2012 Hyundai Elantra Consumer Review: Love my new Elantra - great lo

2012 Hyundai Elantra - Consumer Review

GLS Sedan (1.8L 4-cyl. 6-speed Manual)

Love my new Elantra - great looks and fuel efficiency
By grandsportc3 on

2012 Hyundai Elantra GLS 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 6M)

I've read some of the other reviews and some people seem to be complaining about worse than expected gas mileage.. However, that seems to be only the case with automatic transmission. I have the 6-speed and on my first 3 fillups, I got about 39 mpg on average. The ride of the car is like a full size car. Very comfortable but not too soft suspension, good handling. I really love the exterior and interior design. The feel of the 6-speed transmission is great. So far, I have driven about 1300 miles with my new Elantra and I'm very satisfied.. I didn't expect the car to have sportscar like performance. The power it has is plenty for regular driving.

exterior and interior styling, fuel efficiency, ride comfort

mpg display in the onboard computer is about 2 - 3 mpg off (shows better than actual fuel efficiency). On my first fil up, it showed 42.8 mpg but I actually got 40.8. On my 2nd, it showed 41.4 mpg and I actually got 39.6 mpg and on the 3rd fillup, it showed 40.9 mpg and I got 38.3 mpg
By zunni
on 01/23/12 12:43 PM (PST)

The car is VERY capable of meeting the gas consumption claims - I have 12,000 miles of evidence to back this up :)

By litesong2
on 12/22/11 19:36 PM (PST)

Lots of Elantra mpg complaining would be solved with the manual tranny...... but so many people can't drive manuals. The Chevy Eco Cruze manual shift gets even better real-world mpg. But you'll pay $3000 more, be in the shop more with the turbo & direct fuel-injection, & I think the Hyundai will get to 200,000 miles better than the Cruze just because of its LACK of complexity. The Elantra has a longer wheel base, yet shorter turn radius, & more rear seat leg room. Elantra has the greatest rear seat shoulder room of ANY car getting 40mpg, & in several cases, almost 3 inches more rear seat shoulder room.