Used 2011 Hyundai Equus Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2011 Hyundai Equus - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Equus model:

Outstanding car and value
By scuff

2011 Hyundai Equus Ultimate 4dr Sedan (4.6L 8cyl 6A)

I found, to my surprise, that I really like the forward looking camera. The ride and comfort are very good. Quiet and lots of conveniences. Could do without the ashtrays and would like a bit more storage in front. Auto closing trunk is great. I drove LS 460s for 20 years but could not turn down the fabulous value of the Equus. I'm not sorry I switched. I didn't feel I needed the 5 liter engine or 8 speed thansmission. I don't. I wouldn't hesitate to recommend this car to anyone. It is a great machine and the service at the dealer has been very good so far.

Great looking car. Front camera is handy. Automatically closing trunk is convenient. Automatic brake when stopped is a plus. At one time this was called a "hill holder" and works great in San Francisco. The analog clock makes getting a quick time check easy and safe. Controls are convenient and quite intuitive. I bought a demo/dealer car with about 3,600 miles on it. There were a couple of small chips in the rocker panel paint. It's Saturday and I just called to make the appointment to fix that. The dealer is picking up the car and leaving me a loaner on Monday morning. I like that feature.

I'd like to see the Signature with the automatic trunk closer and the front facing camera because it would be nice to be able to have room for five passengers instead of the four in the Ultimate and I like those two features. I don't have a chauffeur so don't need the reclining seat or refrigerator. I know the Japanese and Korean Bosses like to be driven but I doubt if any are used that way in the USA. More front seat storage would be nice. More color choices are needed though I'm happy with the Pearl White and Cashmere interior.

2011 Ultimate review - Great Job Hyundai!
By jfortino

2011 Hyundai Equus Ultimate 4dr Sedan (4.6L 8cyl 6A)

I have owned 2 Lexus, 2 Acura, Lincoln Navigator and am turning in my Jaguar XF Premium Lease. I have test drove many cars looking for a premium luxury sedan. I took a chance on the Equus after researching for over 2 months and a number of test drives. After taking delivery and putting on 1000 miles - I am stunned at the quality of the vehicle. I was very unsure of my decision to move on a Hyundai, but relied on many of the reviews here and other places. The fit and finish is superb, and contrary to most professional reviews, the exterior of the vehicle is very sharp - I have already had a number of people asking me about the vehicle at a gas station and restaurant! Great job Hyundai!

The vehicle has an unbelievable ride, great acceleration, handles nicely (I am not looking to drive 140 on the autobahn), the interior is extremely quiet, and the electronics are very easy to set up as I paired my phone in 2 minutes, my iphone is easy to use to play music and the nav is easy to use as well. This is the most comfortable vehicle I have owned - the seat for the driver has excellent controls to set up for a perfect fit. I love the size of the vehicle, with a very roomy interior. The Lexicon Stereo sounds great as well! Also appreciate using regular unleaded gas. The car gets a lot of stares from people while driving and I appreciate not seeing Equus being driven everywhere.

Hyundai dealership trying to sell a high end luxury product. Need to learn how to treat the Equus buyer like Lexus, Acura, or Jaguar owners. When delivered, I had to send the car back be cleaned - it was dusty and not fully detailed. I love the car but they have to up the game considerably to compete with the other luxury brands. NEVER would this happen with Lexus. I think the car needs better cup holders, blind spot warning systems, I am a little concerned about the quality of the leather seats (based on other reviews - we will soon find out). Not a big deal, but the ipad was not with the car for delivery, it will be sent at a later time - we call this "bush league"

A lot of car for the money
By gwpetersburg

2011 Hyundai Equus Signature 4dr Sedan (4.6L 8cyl 6A)

We were looking for a little higher level of luxury and comfort than our 2006 Infiniti M35. We weren't personally drawn to Mercedes, BMW, Audi, or Jaguar. As Infiniti and Lexus owners we test-drove the M37, the LS460. But after driving the Equus, it was our favorite.

1. The incredibly quiet ride. This is number one for us. A quiet car is far less fatiguing. As others have said, it is almost like being in a bank vault. It also makes for easier conversation and appreciation of the awesome audio 2. The very comfortable ride, particularly for long trips. The ride is more cushy and less sporty than our M35 - which is what we were looking for 3. Excellent fit and finish inside and out. 4. Valet service - so far, it has been wonderful 5. Full coverage for 5 years 6. No option packages to figure out and select from; the vehicles come fully loaded in two trim levels

1. Update the Driver Information System features 2. Allow the driver to make a default on or off setting for the Lane Departure System when the vehicle is started. It has to be manually turned on every time you start the car. 3. Provide the front passenger seat with all the same features found on the driver seat, particulary seat extension, adjustable lumbar support and the massage feature 4. Include a power trunk lid on the Signature model 5. Increase the size of the cup holders 6. While the car has a low tire pressure warning indicator, it does not allow you to check the current pressure in each tire, like our old Infiniti did

An outstanding car at an ordinary price
By fastmarty

2011 Hyundai Equus Signature 4dr Sedan (4.6L 8cyl 6A)

We have had our Hyundai Equus Signature Sedan now for several weeks. It is an outstanding large luxury car at the price of an intermediate size premium car. The car is silky smooth and quiet in all driving modes and is a joy to drive. The interior is exceedingly comfortable, and the fit and finish is superb. Our only complaint is the rather pedestrian looking exterior styling.

The car could use self closing doors and trunk lid. Otherwise fully equipped.

Great value, but you get what you pay for...
By kpsocal

2011 Hyundai Equus Ultimate 4dr Sedan (4.6L 8cyl 6A)

I have been driving my Ultimate Edition for 6 months now. It drives very nice, has lots of power and is very smooth. This car is an excellent value for the money. However, let's not get carried away. There is a clear difference between the quality of this vehicle and the German luxury sedans. I am starting to experience some shakes and rattles after only 6 months. Also, the iPod interface and Navigation system have some issues. Also, don't expect a world class service experience at the dealership. When I complained about my problems, they returned the car without saying anything and writing on the service ticket "functioning as intended". I wish I had more room to tell you the whole story.

Air suspension and sport mode.

Dealership needs to provide luxury service, I know they are used to the economy car customers, but they need to step it up if they want to be in the luxury car business.