Finally....... Elantra at a good price!
By litesong2 on
2013 Hyundai Elantra GLS 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 6A)
Coming from small cars, I no longer have to apologize to the 3 people in the back seat. Elantra has 54.8 inches of rear seat shoulder width! No gas powered car getting almost 40mpg, OR weighing up to 300 pounds more than Elantra, OR less than 70+ inches of exterior width has it. Yep! 3 people in the back of a smaller car don't have to bruise each other's arms, any more. MPG? Yep. Just laid down 43mpg with 3 people, a/c, & 3.5 hours of cooling engine time. Took it on my favorite valley back country trip & the trip computer indicated 49-50mpg. Of course, heavy town or city traffic knocks that nice number down a lot.
Favorite Features
I said the only automatic tranny I would buy was a smooth as silk CVT. But the Elantra automatic is very nice...... very very sweet. Tho proud that I could beat lots of cruise controls for mpg, the Elantra cruise control is great if used properly. Without instantaneous mpg, the trip computer resets easily, when you need instant mpg readout. The stereo sounds great with enough power for deep deep bass. Tho it doesn't have an equalizer, the 3 band tone controls are pretty good, as are the fader & balance, despite the lack of HD radio. Love the easy manual height adjustment.
Suggested Improvements
The 205x55x16 inch wheels cause me to wish the tires were just a bit taller. & get a spare tire back in the trunk. Fortunately, an old spare from my previous & different brand car fits the Elantra. The alloy wheels could have been better to match the beauty of the Elantra.
By litesong2
on 07/05/13 10:05 AM (PDT)

My auto tranny Elantra(Epsilon Lyrae) continues to pour it on. Incidentally got on a section of quiet smooth pavement, & Epsilon Lyrae felt like it was a magic carpet. Accompanying passengers remarked on the event! Last tank of gas lasted 423 miles with 2.6 gallons remaining, not on a day trip, but after 5 days. Initially, the trip computer in Epsilon Lyrae at fill-up, indicated ranges of 340-360 miles. The computer is learning my driving technique, now indicating my range is 411 miles. Average has risen to 38.9mpg. Using my feather footing, in conjunction with the trip computer & shift patterns of the auto tranny, the gallons of gas are squeezed for their energy.

By whatfuture
on 01/29/14 16:12 PM (PST)

I would not trust the MPG readout in the car. I know mine is useless - it's off @12%. I personally appreciate your updates. Yes, when driving on hills or city, the MPG drops on every car. Ethanol 10% wears engines and lowers gas mileage. It is a fact. Finding regular unleaded is impossible for many people. It's also (where I live) about 30-40 cents/gallon more. I use it on smaller engines such as a motorcycle and was warned not to use ethanol in a lawnmower. I wonder what the EPA used... Thanks for the thought!

By litesong2
on 09/24/13 21:24 PM (PDT)

Update(Sept. 24): Last 7 of 10 tanks have been 40mpg or better. Overall average has been 39.5mpg using 100% gasoline, with 15% city driving, easy driving & not fast highway speeds. Use 100% gasoline to increase mpg from 5% to...... if lucky, 10+%.

By litesong2
on 06/20/13 12:16 PM (PDT)

Fourth gas tank follow-up on mpg......... average is 37.6mpg. Take it easy on the throttle & learn how to drive for mpg. If you don't or have too much stop & go city driving or many hills, the high mpg will go away..... & quickly.