40 MPG is disappointing
By somms on
2013 Hyundai Elantra GLS 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 6A)
Bought this vehicle in August for its 40 mpg hiway rating as I travel 50 miles one way to work daily. I now have 3500 miles on this vehicle and the best fuel mileage I have gotton is 33.9 mpg traveling 65 mph on the hiway to and from work daily. With 9 fillups the mileage has ranged from 31.0 to 33.9 mpg. The dealership salesman has said that its not broken in yet and the mileage should get better as more miles are put on it. I have my doubts at this time that will happen. Other than the mileage issues, I have not had any other issues with this vehicle. It drives and handles beautifully.
Favorite Features
Heated seats are nice and bluetooth works great. Lots of backseat space.
Suggested Improvements
Clock does not turn on manually without the vehicle key ignition turned on. All other vehicles I have offer this instant clock on feature.
By litesong2
on 06/23/13 10:17 AM (PDT)

As you stated, " Lots of backseat space"......the Elantra has more rear seat shoulder room than any(?) gasoline car getting near 40mpg, & weighing 300 pounds heavier than Elantra & with an exterior width less than 71 inches.

By fl_lead_foot
on 10/21/12 18:02 PM (PDT)

We have 2 Elantras (2012 & 2013), I, with a VERY HEAVY foot, can get 25MPG around town all day long and my wife in combined driving averages @34MPH, not far off the 35 combined estimate. We have driven our Elantra on a 2000 mile round trip and averaged 41MPH on interstate driving @75MPH!

By pndcke
on 10/28/12 14:27 PM (PDT)

I wanted to post this in general based on MPG concerns, as I like Hyundai's. It is never a better deal to sell your used car that is paid off, for a better mileage car and a car payment. My 06 Ford Five Hundred is paid off with 99,300 miles, averages 26.9 mpg city/hwy and to spend $25,000 for any car that gets 35 or 40 MPG will never save me money and a similar replacement Ford Taurus is already $10,000 more sticker-wise in just 6 short years.

By donjo13
on 10/15/13 21:21 PM (PDT)

I drive 250 miles a day and have 60k on my 2013 already. I get about 42-43 highway on a interstate with cruise control on at 65 everyday. I used to only get around 37. I slowed down and know how to get the most out of the mileage now. Use the Eco button all the time now too.