Used 2010 Hyundai Genesis Coupe Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2010 Hyundai Genesis Coupe - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Genesis Coupe model:

"I didn't know Hyundai built sports cars!"
By Devon White

2010 Hyundai Genesis Coupe 3.8 Track 2dr Coupe w/Navigation (3.8L 6cyl 6A)

"Man what kind of car is that??", ask the car wash attendant. "Oh it's just a Hyundai Genesis..." I say as I start to feel all giddy on the inside for someone talking to me while wearing socks and sandals. "I didn't know Hyundai built sports cars! That is much nicer than my new V6 Camaro.." the man says with slight disappointment in his voice. The Hyundai Genesis Coupe is an understated performance sports car. Why do I say understated? With the open market of the FRS/BRZ twins, Ford Focus ST, Nissan 370z and Honda Civic Si, it is very easy to forget that Hyundai offers a competitive RWD, 300hp sports car for a cheaper price. After spending a week of searching, I was able to find a Genesis Coupe for $4,000 cheaper than a FRS and $6,000 cheaper than a Focus ST (Take a guess on the price gap between the Hyundai and the 370....Yikes!). After owning the car through both Winter and Summer I can say that this car makes a decent daily driver. I went for the top of the line "Track" package which includes 19' Wheels, a stiffer suspension, big Brembo brakes, and low profile tires which, in the winter, makes for a questionable journey. Though the weather was not in the Genesis Coupe's favor, it handle the snow and ice better than most cars on the road. Traction Control is a feature that will automatically prevent you from getting in-over your head, and the climate control system will keep you warm while the temperatures fall bellow zero degrees. During the summer months the car can come into its own. If you have never taken this car out on a back-road, it is highly recommended that you scare your local Hyundai Salesman. The stiff suspension allows you to feel the cars sports car spirit as you abuse it through sharp hairpin turns, the car does not buckle at the effort, it laughs and yells "More!". Though I have found this to be an excellent car, it is not perfect. The stiff suspension will really begin to make you feel your age, even if you're 2 years old. Long road trips can be rather tiresome and make you question why you didn't walk to your Aunt's house in Idaho. The interior is a nice place to be, but is filled with cheap feeling materials and more plastic then a aging supermodel. Though it has 300HP, I feel that the car under utilizes that power in the high gears and makes use of it in the lower gears. What was a major surprise was how roomy the car is (in the front seats), as a 6 foot 2 individual, I have plenty of space to bob my head to my fast and furious soundtrack. My dad (who let's say is a lot more "healthy" than I) felt that the race like seats was firm and quite comfortable to sit in. MPG has been much better than I could ever imagine, when driving home from an overnight party I had the A.C. on with the windows down (who needs logic?), I managed to get 31.3 MPG without even trying. Remember this is a 300HP, "Track Edition". Overall this is a great car for the price. This Hyundai looks greats, sounds great, and next to an RX8 or a Civic, it's fast. If you're like me and you want good performance out of the box you'll opt for the 3.8 motor because it is strong and capable of performance without being dangerous to a young driver. Tuners will go for the 2.0 turbo model as their is plenty of aftermarket support for the 2.0 to make it as fast, then faster than a 3.8. At the end of the day the suspension is very stiff but if you're looking at this as an option, you probably already have a yearning for back pain.

My Butt Hurts
By bgenesis

2010 Hyundai Genesis Coupe 2.0T 2dr Coupe (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 5A)

Comfort is lacking. This is my only main complaint. I had to keep changing my butt cheeks after 4hrs. Horrible side support are like rocks.Gas mileage is next. The best I could do was 28 full highway. When a V6 Accord or Camry can provide better performance in a straight line and achieve above 32 mpgs.....hmmmm. Not a very efficient motor from the Mitsu Evo group. Should have bought a v6 accord coupe. Thought it was quick until a Mini Cooper S was coming up on me at full throttle. Now it is just a daily commuting vehicle.

handling, interrior, build quality

mpgs in the 30's, Seats really stink for comfort.

Good car
By wthornton

2010 Hyundai Genesis Coupe 2.0T Premium 2dr Coupe (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 5A)

Better than the Tiburon only problems pin holes in tran cooler other wise no problems ,fun to drive plan on keeping it. Grew up driving mopar muscle , then supras and now this.

handling and performance , surprising for a 4 cylinder

Move Transmission cooler to less vulnerable location in front and left of radiator is to easily damaged by small gravel on the roads

genesis 2.0 had for two years
By cindyropp

2010 Hyundai Genesis Coupe 2.0T Premium 2dr Coupe (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 6M)

I bought this car new 2010. I love it, it gets lots of lookes, excellent handling, excellent braking, fun to drive....only minimal repairs. good sound system. Tranmission (manual) no the greatest, seatbelt position is horrible for short people. Back seat folds down but you only get about 20-24 inches of go through space because of design. Gas mileage disappointment for 2.0 4 cyl...21 in city, 24 highway

handling and breaking, sound system, looks!

Seat belt positioning....something to hook it to seat so it moves with the seat and not stays 6 inches back on door frame! better shifting from first to second. Make bigger opening for use when opening trunk and folding down back seat. dont plan on havin ganyone over 5'6" in your back seat. better gas mileage

BEST CAR EVER!!!
By buffus1

2010 Hyundai Genesis Coupe 3.8 Track 2dr Coupe (3.8L 6cyl 6A)

I am a self-admitted car snob and if you had told me 5 years ago that I would buy a Hyundai, I would have laughed at you. I am also notorious for getting bored with my cars at about the 18 month mark. I have had my Genesis for 2 1/2 years and love it as much (quite possibly, even more!) as the day I bought it! It is amazingly nimble for a car it's size! It handles about like my 350-Z did stock and the back end isn't twitchy like the American muscle cars tend to be. It's definitely quick and it's very comfortable. Best of all, it has been extremely reliable! Only con is that people stop me everywhere I go to look at it and ask me all about it and there are always noseprints on the windows!

Heated leather seats. The fact that I can plug a tiny flash drive into my center console and have all my music at hand without carrying around a huge folder of CDs or an iPOD. Hands-free Bluetooth.

Memory seats. Dual cabin temperature control. Telescoping steering wheel.