Used 2011 Hyundai Equus Sedan Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2011 Hyundai Equus - Consumer Reviews

2011 Hyundai Equus Sedan

View reviews for a specific Equus model:

2011 Equus - sudden acceleration
By equus2011

2011 Hyundai Equus Sedan Signature 4dr Sedan (4.6L 8cyl 6A)

I bought my Equus in May 2011 as brand new car in Toronto, Canada. I had been very happy with it until its sudden acceleration happened in August 2014. I took it back to the dealership to check for the problem but they couldn't find anything. It happened again twice in the evening of April 2, 2015 but the engineer and technician from Hyundai Canada couldn't find anything wrong again. I don't feel safe to drive it so I traded it for a Genesis Ultimate. I only put in about 52,000KM to the Equus but the trade in value is not good at all. I have no choice as the trade in amount would be even lower if I traded it at the dealership of another brand.

Favorite Features

All the incidents happened in the parking lot after backing out from the parking space as soon as I shifted the gear from R to D. It accelerated by itself without pressing hard on the gas pedal. I braked to stop the car and shifted the gear to P. Once in P, the engine revved over 7000RPM with very loud engine noise. I turned off the car and pumped the gas pedal a few times to make sure it was not stuck. The engine revved over 7000RPM again as soon as I restarted the car. It became normal once it was restarted after waiting a couple minutes. It seems something in the car was reset after a couple minutes.

Suggested Improvements

Just want to give a warning to anyone in the market to look for a used Equus in black color in Toronto. I don't feel safe driving it. It would be very dangerous if it happens while driving on highway.

I traded a BMW 745i for the 2011 Equus
By peteranger

2011 Hyundai Equus Sedan Signature 4dr Sedan (4.6L 8cyl 6A)

After looking at luxury sedans for about a year, I traded my Bimmer for the Equus without a second thought. The Equus was the first car I got into for a test ride that I felt was more comfortable than the 745. It uses regular gas, gets comparable mileage, is as quiet, comfortable and well equipped as the 745i - for 10s of thousands less. Add the superior warranty and valet service (I haven't been to the dealer for service in nearly 4 years!) Only two demerits: less than stellar iPod implementation (on an otherwise outstanding audio system) and handling that's more boat like than Bimmerish. I'll keep the 2011 until Hyundai delivers an AWD Equus.

Favorite Features

Overall comfort, Sound System, relatively good mileage on the 2011 (I've clocked as much as 30 mpg on some highway stretches, though for mixed driving the average is closer to 20), massaging seats, adaptive cruise control, ample leg room for tall adults front AND rear, good looks (I get many favorable comments from people who ask what it is), enormous trunk.

Suggested Improvements

Look at other maker's (see Infiniti) for iPod implementation. Less stark and sterile reading lights in the interior (aim for warm white), the light tan leather is too light. Bring back saddle for future models. Give us an AWD option! Work on improving mileage on newer models.

Class
By livi

2011 Hyundai Equus Sedan Ultimate 4dr Sedan (4.6L 8cyl 6A)

My Equus Ultimate is one of the nicest cars I've owned. Quiet, handles well and very nice design. Had the S Class Mercedes but stepped out of the box for the Equus. People said "skeptical paying that for a Hyundai" but after riding in it and enjoying the amenities, nothing else said. Case closed. One guy stopped who had a Rolls Royce said he was considering buying an Equus. People often ask what is it (wing emblem on hood) and "heard about it, nice car." I have not been disappointed. It is truly a very nice car and the Equus Connect customer service is top notch, every question answered and any concern taken care of immediately. Love my Equus -- class extraordinaire.

Favorite Features

Ease in handling

2011 Equus Ultimate IS Just That...
By bsdtwd

2011 Hyundai Equus Sedan Ultimate 4dr Sedan (4.6L 8cyl 6A)

Recently a purchased 2011 Equus Ultimate with 40k miles. Pearl White with cashmere leather. Amenities too numerous to list. Super quiet, the design is fantastic and turns heads due to it's rarity on the road. No complaints. Adaptive cruise and lane departure system work flawlessly. The Lexicon Sound is unmatched. Save $20-30,000 by indulging yourself with a fine Equus with an engine that will go forever. No timing belts or broken engine mounts like MB or Audi.

Favorite Features

Keyless Go Adaptive Cruise Refrig and recliner seat in rear. Lane Departure System Alcantara Headliner and leather dash.

Suggested Improvements

Remote Start

Equus Ultimate trumps S600 or 750
By bsdtwd

2011 Hyundai Equus Sedan Ultimate 4dr Sedan (4.6L 8cyl 6A)

Yes it's a Hyundai! The best part is the $20000 or more you get to keep in your pocket when you choose this fine car. Front/ Rear camera's, Adaptive cruise, Alcantara head liner, powered sun shades all around, a refrigerator, recliner and a LCD screen in back. Not to mention a remote for the reclining, vibrating, heated and cooled rear passenger seat. 1000 pounds lighter makes a big difference too. 28 MPG on highway!

Favorite Features

Loaded with everything. I mean everything. Why waste the extra $$. The unique design and lack of Hyundai badging keeps them guessing. Whisper quiet at speed and the adaptive cruise and lane departure warning system makes cruising a breeze and safer.

Suggested Improvements

Not much to suggest. Only thing is massage for front passenger.