Used 2011 Hyundai Equus Signature Sedan Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2011 Hyundai Equus Sedan - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Equus model:

2011 Equus - sudden acceleration
By equus2011

2011 Hyundai Equus Sedan Signature 4dr Sedan (4.6L 8cyl 6A)

I bought my Equus in May 2011 as brand new car in Toronto, Canada. I had been very happy with it until its sudden acceleration happened in August 2014. I took it back to the dealership to check for the problem but they couldn't find anything. It happened again twice in the evening of April 2, 2015 but the engineer and technician from Hyundai Canada couldn't find anything wrong again. I don't feel safe to drive it so I traded it for a Genesis Ultimate. I only put in about 52,000KM to the Equus but the trade in value is not good at all. I have no choice as the trade in amount would be even lower if I traded it at the dealership of another brand.

All the incidents happened in the parking lot after backing out from the parking space as soon as I shifted the gear from R to D. It accelerated by itself without pressing hard on the gas pedal. I braked to stop the car and shifted the gear to P. Once in P, the engine revved over 7000RPM with very loud engine noise. I turned off the car and pumped the gas pedal a few times to make sure it was not stuck. The engine revved over 7000RPM again as soon as I restarted the car. It became normal once it was restarted after waiting a couple minutes. It seems something in the car was reset after a couple minutes.

Just want to give a warning to anyone in the market to look for a used Equus in black color in Toronto. I don't feel safe driving it. It would be very dangerous if it happens while driving on highway.

I traded a BMW 745i for the 2011 Equus
By peteranger

2011 Hyundai Equus Sedan Signature 4dr Sedan (4.6L 8cyl 6A)

After looking at luxury sedans for about a year, I traded my Bimmer for the Equus without a second thought. The Equus was the first car I got into for a test ride that I felt was more comfortable than the 745. It uses regular gas, gets comparable mileage, is as quiet, comfortable and well equipped as the 745i - for 10s of thousands less. Add the superior warranty and valet service (I haven't been to the dealer for service in nearly 4 years!) Only two demerits: less than stellar iPod implementation (on an otherwise outstanding audio system) and handling that's more boat like than Bimmerish. I'll keep the 2011 until Hyundai delivers an AWD Equus.

Overall comfort, Sound System, relatively good mileage on the 2011 (I've clocked as much as 30 mpg on some highway stretches, though for mixed driving the average is closer to 20), massaging seats, adaptive cruise control, ample leg room for tall adults front AND rear, good looks (I get many favorable comments from people who ask what it is), enormous trunk.

Look at other maker's (see Infiniti) for iPod implementation. Less stark and sterile reading lights in the interior (aim for warm white), the light tan leather is too light. Bring back saddle for future models. Give us an AWD option! Work on improving mileage on newer models.

A lot of car for the money
By gwpetersburg

2011 Hyundai Equus Sedan Signature 4dr Sedan (4.6L 8cyl 6A)

We were looking for a little higher level of luxury and comfort than our 2006 Infiniti M35. We weren't personally drawn to Mercedes, BMW, Audi, or Jaguar. As Infiniti and Lexus owners we test-drove the M37, the LS460. But after driving the Equus, it was our favorite.

1. The incredibly quiet ride. This is number one for us. A quiet car is far less fatiguing. As others have said, it is almost like being in a bank vault. It also makes for easier conversation and appreciation of the awesome audio 2. The very comfortable ride, particularly for long trips. The ride is more cushy and less sporty than our M35 - which is what we were looking for 3. Excellent fit and finish inside and out. 4. Valet service - so far, it has been wonderful 5. Full coverage for 5 years 6. No option packages to figure out and select from; the vehicles come fully loaded in two trim levels

1. Update the Driver Information System features 2. Allow the driver to make a default on or off setting for the Lane Departure System when the vehicle is started. It has to be manually turned on every time you start the car. 3. Provide the front passenger seat with all the same features found on the driver seat, particulary seat extension, adjustable lumbar support and the massage feature 4. Include a power trunk lid on the Signature model 5. Increase the size of the cup holders 6. While the car has a low tire pressure warning indicator, it does not allow you to check the current pressure in each tire, like our old Infiniti did

An outstanding car at an ordinary price
By fastmarty

2011 Hyundai Equus Sedan Signature 4dr Sedan (4.6L 8cyl 6A)

We have had our Hyundai Equus Signature Sedan now for several weeks. It is an outstanding large luxury car at the price of an intermediate size premium car. The car is silky smooth and quiet in all driving modes and is a joy to drive. The interior is exceedingly comfortable, and the fit and finish is superb. Our only complaint is the rather pedestrian looking exterior styling.

The car could use self closing doors and trunk lid. Otherwise fully equipped.

Hyundai Equus Signature
By clingenpeel

2011 Hyundai Equus Sedan Signature 4dr Sedan (4.6L 8cyl 6A)

I took delivery of My Signature On Jan 7. It has been a great car to drive. On a trip over the mountains it got 23.3 on regular.b On a trip over flat terrain it go 27,6 mpg. To all the biychers out there, my other car is a Mercedes S Class. The ammenities are the same except the Equus does not have a power trunk lid or automatic door closers. I feel like I just saved $40000

Adaptive cruise control