2012 Hyundai Elantra Consumer Review: Very good, but not excellent

2012 Hyundai Elantra Sedan - Consumer Review

2012 Hyundai Elantra Sedan

Very good, but not excellent
By albertyoun on

2012 Hyundai Elantra Limited 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 6A)

I previously leased a 2010 Elantra GLS.
Wow, the 2012 Elantra Limited is a huge improvement.
I shopped around, and did my research.
There is no better car available for $23k.
I liked the styling of the Mazda3 but the ride is terrible.
(Who cares about "handling" when that Mazda rattles your teeth on smooth pavement?)

If you want a compact car with leather, nav, and a backup camera (essential features for me), then this is your car.

+ The exterior styling. I love looking at my 2012 Elantra. + The navigation system is responsive and well-designed. Also, there is no cyber nanny: You or your passenger can utilize the navigation system while in motion. + The cabin feels very refined for a compact car. + The trunk has good space. I'm glad that they excluded that spare tire for the sake of more space and light curb weight. I live in a big city, and l'll call Hyundai's free roadside assistance if I get a flat. + Mileage is good. Moderate acceleration in city driving = 30 mpg for me. + The car smells great with leather.

Here are the things that I don't like: - The glove box doesn't open properly. I have to give it hard push before it opens fully. - My driver's seat makes this ticking/squeaking noise when I put pressure on certain areas. This is some problem with the build quality. The seat adjustments all work, but when I lean against or lean forward, there is some annoying ticking noise that indicates some chafing parts in the seat. - The tilt of the navigation system could be optimized. It has a slight upward tilt. It's not bad, but it could be better. - The backup camera colors should be optimized. At night, the colors are overexposed. Everything looks too whitish.

Are you the author of this review?

Update Your Review
By okcthunder1
on 10/08/11 09:52 AM (PDT)

I couldn't agree more with your comment on handling; the road conditions where I live are such that handling has to take a back seat to ride comfort. So how is your car on the highway? Much wind and/or road noise? Maybe your dealer could take a look at the noisy seat; that would be annoying to me as well!