Nice Looking Car But Poor Gas Mileage!
By vsher on
2012 Hyundai Elantra GLS 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 6A)
I purchased this car only because of all the reviews about the great gas mileage it was supposed to receive. I previously owned a Toyota Corolla and was able to get 32 mpg on average on the same route I am driving now with my new 2012 Hyundai. However, under the same driving conditions, I am only averaging 24 mpg with the Hyundai. I really wish I had just paid the extra money and purchased another Toyota. What I'm currently spending in additional gas monies probably will be more than the extra cost I would have paid for another Toyota. I will not purchase from Hyundai again.
Favorite Features
I do think the car looks really "classy" on the outside and love the Bluetooth Hands-Free Phone System. The roomy interior is also nice.
Suggested Improvements
I do not like the "sluggishness" that the car has when I engage the ECO button to try to improve the gas mileage. In addition, the gas mileage is bad and I feel that the advertisements for the mpg estimates are misleading.
By mybudfrogs
on 12/21/11 03:16 AM (PST)

You have to change the mode to ECO mode not just drive with the ECO light on. Read the manual. Also calculate your gas millage although the estimated mpg indicator is pretty good it is not as accurate as doing it your self.

By jduffy09
on 11/01/11 13:41 PM (PDT)

If you are getting 24 mpg you are doing something wrong. I would suggest maybe you need to adjust your driving style. I, and virtually all other Elantra owners I've talked to, am getting 32+ mpg in city driving. I am not using the Active Eco as I am a fairly conservative driver.

By sol9
on 10/25/12 13:06 PM (PDT)

I own a 2013 Elantra and so far I like it even though I am not much of an econo car person. Between interstate and city driving I can average 35mpg's. The key is to not heavy footing it to get it going, stay far enough away from the person in front of you so you dont have to hit your brakes and then give it gas over and over again, and only turn the eco on when you are on the interstate. From what I can tell the eco changes the shift points and those shift points are really not suitable for stop and go driving in the city and you end up using more gas to get up to speed. If you cannot achieve this type of mileage then you either live in a cold area or you have bad driving habits.

By maleoskop
on 01/10/12 08:25 AM (PST)

I bought a 2012 elantra on 12/28/2011 and the BEST I have been able to get is 32MPG, this is on a 40 mile drive with the cruise control set to 55MPH. I had one a few days before that ( engine sounded like a diesel so the dealer swapped it) and it got 42MPG...something is wrong!

By ryan815k
on 11/21/11 07:26 AM (PST)

I agree with the original poster. I keep my ECO boost on at all times and I purposely drive extremely conservative as to get the best MPG I can get. At best I am only receiving 24 with all city driving and 32 all highway driving.

By fl_lead_foot
on 10/24/11 20:41 PM (PDT)

You must be doing something SERIOUSLY wrong! My 2012 Elantra GLS GETS THE ADVERTISED GAS MILEAGE, when I drive in ECO mode, which for commuting like you eluded to you are doing is the way to drive it. If you want to wring it out, take it out of ECO mode and put the hammer down. I've owned my share of econo pocket rockets in the day (VW Jetta GLI (DOHC 16V) X 2 (like the GTI), Honda Civic Del Sol, Suzuki Swift GTi(DOHC 16V)), I like the souped up Matchboxes and the Hyundai is probably the best I've owned so far. None of my previous "toys" have gotten the gas mileage or come close to LOOKING THIS SEXY! I think you're [violative content deleted] and that's the one marque I've NEVER OWNED! I have owned, just foreign marques listed; MG, VW X 2, Mazda, Suzuki, Honda, Jaguar X 2, & Hyundai. You also sound like you're driving a MIXED circuit, where you SHOULD expect mid 30s. I just took mu first mixed trip of about 250 miles yesterday and averaged 38mpg with 3 people aboard!

By zunni
on 01/27/12 15:45 PM (PST)

I have a 2012 Elantra with 12,000+ miles on it. It achieves all claimed mileage specifications - I confess to some irritation when I read criticisms of poor gas mileage - with 12,000 miles of solid data - trust me - you either have a true lemon (I doubt this) - or you really need to learn how to drive the car appropriately (I have a six-speed box and drive in eco mode - you will get the advertised gas mileage!)

By shemeck
on 01/25/12 13:54 PM (PST)

same here Im really disappointed with gas mileage. no matter what im averaging 24mpg. my 2012 elantra has 6k on it. I regret buying this car because the gas mileage is really disappointing.

By daddyniowa
on 11/05/11 12:47 PM (PDT)

I'm trading my 2009 Hyundai Accent GLS rated at 35 Mpg's highway in tomorrow on a new Elantra six speed manual. I got 38 mpg's going on a 250 mile trip up to the dealer at 75 mph. Just for fun I drove up that way one day, with the cruise on at 55 mph with my automatic Accent and got 43 mpg's and I even made two stops! It's all in how you drive them. Slow steady starts and slow stops. If you feather foot them and keep the speed down a bit to say 70 highway you will do MUCH better.

By jtej
on 02/16/12 14:53 PM (PST)

I have a 2012 Elantra GLS with 3100 miles on it and absolutely love the car. It's peppy enough for me, considering when I had a gutless 22RE in a little Toyota Pickup. The mileage is night and day in comparison to what I'm used to driving. I will take the 28MPG I'm getting in the City any day over what I've gotten in the past in my other vehicles and I have a "LEAD FOOT". In other vehicles I've averaged anywhere from 4MPG-18MPG City and 6MPG-24MPG Highway. With my new Elantra I'm averaging roughly 28MPG City and 42MPG Highway. I live in Utah and I can tell you the roads here are from flat. I averaged 34MPG going from Salt Lake City, UT to Park City, UT which is up the mountains on Interstate 80 and an elevation difference of about 6000 feet, so that is quite the climb and I still averaged 34MPG going up that. The thing is for those who want to bicker and complain about their car getting crappy mileage is you wouldn't be happy if you were getting 100MPG you'd still figure something that you don't like.

By jerseyinferno
on 11/13/11 12:38 PM (PST)

I also agree with the original poster...I previously owned a Prius and switched to the 2011 Elantra Limited because I would be paying $100 less per month and figured at 40 mpg, I'd still come out ahead. I'm not an erratic driver, try to keep the ECO light on as much as possible and do primarily highway driving and I'm averaging about 29 MPG. The best tank full I've gotten is 32 MPG. My last tank I filled up literally one mile from the highway and gauged it for the next 48 miles on a highway with NO traffic and using cruise control and got 32 MPG. By the time I got off the highway and went the additional 5 miles to my home, it was down to under 30. I've been reading many posts similar in nature to this. Plus the fact, on a forum I find out the 2011 or 2012 Elantra has no spare tire! What the heck is that about? Who thinks to ask that question before you buy? The least they could have done is informed you and given the option to purchase it when you got the car. Never again will I buy a Hyundai!

By sol9
on 10/25/12 13:07 PM (PDT)

Btw I know how driving habits affect it cause my wife averages far less then I do and she does all the things I listed above as what you should not do.

By timruns
on 11/21/11 21:43 PM (PST)

Don't say we are doing something wrong. I have a 2012 Elantra Limited and also get around 24mpg. If I am 100% hwy i might get as high as 29mpg... There is definitely something wrong with some of the Elantras these last two years...

By fl_lead_foot
on 12/21/11 13:35 PM (PST)

The manual is a poorly translated Korean to English pigeon talk ... BUT ... THERE IS NO PROVISION to activate Active ECO EXCEPT to press the button. When the light is lit, it GENERALLY is in ECO mode ... EXCEPT ... according to the manual, you are in manumatic (sport) mode, climbing a hill with high engine demand, or you floor the accelerator (like "passing gear")!