Update
By thfrazer on
2012 Hyundai Elantra GLS 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 6A)
Sorry about the last review. The editors at Edmunds didn't quite get it right. I admit it was long. Exterior: Unique, eye catching, not mundane. Interior: Well appointed, well laid out. Very nice fit and finish. Excellent leg room in back. Relatively quiet. Motor: Powerful and responsive for a 4 cylinder. Somewhat noisy when pushed, but provides the power you need. Does well passing on the interstate. Other Mechanical Items: The brakes are good, the steering is responsive, and the knobs and buttons do not feel or look cheap. AC works great here in Florida. Radio w/ XM is nice, but I wish it had more power to push the speakers.
Favorite Features
Price. Warranty. Appearance compared to Civic and others I looked at. Interior quality and amenities. Quietness on highway. Legroom in back seat. Homelink mirror with compass. Features that are standard such as radio/bluetooth/cruise controls on steering wheel. Ipod hook up. XM for three months. Mute button. Five year warranty. Large side mirrors. Unobstructed view from drivers seat. Continental tires standard. Good value for the money.
Suggested Improvements
Fuel Economy: This is my least favorite thing about my Elantra. I drive 30 miles one-way to work with most of that on I-75. I don't normally drive to or from work during rush hour so that is not a factor. I have over 900 miles on the car. I've driven from Fort Lauderdale to Naples round trip on I-75 and done the normal errands of a family of five. I have never gotten better than 30MPG on any of the three tanks of gas I've bought. I will continue to monitor this, but I would not buy this car expecting to get the 29/40 they advertise. I usually drive 5-8MPH over the speed limit, but that should not drop it down that much. I do not do "jack rabbit" starts. Florida is flat to say the least.