2013 Hyundai Elantra GLS Sedan Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2013 Hyundai Elantra Sedan - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Elantra model:
Great car
By eanjel on 12/20/12 16:19 PM (PST)

2013 Hyundai Elantra Sedan GLS PZEV 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 6A)

I have 2,780 miles on the car I boght in Oct./12. My mpg was between 24 and 32 since I bought the car until today when I got 38.1 mpg. I'm noticing that as the car breaks in, the mpg is getting higher and the performance is getting better. It's a little bumpy on uneven streets or highway, but I can overlook that aspect of the car because of the great price and features this car has. I took 3 weeks researching and nothing came close to the Elantra GLS in price and features. Great car! I'll keep updating my reviews as time goes on.

Rough rider!
By exhonda on 12/06/12 19:23 PM (PST)

2013 Hyundai Elantra Sedan GLS PZEV 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 6A)

Without a doubt the noisiest and hardest riding car I've ever owned. On complaint,I was told perhaps nitrogen filled tires may be unbalanced. Guess what? That was not the problem. I was told they could not duplicate the problem[s] and was signed off. I have 2400 miles and will trade in on another 'brand' ASAP!

THIS CAR IS SUCH A FUN DRIVE!
By zealart on 12/03/12 19:15 PM (PST)

2013 Hyundai Elantra Sedan GLS 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 6A)

I love driving this car. I've been using it for my commute to work, and I average a combined 34-39 mph, well above the 33 they've rated. In Los Angeles no less! For all the people complaining about low mileage, if you drive in stop-and-go in the city a lot, your mileage will suffer. You have to actually reset your MPG on the highway to get the magic 40. As long as you don't have a lead foot, you'll easily hit the 30s and higher. I get 43 mpg exclusively on the highway, doing about 80-85% hwy driving. If you can drive 40-55, you'll probably get even better. I actually ENJOY driving to work because I love driving this car!

40 MPG is disappointing
By somms on 10/19/12 08:10 AM (PDT)

2013 Hyundai Elantra Sedan GLS 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 6A)

Bought this vehicle in August for its 40 mpg hiway rating as I travel 50 miles one way to work daily. I now have 3500 miles on this vehicle and the best fuel mileage I have gotton is 33.9 mpg traveling 65 mph on the hiway to and from work daily. With 9 fillups the mileage has ranged from 31.0 to 33.9 mpg. The dealership salesman has said that its not broken in yet and the mileage should get better as more miles are put on it. I have my doubts at this time that will happen. Other than the mileage issues, I have not had any other issues with this vehicle. It drives and handles beautifully.

20 Miles Per Gallon - For Real...
By lisam6 on 10/16/12 18:54 PM (PDT)

2013 Hyundai Elantra Sedan Limited 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 6A)

Do not buy this car if gas mileage is important to you. I have had this car for 4 months. I get only 20 miles to the gallon on city, flat road driving. Disaster.

Impressive, but lacking in some ways
By drewzkie on 10/09/12 12:24 PM (PDT)

2013 Hyundai Elantra Sedan GLS 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 6A)

We upgraded from an '08 Fusion SEL to a '13 Elantra GLS because we wanted to save money at the pump. Well, that's been a bit of a disappointment, 3 months and 2,100 miles later we're averaging 22.5MPG cty and ~28-30MPG hwy. Some people say we're still breaking it in while others say we're passed that. We're holding out until 5K miles to see if there's an improvement, if there's not we may be reconsidering the Elantra. Another issue is the cloth on the drivers seat is already deteriorating. We're gentle in our handling of the car including how we enter/exit but it's still showing signs of disintegration. We like the car, but we took on a payment to get better MPG, so far we're disappointed.

Just Great
By newhyundailuvr on 10/04/12 09:38 AM (PDT)

2013 Hyundai Elantra Sedan GLS 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 6A)

I do not understand any of these complaints. The engine might not be out of a Viper, but it has no issue getting up to speed or passing a slower car. I have a heavy foot and I still stay around 35mpg. I do notice a bit more road noise then I expected but I think that may be the tires. $20,000 buck and I get and auto, bluetooth, heated seats, sat radio good ride, peppy engine, and it is a good looking car. It is family time here and we bought a Tuscon. We like the car and the dealership so much (which i have never said before) we went back and purchased the Elantra. Just a great car and a great value. And did I mention at the touch of a button music streams from my phone?

Best car under 20k
By ascullin on 09/30/12 17:20 PM (PDT)

2013 Hyundai Elantra Sedan GLS PZEV 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 6A)

Just purchased a 2013 Elantra Automatic, with the Preferred Package and Auto Dimming Mirror. I highly recommend both options. I do mostly mixed driving and my mpg is averaging in the low 30s with the eco button on.

Love my Elantra!!
By johnb62 on 09/30/12 05:15 AM (PDT)

2013 Hyundai Elantra Sedan GLS 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 6A)

Have owned my 2013 Elantra GLS for three months (6000 miles) and it has performed beyond my expectations. I commute 65 mile roundtrip daily to work 70/30 highway to city driving and am avering approx. 36-37 mpg. A recent trip I exceeded 40 MPG.

Mileage and Feature as Advertized
By reedy06 on 09/17/12 13:33 PM (PDT)

2013 Hyundai Elantra Sedan Limited 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 6A)

My wife and I were looking for a commuter car that had navigation, leather and a sunroof. We considered and test drove the Mazda 3, Escort, Civic, Cruze, and the Elantra Limited. We evaluated features, price, comfort, power, styling, warranty, gas mileage and build quality. When using our criteria, the Elantra was the clear winner. We have 1,500 miles on the car and are averaging 33 mpg in mixed driving. You will get 40+ on the highway. As previous reviews said, the road noise can be loud at times; however, on a smooth road, it is of normal volume. All in all, you will not be disappointed with this purchase. Hyundai has come a long way in a short period of time.