2013 Hyundai Elantra 1.8L 4-cyl. 6-speed Automatic Consumer Review - Badly worn rear tires, fishtailing

2013 Hyundai Elantra - Consumer Review

2013 Hyundai Elantra GLS 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 6A)

GLS Sedan (1.8L 4-cyl. 6-speed Automatic)

Badly worn rear tires, fishtailing and slipping since day 1
By ellegirl on

2013 Hyundai Elantra GLS 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 6A)

How do I get the dealership to acknowledge this issue? Both rear tires are extremely worn and cupping causing a deafening roar on the inside of the car. The rear slips and fishtails over bumps in the road (regardless of whether we are going 35 or 60 mph). I thought it was something we needed to get used to, but after much research we realize there is a serious issue. Finally took the car in yesterday to Rick Case Hyundai and the service tech told me it was normal because the rear axle is a solid fixed axle so it cannot be out of line and that the fishtailing/slipping is just because the car is lightweight. Rear tires are visibly pigeon towed and roll slightly inward.

Suggested Improvements

We have 30,000 miles on this car and are so disappointed with the performance of the 2013 Elantra. Has anyone else dealt with the same issue? And do you have a solution to the fishtailing over bumps in the road. I have read that other Elantra owners have added weight in the trunk or added a weight bar to the rear. Others have had to have some repair to power steering, alignment and/or rear shocks. Any suggestions?
By whatfuture
on 05/11/14 14:36 PM (PDT)

Brother, this is so "Hyundai." I have a recommendation I used over 30 years ago with a new car I bought and it worked. Hyundai is a different beast, though. Find out who your local district Hyundai manager is and make arrangements to meet with him. Show him/her your documentation and ask how it will be resolved. You can also go through BBB and file a complaint. * * * Here's another, perhaps more odd route. I live in the boonies (sort of). We have one dealer here and I haven't found a brain in any of the people who work there. So, I called a place an hour away. If I drive it to them, they're willing to look at the problem. It's still risky. I did call them about my GPS locking up under 1k miles (Elantra LTD) and they said they'd have to reproduce the problem. I thought, certainly the error message has been reported somewhere and reproducing it ... they can't. I've had to drive it (this last time) 275 miles on a trip and got hosed up. I went to a dealership where I was going and the mechanic immediately knew what the problem was ... well, he thought a sw update. It wasn't. He managed to get permission to replace the unit from Hyundai. The scare was he said he was glad he had connections. Hyundai does not want to fix problems or they don't have enough people who know what they're doing. If this last place wasn't going to fix the problem, I would've had to go through BBB. Our state attorney general is a paper pusher and didn't do a thing with another issue I had. Good luck.

By brletrick6
on 08/20/14 08:59 AM (PDT)

It is your rear shocks that are broke that are causing this issue to happen. Take is to a different dealership to get a second opinion. I just had this happen to me and both back shocks were busted and both front axles were bad they replaced all and was covered by my warranty. This is a unsafe car to be driving like this. They wouldn't even let me drive mine home they gave me a loner car.

By jodyy
on 08/25/14 08:17 AM (PDT)

I have a similar issue, as do many 2013 Elantra owners. Bought car new. Three sets of rear tires eaten up in 40k miles. Current set badly cupped after 5k miles and very noisy, even on the back. I tried to rotate to the front and the noise and vibration was unmanageable so I moved them back. Dealer originally said nothing was wrong, after multiple visits and this latest set cupping almost immediately, dealer says rear crossmember is bent. $1600 dollar repair. Dealer went further to say I had caused the bend with an accident or pothole (not the case) and would be responsible for repair. I then contacted the general manager of the dealership and the car is currently in to be looked at again. We'll see what happens. Hyundai customer service is a joke. I contacted them and was told that they essentially just go with whatever the dealership says. My next step will be to contact the bbb and start calling attorneys, checking into lemon law or possible class action litigation. This car was defective from the factory. I may try to contact a regional manager as someone suggested above. I also experience the "loose" back end over bumps and around corners. That doesn't bother me. Even though the sensation got my attention at first, I have since realized that the car ultimately remains stable. It never actually slides or results in any loss of control, it just feels squirrely. I imagine if I drove extremely aggressively this "loose" sensation could become a slide or spin out. I do suspect this is related to the defective rear assembly and is probably contributing to the accelerated tire wear and damage. Unfortunate, the car has been decent otherwise, a lot to like about it.

By jodyy
on 08/25/14 08:28 AM (PDT)

The service tech telling you the rear cannot be out of alignment is categorically false. What is true is that the rear alignment cannot be adjusted. The alignment is "fixed". This does not mean the rear cannot be misaligned. It turns out many of these cars are being sold with defective bent/misaligned rear axles. There are countless small, lightweight cars on the road. They do not all fishtail/slip in the rear. The elantra has a design/manufacture flaw.