2013 Hyundai Elantra GLS Sedan Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2013 Hyundai Elantra - Consumer Reviews

2013 Elantra Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Elantra model:

Sort Reviews by

Very comfortable and reliable, but kinda scary too.
By crowcanada

2013 Hyundai Elantra Sedan GLS 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 6M)

Great value for money but not a great driver. Bought the car based on "bang-for-the-buck", perceived reliability, economy, and features. Scores on all those points (unlike others here, my dealer-maintained vehicle has had no problems at all.) Mileage is good but not what was advertised (a lot better than my '04 Mazda 3, though.) Defrosters - front and rear - are inadequate. Mirror and seat heaters are great. Only real problem is the handling. The rear end will "step out" when you hit bumps in turns (e.g. expansion joints in highway overpass). It will hop around even on straight-and-level driving over broken pavement. Overall, it's "twitchy". Wife wants it gone as a result.

Favorite Features

Control layout, comfort, ease of use, cargo and passenger capacity, features for dollar. I'll even throw in "reliability" as I've no problems whatsoever.

Suggested Improvements

Improve handling. The closest approximation to the handling problem is a solid-axle pickup truck with no weight in back. My wife is an excellent driver but that handling has really shaken her up. It makes me nervous, too. It's the biggest reason why I wouldn't buy it again and I would recommend against it. Heater/defroster also needs improving; airflow is poor, vents don't cover entire windshield, and the heater takes a long time to heat up. (My Elantra Touring takes half the time to produce heat and it covers the windsheilf much better, but it's rear defroster is just as crummy.) The rear window needs a wiper in a worse way than any hatchback I've ever owned.

Hyndai Rewards Card for Mileage issues
By adveragedriver

2013 Hyundai Elantra Sedan GLS 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 6M)

This is less a review of this model than of Hyundia in general. In this case, I'm talking about the program to repay customers for when they overstated their EPA estimated mileage. 1st, they "average" the mileage between city and highway. Not so bad, except that they "round" the result to favor themselves. By high school math, whenever you get ".5", it gets averaged upwards. They average it downwards. Thus, for my 2013 Elantra, they were off by "1.5" mpg, so the averaged it to 1 mpg instead of 2. Then they make it very annoying to collect. For example, they don't send you a check, they use a "debit" card which you can't use without looking up your VIN #. Who carries that around?

Favorite Features

It is a reliable, comfortable car. If they actually treated their customers better, I'd be looking for them for my next car as well. As it is, I'll be open to others.

Suggested Improvements

They had a chance to do the right thing. Instead, by nickel and diming customers to death, and by making it unnecessarily difficult to collect, they don't help ensure customer loyalty. There's more on this issue, but I ran out of space above....

2013 elantra bad rear axle
By rockkem

2013 Hyundai Elantra Sedan GLS 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 6M)

they are replacing my rear axle for free. If I had rotated my tires like I should have I wouldn't have found out that my rear axle was bad. I had 1 rear tire with extremely odd wear, took it in and they found my axle was made very badly, had I rotated them like I should have, the wear would have been minimal and almost unnoticable on all 4 tires.

Very good car... Except....
By 1ply

2013 Hyundai Elantra Sedan GLS 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 6M)

I've owned this car for almost 7 months so far. At 16K miles the brakes started to make a strange noise, I thought that it must be due to the extreme cold temperatures we've been having. NOPE, at 17k miles I'm being told that my brakes need service, and guess what it's out of pocket! Never mind that this car is driven 80% highway with limited use of brakes (no heavy traffic). Dealer treats this as NORMAL. I've had a mazda3 which only needed brakes every 60Kmiles. At this rate I'll be changing brakes every 8 months! Very poor design Hyundai. You may have just lost a(nother) customer.

Favorite Features

Exterior design, very nice. Interior design, good. Radio - decent - added a sub to make above average. Really enjoy the USB connection.

Suggested Improvements

Tires - the "all season" tires that come with this car are OK, IF you only drive it on dry roads. Once it rains, they lose traction very easily (or my car has 300 horsepower take your pick) I'll stick with "they suck". Currently driving on winters, huge difference, although car gets sqirrely on icy roads (wanders side to side - little scary). Change the stock tires Hyundai, otherwise we all have to support Tire Rack right after we buy a new car....