2013 Hyundai Elantra Consumer Review: Beware of water

2013 Hyundai Elantra - Consumer Review

2013 Hyundai Elantra

Limited Sedan (1.8L 4-cyl. 6-speed Automatic)

Beware of water
By ggullett on

2013 Hyundai Elantra Limited 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 6A)

I purchased the Elantra limited in 2012 after having done a bit of research on the vehicle for mpg, value, and etc. And after driving nearly 78k miles I can say that there are better vehicles for the money. I am on my second set of tires and both sets have horrible road noise that is amplified when stopping on wet pavement. I have had the car looked at by the dealer and they can't find anything. Also the steering wheel would pull to the left since the day I drove the car off the lot to which again the dealer said nothing wrong.

I purchased my vehicle for 22k on the road. Evidently, my vehicle has lost 50% of it's value after having an issue (see below) and looking at the possibility of a trading it in for something else. I really wish I had went with a Toyota Camry or Corolla.

The vent to the air filter box needs to be higher. I drove through 10-12 inches of water coming home during a hard rain and the car stalled. After slipping off my shoes and socks, I walked the 3/4 mile home so I am well aware of how shallow the water was actually. The Elantra sucked in enough water to hydrolock and bend a connecting rod that isn't covered by warranty. I called Hyundai and the gentleman stated he has had several callers have the same issue. While Hyundai may look at this eventually, my only recourse was to turn it in to insurance. The repair options the dealer gave me were a hyundai reman engine $4500, new engine $6500 or rebuild current engine for $2500...

Are you the author of this review?

Update Your Review
By jodyy
on 08/25/14 07:52 AM (PDT)

Only second set of tires at 78K? I'm on my third set at 40k. Rears already cupped out and sounding like a tank driving down the road. Turns out many people are having problems with the rear axle/ crossmember/ alignments of these vehicles and they eat through rear tires and or handle poorly. My car is currently in the dealer for the 4th time to assess this problem.