2012 Hyundai Elantra Consumer Review: Nice styling and yes you can g

2012 Hyundai Elantra - Consumer Review

2012 Hyundai Elantra

GLS Sedan (1.8L 4-cyl. 6-speed Automatic)

Nice styling and yes you can get the advertised MPGs
By acaneb1164 on

2012 Hyundai Elantra GLS 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 6A)

I have the GLS with Preferred package (auto trans, a/c, bluetooth, steering wheel controls, etc.). I chose the Elantra after also driving the Cruze, Focus and Mazda 3. I have 1,200 miles on it.
Regarding mileage: I see some with the 2011 model (same vehicle) saying they don't get the stated 29/40 mileage. I would guess that they didn't follow the break in period instructions in the manual - for the first 500 miles drive at a variety of RPMs between 2-4,000 RPM as much as you can. If you have the auto transmission you can do this with the shiftronic mode. After break in, I can get over 42 mpg at 75 mph with the a/c on. The 29 mpg in city is tougher but can be done.

- Great fuel economy! - Great warranty - Good styling inside and out - Good space and great options (bluetooth, xm, ipod/aux inputs, telescoping wheel, etc.) for an economy car - Decent zip considering the engine size/fuel economy - Shiftronic is a useful option if you are in hilly or mountainous areas

- You can feel the road bumps more than in the Cruze - Car does seem easily whipped around at interstate speeds with wind - Some oversteering in corners - I have some trouble syncing my phone with the bluetooth when returning to the car (but that could be my phone for all I know [Droid Charge]) - Haven't driven in snow yet but the car is very light which I wonder about [I'll try to update this in the winter]

Are you the author of this review?

Update Your Review