Bluetooth doesn't work. MPG is not very good.
By kgibson0 on
2012 Hyundai Elantra GLS 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 6A)
I have the 2012 preferred package. Drove 5 hours to get one with the blue tooth on the steering wheel. It works less than 50% of the time. If I can get it to connect a make a call, the very next minute a call coming in won't go through the bluetooth. When I get out of the car, it won't disconnect and I can't answer my phone. Even if I am far away from the car, it won't disconnect. It won't work for days and then suddenly a call will come in on the bluetooth. I got it for safety and it turns out it is just the opposite. I had a 2008 Elantra that I sold. I always got 33 MPG mixed hwy and city and not much more on the highway. I usually drive fast. But this Elantra is much lower.
Favorite Features
The exterior look.... Sweet.
Suggested Improvements
I drove VERY conservative for the first month. Turned off the A/C when going up hills. Slowest car to accelerate from a light. I never got over 31.8 MPG. Drove to Houston last week. Still got 31. 8. The worst was 30.6. I am really frustrated with this as the reviews prior to buying said it would get much higher MPG. It seems like they are lying about it. It is not even close to the window listing. I even tried the Econo button for 2 weeks with no improvement, so I turned it off.
By kevperro2
on 09/03/11 13:49 PM (PDT)

FWIW: Bluetooth is going to be dependent upon interaction with another device. The fault may or may not be with the Hyundai. I've found just the opposite with fuel economy. It performs better than expected but my driving habits are conservative. The problem with EPA estimates are that they are only based upon one set of testing circumstances. Aggressive driving can impact some cars more than others. I see no reason why you shouldn't be able to hit >32mpg though because I hit it easily. Check air pressure in the tires (I'm @ 44PSI per the sidewall of the tire) and driving habits are probably the single biggest factor in what kind of fuel economy you get.

By butchiek
on 09/17/11 07:01 AM (PDT)

@kevperro2 You might want to set your tires at the Hyundai recommended 32 PSI front and rear.The 44 PSI on the sidewall is the MAXIMUM pressure the tire manufacturer allows

By kevperro2
on 09/17/11 12:14 PM (PDT)

I've noticed less difference than on most tires when I run them high. Usually...a car drives a little rougher and you obviously loose some traction in corners. I notice little difference between 35 PSI & 44 PSI but it does pick you up a little MPG.

By svensmor
on 09/17/11 18:19 PM (PDT)

butchiek if you look even closer at the fine print on the tire it says the 44 psi is the maximum rating at 1200 plus pounds cargo capacity.when was the last time you had 1200 pnds of cargo in your car with just the driver and even a passenger they wouldnt even weigh half that and i imagine you could run 55 psi and be ok

By jduffy09
on 11/01/11 13:45 PM (PDT)

Did you ever consider the bluetooth might be a problem with your phone and not your car? Probably not.

By fl_lead_foot
on 10/24/11 20:50 PM (PDT)

on 10/24/11 20:41 PM (PDT) You must be doing something SERIOUSLY wrong! My 2012 Elantra GLS GETS THE ADVERTISED GAS MILEAGE, when I drive in ECO mode, which for commuting like you eluded to you are doing is the way to drive it. If you want to wring it out, take it out of ECO mode and put the hammer down. I've owned my share of econo pocket rockets in the day (VW Jetta GLI (DOHC 16V) X 2 (like the GTI), Honda Civic Del Sol, Suzuki Swift GTi(DOHC 16V)), I like the souped up Matchboxes and the Hyundai is probably the best I've owned so far. None of my previous "toys" have gotten the gas mileage or come close to LOOKING THIS SEXY! I think you're [violative content deleted] and that's the one marque I've NEVER OWNED! I have owned, just foreign marques listed; MG, VW X 2, Mazda, Suzuki, Honda, Jaguar X 2, & Hyundai. You also sound like you're driving a MIXED circuit, where you SHOULD expect mid 30s. I just took mu first mixed trip of about 250 miles yesterday and averaged 38mpg with 3 people aboard! AND MY BLUETOOTH WORKS GREAT, even with BOTH my wife and my phones in the car! I've found, with Bluetooth, more often than not, it's the phone. I've been using Bluetooth devices for 10 years and had several different phones, some work wwaayy better than others with Bluetooth!

By gofor40mpg
on 04/07/12 22:02 PM (PDT)

It's your phone that is not working properly... if you turn off your car, the bluetooth is not active.. just on your phone is active.. check our phone...

By fl_lead_foot
on 08/21/12 21:03 PM (PDT)

People that give the car and average of 4 out of five stars and are complaining about the car, I just don't get? I have over 16000 on the car and the gas mpg is GREAT and the Bluetooth works like a charm!