Good Car in Need of a Suspension!
By brooklynjoel on
2013 Hyundai Elantra GLS PZEV 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 6A)
My wife and I purchased our Elantra GLS in late June of 2012. So far the car has required nothing other than routine maintenance in the 8,200 miles we've driven it. Our main reason for purchasing this car was to obtain good fuel economy, and good value. It replaced a 2003 Honda Accord 4 cylinder that was burning a quart of oil every 700 miles with only 86,000 miles on it! The best I've seen using the cruise control on the highway (65 mph) is about 33 mpg, which is lower than we expected. In NYC traffic, the fuel economy has dipped to as low as 16 mpg. This is disappointing. Hyundai has promised to reimburse us for the fuel economy shortfall as has been widely reported.
Favorite Features
Of all the small cars out there this is by far the most attractive design, although this is of course subjective. The engine and transmission are very smooth and refined...they are actually a real pleasant surprise. I like the satellite radio, the gauge cluster, and the size of the trunk at nearly 15 cu. ft.. This is the only car in this class that I looked at besides the Honda Civic that as a 6 ft. tall 225lb. male I felt comfortable in. The Corolla was too small. The seats are for the most part comfortable, although lower back support could be improved. This car has good legroom for the driver.
Suggested Improvements
The most unpleasant trait of this car is what I consider to be a woefully weak suspension system. With myself, wife, and two kids (way under listed load capacity) in back, the suspension bottoms out way too easily. It has tremendous impact harshness on the admittedly poorly maintained roads here in the 5 boroughs of NYC. I find myself slowing, and actively trying to avoid potholes, which is a road challenge I don't need on top of the usual difficulties of driving in NY! Not being an engineer, I would describe the rear as "stepping out" when you hit bumps. This can be disconcerting. My other two minor gripes are that the seat fabric is wearing, and the headliner looks like cardboard.
By brooklynjoel
on 02/18/14 05:48 AM (PST)

I wanted to give an update on my Elantra. It now has 14,000 miles on it. With this terrible winter, the suspension's weakness is even more apparent, given the horrendous potholes here in NY. It sustained $2,300 in damages due to potholes: Two blown tires, two damaged rims, and a blown front strut. A good body shop fixed all of this and my car is fine. One thing I have noticed is that the idle on this car is intermittently rough. The check engine light has never come on, nor has the car stalled, so I haven't brought it in. Having searched the internet, I think it may have to do with the "smart alternator" kicking in and out, but I can't be sure. I have had no other problems or concerns. The car remains reliable,

By whatfuture
on 03/10/14 16:04 PM (PDT)

Ah my. You live in the land of the constant potholes. I lived in the area for 22 years and know them well. The difference - in my Subarus (we went through three) took the impact. No problems with struts and no problems with blown tires from potholes - nails, yes. Bad enough rims on the Impreza that I had them replaced with alloy wheels but that was more of my driving issue than the car's. But the other two Subarus took potholes without issue and they were higher and are better built cars. I'm really glad to see your car is surviving. I've had extreme trepidations about all the ghastly and consistent reviews on this vehicle. I bought it due to a good rating by Consumer Reports (as I bought almost every other car). But whether CR maintains its consistently accurate reviews on this car remains to be seen.