2012 Hyundai Elantra Sedan - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Elantra model:
Great Value so far.
By 96tahoe on 09/04/11 04:12 AM (PDT)

2012 Hyundai Elantra Sedan GLS 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 6A)

Overall the car is great. I'm commenting on those people crying over not getting 40mpg. Umm...drive more hwy miles and your sure to get 40mpg or more. Your dash board says "Avg." That means the average gas mileage your getting. So if your getting less, your probably making too many trips from your house to mcdonalds. Get this car it looks great and so far the reliability is good.

Bluetooth doesn't work. MPG is not very good.
By kgibson0 on 09/02/11 20:44 PM (PDT)

2012 Hyundai Elantra Sedan GLS 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 6A)

I have the 2012 preferred package. Drove 5 hours to get one with the blue tooth on the steering wheel. It works less than 50% of the time. If I can get it to connect a make a call, the very next minute a call coming in won't go through the bluetooth. When I get out of the car, it won't disconnect and I can't answer my phone. Even if I am far away from the car, it won't disconnect. It won't work for days and then suddenly a call will come in on the bluetooth. I got it for safety and it turns out it is just the opposite. I had a 2008 Elantra that I sold. I always got 33 MPG mixed hwy and city and not much more on the highway. I usually drive fast. But this Elantra is much lower.

Undercoating of the Chasis
By revo2 on 09/01/11 17:49 PM (PDT)

2012 Hyundai Elantra Sedan GLS 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 6A)

Just bought the 2012 GL Elantra and I really love this car. But unknown to a lot of people who shared their excellent reviews is what lurks underneath the car. I discovered recently that some part of the chassis behind the tires have coating and some don't have any as you can see the painted metal part. SISSLEY DEALERSHIP called it gravel and sand protection and to my surprise not an undercoating to protect the cars chassis. Hyundai headoffice already gave them the GO signal to have it done but they did not bec of the following reasons: 1. They checked the Elantras in their dealership and have the same thing 2. Undercoating might affect the ABS & brake lining Check your Elantras

Great Value
By whatitis101 on 08/23/11 10:27 AM (PDT)

2012 Hyundai Elantra Sedan Limited 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 6A)

Just got a 2012 Elantra limited, and this is a great value. I am 6.5 and my wife 5.10 and we have plenty of room, and can also put 2 adults in the back. I looked at all the cars in this size and mileage range, and for the comfort and style we chose the Elantra. So far the only thing I don't care for is the road noise and I would like to see at least an 18 gal fuel tank in it. For what I paid, gas mileage, the great warranty, and good looks, its was a good buy. We keep cars until nothing is left, so lets see how it holds up after 15 years.

Hyundai is Big Time
By kevperro2 on 08/17/11 14:31 PM (PDT)

2012 Hyundai Elantra Sedan GLS PZEV 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 6A)

I've owned three Hyundai cars to this point (this is my 3rd) and they just keep getting better. They used to be mainly a value play. At this point the Elantra is better than anything in it's class in most ways. I don't have enough data on the fuel economy yet but I'd expect worse in-town than my 2008 Accent due to the weight/rolling resistance. On the first tank I'm in the low 30 (33mpg) with all short trips and around town. The Accent 5-spd gave me 32-33 under the same circumstances and I've babied the Elantra due to it being new. On the highway I'd expect the Elantra to do better due to low wind resistance and taller gearing. I'll update when I get more fuel economy data.

a very nice car
By steven39 on 08/10/11 18:32 PM (PDT)

2012 Hyundai Elantra Sedan GLS 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 6A)

just purchased this 2012 elantra gls a few days ago and my initial impressions of the car thus far is wow!!!!!!!!!great exterior design and the interior looks something like a lexus with the 3 tone color combo of beige,silver,and black.

Hyundai Elantra GLS
By iamnovice on 08/07/11 14:35 PM (PDT)

2012 Hyundai Elantra Sedan GLS 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 6A)

I purchase an Elantra on June 2. When I bought it, I had three criteria. I wanted really good gas mileage. I wanted a car that was drivable. And I wanted some cargo capacity. I had a 2008 Honda Fit. The Fit got 32 miles to the gallon overall and had a lot of cargo capacity as a hatchback. The Elantra is very drivable and can accelerate better than the Fit and doesn't have the problems maintaining highway speed. And the Elantra has really good EPA mpg ratings. So I thought I could forego the cargo capacity. Unfortunately the Elantra gets just over 30 mpg on gas with no ethanol. So I only got one of my three requirements. I wish I had not purchased the Elantra.

So Far I Love This Car!!!
By gendam on 07/15/11 14:54 PM (PDT)

2012 Hyundai Elantra Sedan GLS 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 6A)

We just purchased a 2012 Elantra GLS with pref pkg. I down sized from my favorite vehicle, which was a Chevy Traverse, which I loved but needed better fuel mileage. I love the way this car drives and the seats are extremely comfortable. My 6'0 husband can sit in the back with no problem at all. My only complaint so far are that the headlights are not auto so I have to remind myself to turn them on, I am not use to that. I only have around 300 miles on the car so far and I am averaging 34 mpg with mixed driving. I am very happy with that and hope it stays or gets better.

Update
By thfrazer on 07/08/11 17:14 PM (PDT)

2012 Hyundai Elantra Sedan GLS 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 6A)

Sorry about the last review. The editors at Edmunds didn't quite get it right. I admit it was long. Exterior: Unique, eye catching, not mundane. Interior: Well appointed, well laid out. Very nice fit and finish. Excellent leg room in back. Relatively quiet. Motor: Powerful and responsive for a 4 cylinder. Somewhat noisy when pushed, but provides the power you need. Does well passing on the interstate. Other Mechanical Items: The brakes are good, the steering is responsive, and the knobs and buttons do not feel or look cheap. AC works great here in Florida. Radio w/ XM is nice, but I wish it had more power to push the speakers.

Nice styling and yes you can get the advertised MPGs
By acaneb1164 on 06/29/11 19:05 PM (PDT)

2012 Hyundai Elantra Sedan GLS 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 6A)

I have the GLS with Preferred package (auto trans, a/c, bluetooth, steering wheel controls, etc.). I chose the Elantra after also driving the Cruze, Focus and Mazda 3. I have 1,200 miles on it. Regarding mileage: I see some with the 2011 model (same vehicle) saying they don't get the stated 29/40 mileage. I would guess that they didn't follow the break in period instructions in the manual - for the first 500 miles drive at a variety of RPMs between 2-4,000 RPM as much as you can. If you have the auto transmission you can do this with the shiftronic mode. After break in, I can get over 42 mpg at 75 mph with the a/c on. The 29 mpg in city is tougher but can be done.

The Edmunds TCO® estimated monthly insurance payment for a 2012 Hyundai Elantra Sedan in VA is:

$140 per month*