Frustrated w/ 2012 Hyundai Elantra Limited
By withpaul on
2012 Hyundai Elantra GLS 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 6M)
We bought the car in September 2011 (2012). The car is light blue, fun to drive as long as it's working. Rear view camera quite often doesn't work when in reverse. Rear back panel under the windshield became sticky jelly so it was replaced but the shop messed up the glass under the tail light. The rear seat began to fail taking another 4 hours to replace. The steering wheel began to peel - within 6 months became a mess so it was replaced. Navigation system with voice as you all know is junk. Satellite Radio is ok. Bluetooth doesn't always work. There's a tapping sound from the engine on start up and when freeway driving on cold days. Leaking oil from oil pan seal when only shop serviced.
Favorite Features
Good looks, love the handling but wish we could return the car for a refund due to the problems mentioned. We believe this car will not last 5-7 years before serious issues develop. When the rear camera does work correctly I find it helpful when parking and encourage my wife to rely on this also - when it works. I won't let the service department touch this car anymore - it comes back worse off than when it went it.
Suggested Improvements
Replace the navigation system with a decent one. Put some type of laser sensors near the wheels so that my wife knows when she's about to damage the allow wheels near curbs. The design of the car makes it hard for her to gauge where the curb is when parking. These low profile tires are great looking but the car rides rough - too rough even for low profile tires which we've had on other cars. We're getting pounded inside the car on bumps. The service shop in Lindon, Utah needs improvement. One woman actually seemed to care while the service manager denied everything I explained. I gave up finally. Angry with the sloppy work. They'd change the oil and we'd get oil drips under the car.