First new car with the worst mpg
By drewberry on
2012 Hyundai Elantra GLS 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 6A)
This is an update from the one I did 2 months ago or so. The car is still nice but the gas mileage sucks. No matter city or highway or driving conditions I only get between 21-25 mpg. And the miles to empty when full is 259 exactly. Both of those numbers are horrific for a compact car as well as a car that suppose to get 29 city/ 40 highway. I drive extremely gas efficiently and have not even came close to the 30s at least. I have started to look cars I can trade this for....maybe 2012 honda civic ex....But I am trully done with Hyundai. Such a disappointment.
By chezeppelin
on 03/15/12 09:09 AM (PDT)

point blank it'd be dumb for you to trade in your car. theres obviously something wrong with either your driving style or your car. i average 34-35 mpg per tank with as high as 45 mpg on the highway. sooo if its not your driving, then why don't you get your car checked out.

By gman4911
on 03/03/12 06:59 AM (PST)

A couple of things. First, your expectations are unrealistic. If you look at the window sticker, the City miles is listed as 29 and the range is listed as 24-34, Highway is listed as 40 and the range is 33 to 47. The terrain, weather, driving style, traffic conditions, etc all affect fuel economy so not everyone is going to hit the 29/40 number. In your first review, you admit to having a lead foot so that's partly the reason why you're not getting good numbers. Second, have you had the dealer perform a diagnostic check? It's possible there might actually be something wrong with the car. Try manually calculating your mileage instead of using the number reported by the computer. If there is a discrepancy, you might have a bad sensor somewhere.

By ictblueeyz1
on 07/21/12 18:07 PM (PDT)

I agree your mileage is HORRIBLE but not sure how you are driving or what weight/cargo u are carrying. I usually show 326-333 miles to empty when i fill up. I have a 2012 Limited. yes the mileage is usually about 2 mpg less than the indicator; however, i HAVE gotten 41.2 on the indicator after fill up on highway, windows up and no ac....and not much in the trunk. I average town driving (40-55 mph varies) and about 75 mph once or twice a month for short trips. I usually average about 33 with this combined. I now have just over 6K (purchased in mid Dec 2011). Note that around 3800 miles on the engine my gas mileage and miles to empty increased significantly.....was 309 to emplty. Hang in there. Where it is not consistent or too close to the 40mpg as posted, i hightly doubt other vechicles do either . This is the MAX under ultimate conditions...no wind, no weight, no air ha ha It still gets MUCH BETTER mileage than other cars of this size and power.

By fl_lead_foot
on 08/21/12 21:01 PM (PDT)

We have 16500 miles on our car, my wife gets 5 mpg better than I. She dives like an "old lady" I drive like a 20s male. The gas pedal makes a huge difference. The ECO mode is NOT for the heavy foot because you have to lead foot it all the more because the shift points are tuned for economy not performance. To get any performance in ECO mode the pedal is to the floor! On the long trip, 1000 miles, I have gotten 42 mpg, when diving, on a long trip, I set the cruise and go. Cruise control is a PROVEN mpg increaser!

By drewberry
on 03/04/12 15:59 PM (PST)

I agree with you about the lead foot and driving conditions. But I don't think my expectations are urealistic. I'm not expecting to be getting 40 mpg everytime I drive my car but at least 29-36. That's not unrealistic. I rented a honda civic this weekend. I got 32-39 mpg city and highway with it being cold and rainy and me having a lead foot. And at a half tank the range was at 280 miles, already more than my elantra is at FULL. So either my elantra has something wrong with it like you said orrrr hyundai made crappy, non-gas efficient car.

By gman4911
on 03/06/12 21:06 PM (PST)

It is unrealistic if you're driving with a lead foot. What are your driving conditions like? A lot of stop & go type driving will absolutely kill your fuel efficiency and it will happen with ANY car. You say you drive efficiently but lead foot is NOT efficient. Your idea of efficient driving must be different from everyone else. I bought my 2012 Elantra last week. On the drive home, I hit rush hour traffic and by the time I got home (about 15 mile trip), the computer was reporting 22 mpg. I have now driven the car a bit over 100 miles, mostly 25-45 mph, in the suburbs, moderate stop & go, no highway miles, and the computer is now reporting about 29 mpg. Based on my driving style and environment, it's looking like I should be able match/exceed the EPA city rating. I feel confident about matching/exceeding the EPA Highway rating as well. If you want to know what efficient driving is, read the tips in this thread: http://www.hyundai-forums.com/231-md-2011-elantra/136203-read-before-posting-about-fuel-mileage.html. Give those a try before proclaiming the car as crappy.

By drewberry
on 03/14/12 10:15 AM (PDT)

I never stated I drive with a lead foot all day, everyday. Occassionally I do but who doesn't especially when you are late getting somehwere. I drive just like the thread explains and I drive mostly highway on a daily. SOOOO there is no reason why I can't achieve at least 30 mpg on a daily basis. So like I said earlier gas efficiency wise the hyundai elantra is CRAP. Point blank. So please come up with another lame way of trying to make this car seem like it so good on gas. :)

By drewberry
on 03/21/12 18:57 PM (PDT)

I took it to Hyundai last Thursday. A tech looked at the range and said it can't changed without even looking at the actually trip computer underneath the hood of the car. SMH. At this point, I am sure it is something wrong with my car because I have drove plenty of other vehicles like civic, focus, and the jetta. I have gotten 41 mpg in civic, focus: 33, and jetta:35 just doing my normal driving all in wet conditions. So trust me it is not my driving it is the car. And since Hyundai's or should my dealership's techs aren't really knowlegeable about the cars they so call fix, I may never get to the bottom of this issue.

By lyndacan
on 04/16/12 23:29 PM (PDT)

Just FYI. I am 70 years old, drive like an old lady and am getting 22.6 mpg with combination driving. I don't understand why some people are getting good mileage and others aren't, including me. It's frustrating. I will bring my car in next month for its first scheduled maintenance. I keep hoping they will find something they can fix.