornering are heads above the Coupe. I wanted to like it but back it went. A disappointment for me.

Favorite Features

Beautiful car, beautiful lines, and fast for a 2.0T. I could rumble with the big boys.

Suggested Improvements

Better ride quality, better fuel economy. I filled up the tank on Tuesday and it was at half a tank by Thursday and I'm not a lead foot (having a red car is a deterrent to speeding). I had the base model so maybe upgrading to a premium, touring or R-Spec may have yielded a different outcome but I was not impressed.