2013 Elantra is Fantastic
By tjpavlik on
2013 Hyundai Elantra GLS 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 6A)
Our 2013 Elantra GLS is now a week old and has 400 miles on the odometer. After dealer problems (I don't want a blue one!!!). We finally bought our silver one literally right off the truck from a different dealer. The styling both interior and exterior is fantastic. Inside it seems to be about the same size as our 2002 Sonata. It has a lot of cubby holes and places to stow stuff. The sound system sounds great: XM, IPOD, AUX & CD. (It even has AM/FM!) Air conditioning is cold and on the 4th fan setting is downright breezy. Heated seats are the only difference between the 2012 and the 2013. THE GAS MILEAGE IS AWESOME! Averaged 40.2 mpg on the highway on a short trip. (Loaded, no a/c)
Favorite Features
DID I MENTION THE GAS MILEAGE? Running at highway speeds (65-70 mph) averaged over 40 mpg. After seeing this on the trip computer I refueled just to run the numbers. Mr. Hyundai does not lie. Getting 30+ in mixed driving. The 2012 redesign is still extremely fresh and turns heads. The warranty is still the best in the business. Hyundai had my back on 2002 Sonata l bought new and that was my primary reason for returning. The alloy wheels look much better than the wheel covers and the spokes are spaced so you can really clean the wheels. The controls on the steering wheel allow you control everything audio related. It has more features than should be available in an under $20K car.
Suggested Improvements
A few minor things really. The electronic steering is different; not bad, just different. It is sensitive at high speed and very effective when slow or stopped. I imagine I'll get used to it but its still new at this point. The interior fabric is not as nice as what I've had in my previous Hyundais. My other Hyundais had a softer, less industial like cloth. I hope its trade off is that it is durable. A leather wrapped steering wheel was standard on earlier year GLS models. Not so on this one. Gear shifter seems to be a little wimpy. Certainly doesnt inspire me to throw it to the right and work it through the gears manually. (Which you might actually do a few times a year)
By lleopold
on 05/23/12 13:17 PM (PDT)

On my most recent fill-up and commute (pure highway driving for 32 miles), I also saw the 40.2 mfg on the trip indicator (not loaded, except for my briefcase and me and no A/C). I was so jazzed that I took a picture of the panel just to show it off to my colleagues at work. Also seeing mixed city/highway at around 32-34 mpg, so I am totally satisfied with the fuel consumption.

By whatfuture
on 02/20/14 18:52 PM (PST)

The trip indicator is inaccurate. It's fun to watch but I'd literally compare it to a toy or very bad programming. Your actual MPG should be calculated manually when you fill up if you want a modicum of of getting closer to accurate. "Mr. Hyundai ..." does lie. Hence the class action lawsuit that has been settled. Hence my dealer leaving the bogus mileage (it's on what Hyundai calls a Monroney sticker) on the windows of the cars to draw in more customers knowing, per Hyundai, the mileage rating is bogus. Not loaded but for a briefcase and you meaning if you added a passenger to the vehicle, you would expect the mileage to drop ... that's the insinuation. So, you have minimally a four passenger vehicle and if you put a small family in it ciao mileage except it's not there with which to begin.