Used 2012 Hyundai Elantra Sedan Consumer Reviews - 109 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2012 Hyundai Elantra Sedan - Consumer Reviews

2012 Hyundai Elantra Sedan

View reviews for a specific Elantra model:

I WILL NEVER OWN ANOTHER HYUNDAI!
By mchunter

2012 Hyundai Elantra Sedan GLS 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 6A)

We are very disappointed in this car. 17,000 miles in, the car developed a blown headgasket. Service manager said bolts were loose from the factory. Hyundai area rep. tried to blame this on us, saying we had let the car overheat, although the car had never got hot. Why would a new car overheat anyway? While being fixed, dealer found timing chain tensioner was loose also. Kept smelling antifreeze later and dealer found hoses with pinholes. 35,000 miles now and car is making a popping noise in the front end and our mileage has dropped from averaging 35mpg to 29mpg. We bought this car, because of mileage and Hyundai quality supposedly being better now, but it is the last one we will ever own!

Hyundai needs to take more pride in their product and build a better quality vehicle. Hyundai needs to have District/area Service Representatives (these are the people who make the warranty repair decisions) who know what they are doing and do not blame a customer for their faulty product! Ours was fixed under warranty, but only because we had kept maintenance records online.

Follow up on my 2012 Elantra Limited
By rt129

2012 Hyundai Elantra Sedan Limited PZEV 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 6A)

I wrote a year ago about my gas mileage being poor. This winter is colder than last in PA, so based on cold winters with my '08 I am more disappointed. My '12 is averaging 21.5 / 23.5 per gallon.
My '08 Elantra SE averaged 25 / 26.5 per gallon in the cold PA winters.
Warmer weather my '12 gets 28.5 / 30 per gallon where as my '08 averaged 30 / 31 per gallon (Same driving approx 65% highway / 35% city). On long trips, the '08 would average 36 where as my '12 managed 34.
This is my 4th Elantra and by far the worst for fuel economy.
When it comes time to purchase a new car, I may have to look elsewhere (Love the car but disappointed by Hyundai and the way they are handling this situation).

Very stylish, comfortable and reliable...

Instead of your debit card system, you should give people cash back on the cars purchased. The fuel economy rating was and still is grossly overstated. When it comes time to trade in, the value will be less because of your bloated MPG rating.

Wow, no thanks to the Elantra
By rickpettry

Wow
So disappointed in the Elantra.
I talked my wife into selling her 10 year old Honda and buying a used Elantra. I wanted her to have a car with low mileage and a warranty. sometimes I have to leave town for work and I wanted to make sure she had no problems. while I was at the Dealership. I looked at the new 2012 Elantra. I under stand that the car would not get the estimated mileage on the sticker. but the salesman talked me into trading my car in based on the money I would save buying the new Hyundai. Here is what I fount out. the Elantra only get gets 3 more miles
to the gallon than my other car.
it dose not get the mileage the sales person told us. what I gave up is handling. comfort, and more. I am saving about $20.00 a month.
the car has so much road noise I have to crank up the stereo to here it. the stereo. is one of the worst I have had. I swear I can hear the wind blowing through my windshield right above the rear view mirror. the seats are not very comfortable, my last car was a better car, and only had 50,000 miles on it. this car is not comfortable especially for long road trips. my wife's Elantra wow. this car came with the Hyundai. certified used car warranty.
all 4 tires were bald on the inside.
so you couldn't see it. it was out of alignment. and we just found out the Transmission Had never been serviced.. and now it has a electrical problem. the Car only has 40,000 miles on it.
that over $700.00 we had to put into a certified used car. this car gets less mileage that her 10 year old civic. and also has more road noise, ect. Now her interior is more comfortable than my new car and she cant ride in my car for long periods of time. she has a bad back. I only had 1 year left to pay off my other car. then I would have about 4 to five years of no payments. I would take that money and save it for my next. car. i figured to have my last car 8 to ten years, and then buy another new car. this way it keeps my payment down. Now I get a letter stating Hyundai will give me credit for the mileage the car doesn't get, great. that doesn't solve the the comfort, and other problems I have with this car. If I trade it in on sothing else I will take a loss. I cant see having this car for 10 years. Thanks Rick Pettry

Make the interior better. fix the road noise. a better sterio.

update from 6 months ago
By utahandjazz

2012 Hyundai Elantra Sedan GLS 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 6A)

This is an update from a review i wrote 6 months ago.
We now have 12000 miles on our elantra and gas milage has only improved about 1 mpg...from 22/32 to 23/33.
VERY DISAPPOINTED!
We took into dealer to try to improve milage and they couldnt find anything wrong.
The milage indicator also does not tell the truth for the milage.
When i check it with actual miles per tank and divide the gallons put in, it is about 2 mpg off.
This car is horrible on ice...not sure if it is the car or the tires they put on it in the factory, but dealership said they are all-season?

We dont feel safe with the kids in this car when the weather is bad.
NOT HAPPY FOR THE MONEY SPENT!

Look of the car

Change the rating for gas milage to more achievable numbers.

Great value
By chapelthrill23

2012 Hyundai Elantra Sedan Limited 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 6A)

This is an excellent car for the money and shows just how far the economy game has advanced. It is not a sporty car to drive nor is it a smooth luxury ride but it does exactly what it is meant to do and that is to be an excellent commuter car. It is spacious, comfortable, cheap to buy, has features like XM and heated seats that are wonderful on the commute, and gets solid gas mileage. The interior and exterior styling are excellent. Reliability is something that is still tough to determine. Through 25,000 miles it has been good mechanically but there was an issue with a sunroof leak. Overall it has been a good choice and made a lot more sense than spending more on a Civic that had less stuff

The front seats are excellent, the back seat room is impressive for a car this size, the styling is good, the trunk space is good, the feature content is high, and the price is right. Mileage has been good and will hit the high 30s on road trips.

The steering is only so/so. The interior air vents are positioned very low so that the steering wheel really blocks off your AC. The engine noise is not as good as the noise from a Honda four.