Was a great car (at first)
By donjo13 on
2013 Hyundai Elantra GLS 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 6A)
I bought this car brand new in Oct 2012. I thought it was striking and loved the colors scheme in and out. I was amazed with fuel economy from the git go. I had a 2011 Mazda 2 which got around 32 mpg and was a much smaller car. It got totalled from a sandwich between a Cavalier and an Explorer on I-95 near Richmond VA. I used the car as a courier which was driven 250 miles per day. 40+ mpg was typical on my run cruising at 65 mph. I always got over 400 miles out of a full tank. The Bad: Engine knock after about 50k. Car sounded like it had no oil in it. Interior wear was horrible. Paint came off steering wheel center, seats scotchguarded still stained from hardly anything. Radio issues.
Favorite Features
Ride, mpgs, I got 60k out of my tires (Hankook). The stereo was nice when it worked. People always asked me was it brand new because I kept it spit shined.
Suggested Improvements
I suggest making a car that doesn't sound like it has no oil when properly maintained like mine was. The excuse I got from Hyundai was it did that because I didn't always use genuine Hyundai Oil Filters. I don't agree. This car was serviced regularly and I used the recommended oil. The car also blew blueish grey smoke upon heavy acceleration. I got rid of the car at 86k. I miss the mileage but not the car. Buyer beware if you don't plan on getting your car serviced at a Hyundai dealer. I don't recommend this vehicle.