Used 2013 Hyundai Elantra Sedan Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2013 Hyundai Elantra - Consumer Reviews

2013 Hyundai Elantra Sedan

View reviews for a specific Elantra model:

2013 Hyundai Elantra - Do Not Buy
By sweenangel

2013 Hyundai Elantra Sedan GLS PZEV 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 6A)

This is by far the worst purchase I have ever made. The paint began to chip almost immediately followed by the steering wheel and gear shift. Then I got a flat tire and found that the car did not come with a spare tire. When I complained to Hyundai corporate I was told I should have reviewed the window sticker. Forgive me for assuming that the hole where the spare tire should be would contain a spare tire. The dealer did not point this out and they did not offer to sell me one. I hit a small pothole recently and the entire wheel cracked like it was made out of paper. The window sticker they chastised me for not reviewing carefully had incorrect gas mileage. Avoid at all costs.

Favorite Features

None.

Suggested Improvements

None. There is absolutely nothing they could do to get me to purchase another one of their vehicles.

Very Nice Car
By hvac999

2013 Hyundai Elantra Sedan Limited 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 6A)

I purchased a 2013 in 2015 after looking into a Veloster. I found the Elantra to be the best bang for the buck. I have owned over 20 cars in my life and I feel the Elantra rate right at the top for all around buy. I bought the Limited with the Technology package and it is truly a small "luxury" car. Read the Edmunds review for all of the options and you will see it lacks little. I would give it a higher score on the fun to drive factor because I look for windy roads to drive. My car happens to be Hyundai Certified and that is what you should look for , just to be smart.My wife has a loaded hybrid Kia Optima and she enjoys driving the car as much as I do. Oh, the car was built in Alabama.

Favorite Features

All for the Tech. Package goodies, fun to drive

Suggested Improvements

power passenger seat

44 MPG @ 65MPH on #66
By R. Lee Earman

2013 Hyundai Elantra Sedan Limited 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 6A)

Had a few problems but fixed under warrenty - really have no complaints.

Mediocre with some big disappointments
By Douglas Shaffer

2013 Hyundai Elantra Sedan Limited 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 6A)

Overall, the car is "OK" but I will not be a repeat Hyundai buyer. I have the Limited and it has nice convenience features. However, the gas mileage has been a huge disappointment - not even close to the advertised levels. (And yes, my tires are properly inflated, filters and sensors are clean and I don't drive hard.) Also, in the winter months - every time I encounter a pothole - I create a blister in the sidewall of the tire. I've had to replace all four tires way before normal wear would dictate. The other disappointment is the poor handling in bad weather. Obviously the car is light but driving in any kind of snow is more treacherous than it should be.

Favorite Features

Rear heated seats

Suggested Improvements

Accurate gas mileage, better tires, road performance & handling

Very comfortable and reliable, but kinda scary too.
By crowcanada

2013 Hyundai Elantra Sedan GLS 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 6M)

Great value for money but not a great driver. Bought the car based on "bang-for-the-buck", perceived reliability, economy, and features. Scores on all those points (unlike others here, my dealer-maintained vehicle has had no problems at all.) Mileage is good but not what was advertised (a lot better than my '04 Mazda 3, though.) Defrosters - front and rear - are inadequate. Mirror and seat heaters are great. Only real problem is the handling. The rear end will "step out" when you hit bumps in turns (e.g. expansion joints in highway overpass). It will hop around even on straight-and-level driving over broken pavement. Overall, it's "twitchy". Wife wants it gone as a result.

Favorite Features

Control layout, comfort, ease of use, cargo and passenger capacity, features for dollar. I'll even throw in "reliability" as I've no problems whatsoever.

Suggested Improvements

Improve handling. The closest approximation to the handling problem is a solid-axle pickup truck with no weight in back. My wife is an excellent driver but that handling has really shaken her up. It makes me nervous, too. It's the biggest reason why I wouldn't buy it again and I would recommend against it. Heater/defroster also needs improving; airflow is poor, vents don't cover entire windshield, and the heater takes a long time to heat up. (My Elantra Touring takes half the time to produce heat and it covers the windsheilf much better, but it's rear defroster is just as crummy.) The rear window needs a wiper in a worse way than any hatchback I've ever owned.