2015 Hyundai Elantra Sedan Consumer Reviews - 10 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2015 Hyundai Elantra Sedan - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Elantra model:

Car is great except with minor flaws
By Ed V

2015 Hyundai Elantra Sedan SE 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 6A)

First of all it doesn't come with a spare tire and jack so I have to buy my own spare tire and jack. There are times that the trunk just open by itself, it doesn't open all the time so I don't trust it. I don't put anything valuable in my trunk because of this problem. Maybe it will be better to deactivate the remote trunk opener, it could be the key button or trunk receiver need to be deactivated. Also it doesn't come with a key to open the trunk, it does have a lever by the driver seat that will open the trunk. So two ways to open the trunk is by the lever and by the remote control. Another minor thing is the sunglass compartment wherein it opens by itself. It was a recall and the dealer already had repaired mine but still there are times that when I get in to the car, I found it open. Mileage I think is good, I got 27mpg in the city and went to grand canyon and I got 38mpg. So far these are the only flaws that I had found, I will write some more review if I discover new flaws of the car.

Two big flaws
By Jim

2015 Hyundai Elantra Sedan SE 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 6A)

No spare tire which is as dumb as a turnip. The second is that backup camera display is useless in that the image is almost whited out. both issues suck!

Clutching at fun driving
By Mark Comfort

2015 Hyundai Elantra Sedan Sport 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 6M)

This is my third Elantra in about six years. Started out with the GLS, moved to the Limited, and now currently have the Sport with the 2.0L engine and 6-speed manual tranny. The GLS was good -- good content for the price, reliable, good mileage, etc. I drive a bunch of miles a week, so moved on to the Limited. Many more features, but I didn't like the steering with the OEM low-profile tires. Ran it for a few years, and then got a red Sport manual. This one is my sweet spot. The steering, suspension, etc. is different from that of the GLS and Limited, and is perfect for me. (The ride is not adjustable, btw, as it is on the other models. One size may not fit all, but it is comfortable for me.)

Also regarding the ride: Ride quality is greatly influenced by wheelbase. This is a short wheelbase car, and so will feel the bumps and road chop more than my wife's large Buick. Again, for you SE/Limited owners, play with your suspension choices on the test drive (or better yet, rent an Elantra for a few days, and put it through its paces) -- hopefully you'll find a setting that works. If not, don't buy the car.

Hyundai does play with the content on the different years and models, so study what the sticker says vs. what you really want. I knew, for example, Hyundai only included a can of Fix-a-flat so I negotiated a full-spare kit for my car. Was not able to get the dealer to throw in the automatic rearview mirror, which I do miss a bit.

Maybe because I have the manual tranny and can therefore better control shifting, my mostly-hiway commute yields 37 mpg in winter (denser air) and 39 in the summer. I've hit as high as 42 mpg in the summer, driving at highway speeds. Believe it or not, folks, YOU largely control your mileage, based on your driving habits.

I read one review here where the writer complained about the radio controls while driving. Wow. Priorities, anyone? Yeah, Bach requires a different set of listening parameters than do the Beach Boys, but set the controls and then DRIVE. Yeah, I find myself changing stations, volume, etc. on my daily two-hour commute, but make 99% of those changes with the steering wheel controls.

Rant continued: While I guess the dealer experience is part of the car for some folks, I'm trying to evaluate the CAR here. (For the record, I've purchased all three of my Elantras from the same dealer, and have had most of my service down at the dealer. No major complaints.) For me, this CAR is fun, a good purchase, and what I need to get me to/from the office and run weekend errands. I've had no major mechanical issues with any of the three, and do oil changes/tire rotations at 7500-mile intervals.

Happy motoring!

Stay Away from this hunk of Crap!
By Nik

2015 Hyundai Elantra Sedan SE 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 6A)

Chief complaint: the freaking (and I don't mean freaking) trunk goes thru spells where it just pops up whenever it wants. Seriously, I stood in the parking garage at work for 45 freaking minutes closing my trunk because it pops open every 3 minutes! I took it to the dealership and the guy from the service department told me that he was familiar with the problem because it happened to him when he drove a loaner vehicle, however, the techs weren't going to be able to diagnose and fix it unless they actually saw the trunk popping up with their own eyes! Are you freaking kidding me! Now I'm standing guard at my trunk because it keeps popping open and I live in a freaking apt complex!

Next complaint: the alignment or something is off... You can't hold the damn car straight in one lane. No matter how straight and steady you hold the steering wheel, you still end up swerving and veering into someone else's lane.
Additional complaint: the worst acceleration that I've ever experienced in a vehicle... good luck pulling a heel. Haha! You can mash the gas to the floor and you'll literally be going 10mph, but give it about 2-3 minutes it'll respond to you pushing the accelerator.
Last complaint:
Idk why, but the windows fog up like crazy! Myself and a coworker who has this same car discussed this... you literally need the defroster year-round...the windows just fog up... no talking or singing with the radio --the windows just fog up.

This was a horrible purchase and I'm counting the days until I can trade it in. I purchased this car in March 2015 with 4 miles on it. Today it has 4,500 Miles exactly...and the freaking trunk won't close! Im seriously considering speaking with an attorney re: our local Lemon Law. No way a brand spanking new car should have these issues! Why am I outside, in the dark, closing my trunk every 3 minutes... at this very moment...

Oh, the things they don't tell you!
By John

2015 Hyundai Elantra Sedan SE 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 6M)

I've had this car for about 6 months and it's ok, but there are a few things that will make it the last Hyundai I'll buy. First, the gas mileage. I do a lot of highway driving for work and so far the best I've gotten is 33.2 mpg. I drive around 70 in a 65 (any closer to 65 and I'd get run off the road) and I've found that in order for me to get better gas mileage I have to drive closer to 80. I don't get it. There seem's to be something wrong with the gearing for this to occur, or maybe electronics, but this makes no sense. Secondly, this so called "10 year, 100,000 mile warranty" that Hyundai pushes was attempted to be added by the salesman or sales manager to my contract. I was told it came with the car, but what I wasn't told was it was going to cast me an additional $6K!! This was after they told me the honor Truecar estimates and then tried to add $5K to the price of the car. (They said it had extras not on the estimate until I showed them the VIN number on the estimate was the same as the car on the contract.) After 2+ hours of getting a tad hot under the collar I got the price without the bogus warranty. Then I got home and found out there was no spare. Just a repair kit that you can't use since the majority of tire failures happen on the freeway which pretty much destroys the tire. After finding out the ungodly amount of money Hyundai wanted for what should have been in the car (or at least I should have been told wasn't in the car) I found everything on Ebay for less than half.
As for form fit and function, the car's not bad. It's quiet and comfortable. I have the sport and popular packages so it has the sunroof, fog lights, etc.. Throttle reponse is weak, though, and sometimes the transmission jerks on acceleration as if the car doesn't know what gear it should be in. The suspension is weak. Real weak. The Hancook tire are also garbage. When I encounter a rough patch on a curve I have to be ready because this thing will jump all over the place. Also the "slip angle" of the tires on turns is terrible. There's 2 more things to buy.
The sound system is ok. The volume capability is less than half of what it should be. To have any decent volume just to listen to talk radio it needs to be just short of full blast. And no I don't have any hearing problems. Also the controls are designed to cause accidents. If you want to say lower the bass, park first because you'll be tapping the screen controls that are badly placed and too small for driving just to get to the small, badly placed buttons to make the adjustments. This will be corrected with a small amplified equalizer in the center console compartment-one with knobs so you don't have to take your eyes off the road. Yet something else to pay for that shouldn't be an issue.
Anyway, for me this car is a swing and a miss. With the other quality cars out there that granted cost a bit more, Hyundai comes up lacking. Best warranty in the business? Maybe, but they need to make it clear that it will cost you dearly. Not inform the buyer there's no spare, because I've yet to meet anyone that asks if there is one? Major issue. How many husbands would like to find out while out with the family or from your wife because she's on the freeway with a shredded blow out? Change the station and you want to lower the blasting bass? Don't even think about it if your driving. Hit a bump on the freeway? Hang on brother or you could be modifying the body style real quick. Sorry Hyundai. As long as these types of things exist in your sales staff and vehicles, I'll be driving Honda's. Again.