2012 Hyundai Elantra Consumer Review: Pros and cons

2012 Hyundai Elantra Sedan - Consumer Review

Pros and cons
By hkharlee on

2012 Hyundai Elantra GLS 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 6A)

I purchased the 2012 Elantra about a month ago. I had a 2005 Sante Fe that got approx. 15 mph, no matter where I drove, town or highway. I am averaging 32-35 with the elantra, big plus! Love the interior and controls. The exterior: sporty. The cons: I find being able to see clearly while backing up, leaves a lot to be desired. I can understand why some models are equipped with cameras. The shape of the rear windows makes a blind spot, the height of the rear end is too high to easily see while backing. The headlights: even on high beam, there is not much distance or light. High beam looks like dim compared to my previous vehicle. I am more uncomfortable driving at night now.

Suggested Improvements

Either raise the front of the vehicle or redesign the back for safer backing. Redesign the headlights for safer night driving.
By newhartford
on 12/23/11 15:07 PM (PST)

I agree with hkharlee about the headlights. They aren't as good as my 2003 Elantra and definitely not as good as my wife's 2007 Tucson.

By litesong2
on 12/22/11 19:06 PM (PST)

Wonder if your lights need to be re-aligned. Could they be pointing too high or too low? Agree with you. Many many cars let the design engineers have their say, but safety engineers were left out in the cold.