engine knocking
By buddy75 on
2013 Hyundai Elantra GLS 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 6A)
bought my 2013 elantra in Febuary. I was told I could have my routine oil changes done at any reputible dealer as long as it is documented. I live 30 miles from the dealer and work alot of hours. As it came time for my oil change I took it to valvoline and had my first oil change at 3,800 miles. The very next day my engine was making a knocking niose. i called the dealer and took the car in. I then paid for another iol change and was handed a bulletin dated sept. 2012 that states anything but a huyndai oil filter can cause engine knocking. The oil change did not fix the engine knock. I now have a car with less than 5,000 miles and an engine knock. The dealer is less than helpful.
Favorite Features
love the looks, just gotta lean down embarrassed from the engine knocking.
Suggested Improvements
make buyers beware that they can only use huyndai oil filters.
By brooklynjoel
on 08/19/13 11:45 AM (PDT)

I feel really sorry for this owner. What a callous dealership! I'd find another one or a reliable independent shop to look further into the engine knock. However, you should be aware that it is ILLEGAL to void a warranty due to using a non-Hyundai oil filter. It goes against the Magnusson-Moss Act. If Hyundai insists their filter must be used, THEY must pay for it! I've done research on this issue, and it seems the oil filter TSB that this owner cites dates back to the mid-2000s, and was issued by Kia as well.

By dj_views
on 06/25/13 21:28 PM (PDT)

I have owned a 4d 1.6L Elantra since October 2012. I have had issues with the knocking for the past 3 months. The Hyundai guys haven't been able to fix the problem. I nowintend to file a consumer complaint against Hyundai Motors.

By donjo13
on 10/15/13 21:15 PM (PDT)

Mine knocks badly as well. I will have to try a hyundai oil filter and see. I've been using Merchants Tire to change the oil and filter since its closer.