Used 2013 Hyundai Elantra GLS Sedan Consumer Reviews - 6 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2013 Hyundai Elantra Sedan - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Elantra model:

Good car
By Rick C

2013 Hyundai Elantra Sedan GLS 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 6M)

Good reliable car at a moderate price. No major issues encountered during the three year leasing period.

Feeling Screwed Over
By Joe

2013 Hyundai Elantra Sedan GLS 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 6M)

I purchased a 2013 Elantra new. I immediately had issues with the mileage. It is stickered for 41 mpg highway. I have never gotten more than 34 mpg after adjusting for the 2.7 mpg the gauge is off when compared to the odometer and actual fuel purchased. The compensation card issued by Hyundai due to the court settlement doesn't even come close to compensating me for the lower mileage. This is the first car I have ever had that has gotten less than the sticker.

After 15k or 20k miles there were issues with the pollution control system that took 4-5 trips to the dealership to resolve.

Now at 107k (virtually all highway miles) the car engine started making rattling noises that turned out to be a bad piston. The dealer estimates the repair cost to be over $5,600. This is in spite of regular maintenance checks and oil changes.

Finally the two sets of 80k mile tires I have had on the car after the initial set that came with the car have each lasted less than 45k miles and developed significant road noise after about 25k miles even with regular rotation.

Never again will I purchase a Hyundai and I discourage everyone I talk to from purchasing one too.

Very comfortable and reliable, but kinda scary too.
By crowcanada

2013 Hyundai Elantra Sedan GLS 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 6M)

Great value for money but not a great driver. Bought the car based on "bang-for-the-buck", perceived reliability, economy, and features. Scores on all those points (unlike others here, my dealer-maintained vehicle has had no problems at all.)

Mileage is good but not what was advertised (a lot better than my '04 Mazda 3, though.)

Defrosters - front and rear - are inadequate. Mirror and seat heaters are great.

Only real problem is the handling. The rear end will "step out" when you hit bumps in turns (e.g. expansion joints in highway overpass). It will hop around even on straight-and-level driving over broken pavement. Overall, it's "twitchy". Wife wants it gone as a result.

Control layout, comfort, ease of use, cargo and passenger capacity, features for dollar. I'll even throw in "reliability" as I've no problems whatsoever.

Improve handling. The closest approximation to the handling problem is a solid-axle pickup truck with no weight in back. My wife is an excellent driver but that handling has really shaken her up. It makes me nervous, too. It's the biggest reason why I wouldn't buy it again and I would recommend against it. Heater/defroster also needs improving; airflow is poor, vents don't cover entire windshield, and the heater takes a long time to heat up. (My Elantra Touring takes half the time to produce heat and it covers the windsheilf much better, but it's rear defroster is just as crummy.) The rear window needs a wiper in a worse way than any hatchback I've ever owned.

Hyndai Rewards Card for Mileage issues
By adveragedriver

2013 Hyundai Elantra Sedan GLS 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 6M)

This is less a review of this model than of Hyundia in general. In this case, I'm talking about the program to repay customers for when they overstated their EPA estimated mileage. 1st, they "average" the mileage between city and highway. Not so bad, except that they "round" the result to favor themselves. By high school math, whenever you get ".5", it gets averaged upwards. They average it downwards. Thus, for my 2013 Elantra, they were off by "1.5" mpg, so the averaged it to 1 mpg instead of 2. Then they make it very annoying to collect. For example, they don't send you a check, they use a "debit" card which you can't use without looking up your VIN #. Who carries that around?

It is a reliable, comfortable car. If they actually treated their customers better, I'd be looking for them for my next car as well. As it is, I'll be open to others.

They had a chance to do the right thing. Instead, by nickel and diming customers to death, and by making it unnecessarily difficult to collect, they don't help ensure customer loyalty. There's more on this issue, but I ran out of space above....

2013 elantra bad rear axle
By rockkem

2013 Hyundai Elantra Sedan GLS 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 6M)

they are replacing my rear axle for free. If I had rotated my tires like I should have I wouldn't have found out that my rear axle was bad. I had 1 rear tire with extremely odd wear, took it in and they found my axle was made very badly, had I rotated them like I should have, the wear would have been minimal and almost unnoticable on all 4 tires.