2012 Hyundai Elantra Consumer Review: Best New Car

2012 Hyundai Elantra - Consumer Review

GLS Sedan (1.8L 4-cyl. 6-speed Manual)

Best New Car
By kwheels on

2012 Hyundai Elantra GLS 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 6M)

I bought this car for my wife and we've been very pleased. We've driven over 23,000 miles on our 2012 Elantra Limited are averaging a consistent 37mpg during routine weekly driving in Eco mode. When it was new and with Eco mode turned off the worst tank average was 29mpg. Since the 10,000 mile mark the worst we've seen is 31-34mpg while driving around Atlanta traffic. When driving on the highway the first tank full averages 39mpg, and every tank afterwards averages 45-47mpg. We travel with 2-3 passengers and about 100lbs of luggage.

Favorite Features

The back-up camera is necessary when in parking lots, because the the rear window C-pillar and height of the rear seats is high and wide. I like sensitive pedals and both the gas and brake pedal provide immediate feedback. The Navigation system requires a subscription to XM to display. We love the Navigation system, steering wheel controls for bluetooth, the push button start with the key fob in the pocket, and the rear heated leather seats for the kids in the winter. Most importantly, this car delivers at the gas pump which was one of the reasons we bought it. This car is perfect for families.

Suggested Improvements

On early models, like ours, the highway road noise is higher than we expected, but when the radio is turned on at any volume level you forget about the road noise. I read that Hyundai addressed that issue on later production models, but I haven't test driven to see if that is true. It's still not an issue to us. The car is flat out perfect. We would like to see a turbo version in the next year when I will be looking for a car for myself.