ABS problems in ice due to cheap tires
By adveragedriver on
2013 Hyundai Elantra GLS 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 6A)
As a whole, I like this car. It has a very comfortable driving position for someone my size (6'3"), gets good gas mileage (though not what was advertised), is reasonably quiet and has this nice extended warranty. I have noticed a couple of significant problems, however, one of which is dangerous. But first, for the false sales pitch. The sales person will tell you that the oil only needs to be changed every 7500 miles. That was one of the selling points to me. But the manual has all sorts of fine print around that figure, so the actual service guys will tell you that you may void the warranty unless you change the oil around every 5000. So don't get caught in that trap. see below
Favorite Features
Comfortable seating position for the driver--enhanced by the smaller steering wheel. Good mileage. Fairly quiet. Well set up controls. Oh! Two non dangerous issues which I don't have space to mention below. 1. As other reviews have mentioned, tires are very easily punctured. 2. Tried three new Garmins, all had this odd feedback issue which made them difficult to understand. I'm guessing it has to do with the bluetooth or antena interaction with the more advanced garmin and the car. My old one works just fine, but I can't get live traffic without upgrading.
Suggested Improvements
The dangerous part is that the cheap tires the car came with cause the ABS to malfunction under certain slippery conditions. At least, that's the service people's explanation. ABS kicks in too early, causing one to lose breaking power, nearly ran into a stopped car yesterday. The "fix" is that you have to purchase new and better tires, even though these one's aren't worn out or defective (just cheap), so they don't come under the manufacturer's warranty. Currently having a discussion with Hyundai. I think that, since it is needed to fix the ABS system, and it started when the car was just a few months old (first winter, this is second), it should be covered. We'll see. But be careful.
By whatfuture
on 01/29/14 15:57 PM (PST)

Thanks for the warning about ABS. I wouldn't do without it. What type of tires do you have? I have the Ltd. with Hancook (Korean). Crazy...

By adveragedriver
on 01/23/14 13:23 PM (PST)

Follow up. As expected, passing the buck. Hyundai says that tires are not covered under their warranty, so even though the current one's are not worn out, I have to pay to replace them in order to fix the ABS problem. So much for "the best warranty in the business."