Used 2013 Hyundai Elantra Sedan Consumer Reviews - 112 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2013 Hyundai Elantra Sedan - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Elantra model:

low car maintenance/ cost to own
By oscar

2013 Hyundai Elantra Sedan GLS 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 6M)

I average 30 miles per gallon and have had no unscheduled maintenance costs. I had the car for 3 years now.

Big Value Car
By MEK

2013 Hyundai Elantra Sedan Limited PZEV 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 6A)

Purchased summer 2014 and was last 2013 on the lot. Bought it for $7K off sticker. Has everything I wanted equipment-wise. Nearly 40K miles now with absolutely no trouble. Only drawbacks are marginal power and some road noise at freeway speed. Not one rattle so far. All electronics, including navigation and upgraded stereo, have been flawless. When I calculate mpg, it has been 1-2 less than advertised, but I do drive faster than 65 on the freeway by 5-10 mph. I'm about ready to replace OEM tires which have been OK, but likely won't get the same brand---Hankook. All in all I have absolutely no complaints. If still true in another 40K miles I would say it's one of the best new cars I've purchased. Most of them have been Toyota Camrys.

Good car
By Rick C

2013 Hyundai Elantra Sedan GLS 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 6M)

Good reliable car at a moderate price. No major issues encountered during the three year leasing period.

Feeling Screwed Over
By Joe

2013 Hyundai Elantra Sedan GLS 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 6M)

I purchased a 2013 Elantra new. I immediately had issues with the mileage. It is stickered for 41 mpg highway. I have never gotten more than 34 mpg after adjusting for the 2.7 mpg the gauge is off when compared to the odometer and actual fuel purchased. The compensation card issued by Hyundai due to the court settlement doesn't even come close to compensating me for the lower mileage. This is the first car I have ever had that has gotten less than the sticker.

After 15k or 20k miles there were issues with the pollution control system that took 4-5 trips to the dealership to resolve.

Now at 107k (virtually all highway miles) the car engine started making rattling noises that turned out to be a bad piston. The dealer estimates the repair cost to be over $5,600. This is in spite of regular maintenance checks and oil changes.

Finally the two sets of 80k mile tires I have had on the car after the initial set that came with the car have each lasted less than 45k miles and developed significant road noise after about 25k miles even with regular rotation.

Never again will I purchase a Hyundai and I discourage everyone I talk to from purchasing one too.

Great Car for Daughter College Bound
By Cory

2013 Hyundai Elantra Sedan Limited 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 6A)

Get a 4 door. I bought a 2 door for my daughter because I thought it was "cool", found out 4 door better, even for her, dealer let me switch to a comparable 4 door. I have bought cars from this Used Car Dealer, now my friend, since 1989. He finds the cleanest, low mileage cars around. This 2013 Elantra had 9,500 miles when I bought 4 months ago. Now, under 11,000 miles. It has leather, seat warmers, blue tooth for phone, sunroof, great back seat leg room and huge trunk for my daughter's guitar, amp and equipment. I paid $13,800 for the car. Do not tell on me, but while test driving it on the Interstate, I punched it and the car went quickly to 120 miles per hour. It sips gas. I usually do not get extended warranties, but for a few bucks, I got a 100,000 mile, cover everything warranty and my daughter has to make one phone call if anything goes wrong. This should last her through college and beyond. I am very pleased. By the way, it has a snappy design that is an eye catcher. This is a great car.

Now after almost a year later, still very happy with the car. No issues whatsoever. I drove it while my own "Real Man Tahoe" was in the shop, on a short 130 mile trip. It is a pleasure on the Interstate. Stable, feels safe and plenty of punch to pass in a hurry. At one point, I had 3 others in the car and there was plenty of back room leg room. The tire air pressure is a little sensitive and will come on if you are only 2 psi above or below the recommended amount. I actually like that vs. checking tire pressure often. I have never checked the mileage myself, but I know I drove 130 miles on less than $12!