Used 2014 Hyundai Equus Sedan Consumer Reviews - 5 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2014 Hyundai Equus Sedan - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Equus model:

Equus Ultimate ? NOT
By Dan Long

2014 Hyundai Equus Sedan Ultimate 4dr Sedan (5.0L 8cyl 8A)

SO If this car worked properly it would be an awesome car however it doesn't, I have spent quite a few hours days weeks in the shop only to hear excuses and bull on why my car doesn't work properly all the time. Do you want to hear from a Hyundai mechanic there's nothing we can do because the computer platform is an old outdated system windows 98 that's what I was told.
SO air conditioner in auto position wont blow cold air unless you turn it to max cold first then go to desired setting so I was forced to use the ac button, seat memory wouldn't remember the settings it took many visits to the dealer to convince them something was wrong oh yes their initial response to EVERYTHING is could not duplicate issue well they replaced the driver mirror that didn't fix it then the door mechanism that seems to have done the trick. The front end is continually going out of alignment they blame me saying I'm driving the car rough??? What ? I've owned many many cars and NEVER had issues with alignment like this car. Now for the issue with windows 98 the computer systems don't work the same all the time for instance the sensors that detect cars to the left and right sometimes the detect and sometimes not . the rear camera will occasionally blank out where you see nothing for a few seconds while backing up enough time for something to enter the area behind you and for you to potentially to hit it. I was told well that's not an issue its inherent in the vehicle well it doesn't do it all the time so its not inherent it's just messed up. The head rest on passenger side front seat is now rattling due to car shaking all the time. The analog clock is running fast when you pull up the digital clock the time is correct but you can't see that clock unless you go into the menu the clock you see is not in sync to the internal digital clock?? how is that even possible. I was told that the car doesn't have a function that unless your seat belt is on you can't move the car well my car has had an issue where when I got into the car started it tried to move the brakes were applied not by me by the car and I get a message stating that a door is open or trunk is open and seat belt not fastened Well doors were closed trunk was closed and when I put the seat belt on the brakes released But my car doesn't do that I was told !!! I have video and pictures now that it does in fact do that. Also when you come to a stop and car is not in park and you open a door the doors wont unlock so I put car in park and back to drive back and forth no unlock I hit the unlock button no unlock I was told this was a safety feature BUT at the dealer we tried uit and shift lever wouldn't unlock the doors but the door lock button did they don't want t o hear that it didn't work.
I have never had a car company so indifferent to my concerns from my first cars back in the late 60's to now not willing to help telling me that they can not duplicate the problem and trying to shift the blame to anything but the car having problems. ALL my cars in the past either worked or didn't work not a sometimes work. in order to keep from getting reports so you can get help from a lawyer they have that down too either not able to duplicate or they will hold a ticket open so it appears you only have taken the car in 1 time for an issue when actually its been 4 or 5 times . so today I will be taking my car back to the dealer to get the clock fixed the front end fixed I hope or what ever is causing the shaking BTW I got new tires and had the dealer balance them AGAIN at my cost to make sure they weren't going to say its your tires!!! and get the rattling headrest fixed. My advice don't buy a Hyundai they might look nice and appear they have all the great things Mercedes has or Lexus they don't!! They don't treat you right they don't service you right they don't help when you have a problem. they say don't make any money to diagnose problems why would you even say that ? I don't care if you go bankrupt diagnosing my car fix it or take your lemon back !!!

it's just a car
By marc49

2014 Hyundai Equus Sedan Ultimate 4dr Sedan (5.0L 8cyl 8A)

After looking and wondering why any one would spend 80,000 to 120,000 on a German or Japanese
luxury car I have come to the conclusion the world is full of idiots. My 2014 equus is so close in all categories that the thought of spending big bucks on the German or Japanese luxury cars makes me laugh. They are all just cars and nothing more . I drove them all then looked at the window sticker and just laughed. The only one that made sense was the equus.

heads up display, saftey features and price

to minor to mention.

I have been SCAMMED by Germans !!!
By htcrack

2014 Hyundai Equus Sedan Ultimate 4dr Sedan (5.0L 8cyl 8A)

After owning 14 Equus about 10month, I feel like I havebeen scammed by Germans more than 15years.

Microwave, cooler, toilet.

Some poor engineering ,quality issues, terrible buying experience
By carbuyer1929

2014 Hyundai Equus Sedan Signature 4dr Sedan (5.0L 8cyl 8A)

If you have owned a Lexus, I don't think you'll be satisfied with the Equus.
I am at 4 months of ownership, 2800 miles, and there are quite a few paint chips on the rocker panels due to stepping in and out of the car.
It's obviously not just me, because they are on both sides.
Lexus has a metal plate where Equus has a piece of painted plastic. That's an engineering flaw in my book.
I'm being told this isn't warrantable because it was caused by the user.
I also have a small tear on the leather on the drivers's side door. i don't have the space to discuss the buying "experience" but it's not one I will repeat...with bait and switch by 1 dealer and addition of BS charges by another.

The car drives just fine, but it's a little early to say if it will hold up like the 12 year old and 6 year old Lexus' I have-- that never has a rocker panel chip or torn leather , because Lexus used higher quality materials.

The entire buying "experience" is horrible. If you negotiate a price on the phone, arrive to pick up your car, and are "bait-and-switched' to a demonstrator, well that's not something that happens at luxury dealerships. I called around, negotiated a different deal, and when the paperwork arrived, another $1300 in charges had been added for "etching" so "the LA Sheriff's department can locate your car" if stolen. I finally got the price I negotiated, but I should have recognized that Hyundai has a very long way to go if they want to sell a luxury car. I won't repeat the mistake I made buying the car and my time is valuable.

Best Bang for your buck
By klassickruiser

2014 Hyundai Equus Sedan Signature 4dr Sedan (5.0L 8cyl 8A)

I bought the 2014 Equus Signature, black with tan interior, just a great car. I shopped the Mercedes S550, BMW 750 and the Lexus 460 before making my decision on this purchase. Realistically there is no comparison, this car rocks the competition. The interior of the Equus is awesome, the seats are exceptionally comfortable, the controls are nicely positioned and the stereo is tremendous. The interior amenities are as they should be in a car of this class. The fit and finish is comparable to the cars costing $40K more. The performance is similar to both the S550 and the BMW 750 in acceleration, the ride is more closely related to the S550. I would highly recommend to anyone looking for a car

The Lexicon stereo is amazing, the seats are extremely comfortable. The acceleration is great for car of this size.

The analog clock is great looking, but I would have included a digital as well. The gas mileage could be improved, I have 900 miles on the car and averaging 20.5 mpg combined.