2013 Hyundai Elantra GLS Sedan Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2013 Hyundai Elantra Sedan - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Elantra model:
Very Nice Car
By hvac999 on 04/09/15 10:06 AM (PDT)

2013 Hyundai Elantra Sedan Limited 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 6A)

I purchased a 2013 in 2015 after looking into a Veloster. I found the Elantra to be the best bang for the buck. I have owned over 20 cars in my life and I feel the Elantra rate right at the top for all around buy. I bought the Limited with the Technology package and it is truly a small "luxury" car. Read the Edmunds review for all of the options and you will see it lacks little. I would give it a higher score on the fun to drive factor because I look for windy roads to drive. My car happens to be Hyundai Certified and that is what you should look for , just to be smart.My wife has a loaded hybrid Kia Optima and she enjoys driving the car as much as I do. Oh, the car was built in Alabama.

Mediocre with some big disappointments
By Douglas Shaffer on 02/26/15 15:33 PM (PST)

2013 Hyundai Elantra Sedan Limited 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 6A)

Overall, the car is "OK" but I will not be a repeat Hyundai buyer. I have the Limited and it has nice convenience features. However, the gas mileage has been a huge disappointment - not even close to the advertised levels. (And yes, my tires are properly inflated, filters and sensors are clean and I don't drive hard.) Also, in the winter months - every time I encounter a pothole - I create a blister in the sidewall of the tire. I've had to replace all four tires way before normal wear would dictate. The other disappointment is the poor handling in bad weather. Obviously the car is light but driving in any kind of snow is more treacherous than it should be.

Very comfortable and reliable, but kinda scary too.
By crowcanada on 02/06/15 10:29 AM (PST)

2013 Hyundai Elantra Sedan GLS 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 6M)

Great value for money but not a great driver. Bought the car based on "bang-for-the-buck", perceived reliability, economy, and features. Scores on all those points (unlike others here, my dealer-maintained vehicle has had no problems at all.) Mileage is good but not what was advertised (a lot better than my '04 Mazda 3, though.) Defrosters - front and rear - are inadequate. Mirror and seat heaters are great. Only real problem is the handling. The rear end will "step out" when you hit bumps in turns (e.g. expansion joints in highway overpass). It will hop around even on straight-and-level driving over broken pavement. Overall, it's "twitchy". Wife wants it gone as a result.

I will never buy Hyundai again!!!
By katm05 on 09/25/14 11:24 AM (PDT)

2013 Hyundai Elantra Sedan GLS 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 6A)

I'm so disappointed in my purchase of my 2013 Elantra. I had Volkswagans before and I loved them but was tired of dropping money after they hit about 100k and thought let me buy a "reliable" and "responsible" car. The only 2 pros I have are the outside appearance I still like and the gas mileage. The cons. I have 22k miles on this car and it hasn't been running too good. I get my oil changes and don't drive a long commute at all. It been running bad lately so thinking its such a new car and their "amazing" warranty everything should be covered. They are telling me I need to replace the PCV valve already and that is why my car got stuck at 40 mph on the freeway. and its not covered.

Follow Up Review: I wouldn't do it again!
By brooklynjoel on 09/18/14 14:28 PM (PDT)

2013 Hyundai Elantra Sedan GLS PZEV 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 6A)

Sadly, my experience with my car since my last review has soured me on it. I originally purchased it in June of 2012. In the last year, I have experienced multiple issues which make me question the long-term reliability, quality and engineering of this car. My issue with intermittent rough idle continues unabated, whether using or not using the a/c. It is clearly not an engine load issue. As well, now the transmission has developed an absolutely maddening metallic clicking sound intermittently when accelerating from a stop, or a roll, and sometimes when letting off the throttle. There is also a tick in the engine when it hasn't fully warmed up. This car is a "good looker" with a black heart.

Don't buy a Hyundai
By jodyy on 09/11/14 12:24 PM (PDT)

2013 Hyundai Elantra Sedan GLS PZEV 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 6A)

Hyundai is making defective vehicles that destroy tires. They will not acknowledge the defect. A few customers have been lucky and had their rear axles replaced at no cost, but most customers will just be told nothing is wrong and it must be the way they are driving or some other nonsense. I have 40k miles and have gone through 3 sets of tires on the rear. The set I have on now cupped badly within 5k miles and makes the car vibrate and very noisy. Both the dealership and the company will not acknowledge or fix the problem. Do your research before you buy this car. You will see there are many people having problems with rear tire wear/ handling/ noise/ rear axle problems.

Hyndai Rewards Card for Mileage issues
By adveragedriver on 09/06/14 15:59 PM (PDT)

2013 Hyundai Elantra Sedan GLS 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 6M)

This is less a review of this model than of Hyundia in general. In this case, I'm talking about the program to repay customers for when they overstated their EPA estimated mileage. 1st, they "average" the mileage between city and highway. Not so bad, except that they "round" the result to favor themselves. By high school math, whenever you get ".5", it gets averaged upwards. They average it downwards. Thus, for my 2013 Elantra, they were off by "1.5" mpg, so the averaged it to 1 mpg instead of 2. Then they make it very annoying to collect. For example, they don't send you a check, they use a "debit" card which you can't use without looking up your VIN #. Who carries that around?

Beware of water
By ggullett on 08/01/14 09:09 AM (PDT)

2013 Hyundai Elantra Sedan Limited 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 6A)

I purchased the Elantra limited in 2012 after having done a bit of research on the vehicle for mpg, value, and etc. And after driving nearly 78k miles I can say that there are better vehicles for the money. I am on my second set of tires and both sets have horrible road noise that is amplified when stopping on wet pavement. I have had the car looked at by the dealer and they can't find anything. Also the steering wheel would pull to the left since the day I drove the car off the lot to which again the dealer said nothing wrong.

Great styling and warranty, loaded with features, good handling, fuel economy and reliability
By trmichaels on 07/20/14 10:57 AM (PDT)

2013 Hyundai Elantra Sedan Limited PZEV 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 6A)

The car is elegant and stylish, inside and out. The tan interior is classy. The Civic was my second choice, but a little too boring (the Corolla even more so). The Elantra has the combination of handling, styling, and fuel economy that were my three main requirements. It's fun to drive. It is nice to look at. The features are many, especially on this trim with the NAV package. The navigation system/stereo/touchscreen is simple to use (you hardly need the manual) and is loaded with convenient features. The integration of XM radio, Internet music sources, external media and phone functions is seamless and convenient. The warranty rocks. The dealership treated me right. Excellent documentation.

Was a great car (at first)
By donjo13 on 07/12/14 20:11 PM (PDT)

2013 Hyundai Elantra Sedan GLS 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 6A)

I bought this car brand new in Oct 2012. I thought it was striking and loved the colors scheme in and out. I was amazed with fuel economy from the git go. I had a 2011 Mazda 2 which got around 32 mpg and was a much smaller car. It got totalled from a sandwich between a Cavalier and an Explorer on I-95 near Richmond VA. I used the car as a courier which was driven 250 miles per day. 40+ mpg was typical on my run cruising at 65 mph. I always got over 400 miles out of a full tank. The Bad: Engine knock after about 50k. Car sounded like it had no oil in it. Interior wear was horrible. Paint came off steering wheel center, seats scotchguarded still stained from hardly anything. Radio issues.