After 21K Miles Update
By jhunkins on
2013 Hyundai Elantra GLS 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 6A)
Been 18 months since I bought this car for commuting. Have seen a large number of negative reviews about this car so I thought that an effort to balance the scale was in order. Is it the greatest ever?...No, but it is rock solid and does what it is supposed to do. My observations at the 20K mile point: - Gas mileage = never been below 32mpg regardless of driving habit, season, hills, etc. On freeway, it easily surpasses 40mpg. - Electronics = Stock sound system better than average and much better than the crappy JBL system in my wife's Highlander limited. - Road noise/bumps = Yes, it is noisy and you feel every bump but it is an economy car. Have not seen the issues presented here.
Favorite Features
- Large trunk - Sound system - Standard Sirius XM - Comfortable seats - Exterior design - Excellent gas mileage - Turning radius - Snow handling - Not a Toyota or Honda
Suggested Improvements
- Rear window wiper - Change seating material to something that does not absorb and show every single thing - Increase power to at least 170HP
By whatfuture
on 07/22/14 08:43 AM (PDT)

1. In 2014, the horsepower went back to where it should be - over 160. I thought the lower HP would be okay for me but it feels someone dangerous. Time will tell if it is (maybe). 2. Snow handling? I'm at the base of a mountain (not on it) with slight hills. In my new 2013 Elantra, after the snow plows and sand had been laid, I still couldn't manage a slight incline. I had to use a shovel and clear the blacktop road. The tires are typically not the best on a new car and my view is these are worse on the Elantra (go read reviews on Hancook). 3. Music is important to you but it doesn't affect the more critical issues such as MPG (you lucked out if you are doing manual calculations), tire handling. MPG on highways goes up but not anywhere close to what the incorrect MSRP shows (or showed, I stopped looking a month or so ago) on the stickers - they were in error for likely obvious reasons. 4. I tried selling the car below and around $1k but I would've taken such a hit, I couldn't. 5. In my opinion after owning probably about 7 cars in my lifetime or more, is with the large trunk, comfortable seats and more (not close to excellent MPG - hence the lawsuits that I believe continue), is to not buy into this. Mechanics, customer service, fixing issues and not arguing a lot with the consumer, and telling the truth would bring more consumers to Hyundai than not. Since Hyundai admitted to submitting incorrect mileage to the EPA and leaving consumers still buying into their incorrect mileage even after this admission, leaves me yearning to leave this company forever.