Hyundai is Big Time
By kevperro2 on
2012 Hyundai Elantra GLS PZEV 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 6A)
I've owned three Hyundai cars to this point (this is my 3rd) and they just keep getting better. They used to be mainly a value play. At this point the Elantra is better than anything in it's class in most ways. I don't have enough data on the fuel economy yet but I'd expect worse in-town than my 2008 Accent due to the weight/rolling resistance. On the first tank I'm in the low 30 (33mpg) with all short trips and around town. The Accent 5-spd gave me 32-33 under the same circumstances and I've babied the Elantra due to it being new. On the highway I'd expect the Elantra to do better due to low wind resistance and taller gearing. I'll update when I get more fuel economy data.
Favorite Features
How it drives and the interior. I bought it for the mix of fuel economy + comfortable layout & highway manners. Looks... I'm not driven by style in my purchasing choices but they hit a home run on the looks both inside and out. The automatic transmission is a work of automotive art. I normally hate automatics but this one is the cat's meow.
Suggested Improvements
Scratching my head on this one. I guess I'd suggest anything that would increase fuel economy without driving up the price but I think they grabbed all the low-hanging fruit already. Better MPG is going to equal more money to improve it much from here either in weight savings or direct injection.
By kevperro2
on 08/27/11 09:51 AM (PDT)

Update: 1600 miles and so far with mixed driving on highway, A/C, traffic, and neighborhood stop/go I've averaged 35.7 mpg. This is all with 10% ethanol mixed gasoline (mandated in WA). If I drive 55-60mph without many stops I can get it up around 44-45mpg but it quickly drops with speed. It will drop 70mph with A/C. If you get on the highway and stay 55-60mph it gets >44mpg. So for my vehicle, I'm getting better than the EPA estimates but I find that is the case with any vehicle I drive because of the way I drive. I'm estimating I'll get 40-43 mpg on the highway, 31-33mpg city and my overall mix seems to be around the 35-36mpg. Also... people have reported that the computer overestimates fuel economy. That has not been the case with mine. It has actually underestimated it based upon my manual calculations but not by much (0.3 mpg). It is probably statistically in the noise. I assume that people are resetting the computer and looking at small slices of their data and drawing poor conclusions based upon it. Overall at this point....I'd say the EPA estimates are right on the button and I've not changed any other opinions of the vehicle at this point. It is a great ride that sips fuel.

By nerl945
on 09/13/11 22:08 PM (PDT)

The "on board" on my 2012 is off from 3 -5 mpg. The dealership did a test on it and it was off 4.5 mpg. At 65, this car is NOT going to get 40 mpg on the highway, best I have gotten is 38.4 with "on board" showing 42.5.

By kevperro2
on 09/17/11 12:19 PM (PDT)

I track every tank (missed one so far acutally) and I do it manually on the fueleconomy.gov site. I see < 1 MPG difference from the dash computer to my manual ones. Just got 39.7 MPG on the last tank that was 2-lane roads. I've managed as high as 43 MPG but that was all highway at 60 MPH. Since day one I've managed around 35-36 MPG.

By svensmor
on 09/17/11 18:28 PM (PDT)

hey nerl just got 49 hwy today on a 60 mile hwy trip using cruise at 60mph seems that it WILL get 40 on the hwy huh.my driving consists of 98 percent city/suburban/rural i record mileage every day along with every tank and have never missed a day with 300 miles on my 2012 mt elantra my lifetime fuel economy for the car is over 41 mpg with verifiable results on my mileage logs there posted at cleanmpg.com my user name there is the same as here look it up

By svensmor
on 09/17/11 18:29 PM (PDT)

sorry 3000 miles on my car not 300 wheres an edit button when you need it