1000 miles and love it
By ferg48 on
2012 Hyundai Elantra GLS 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 6A)
I compared all the cars in this class before deciding on the Elantra, including the Corolla, Civic, Mazda 3. The Elantra offered so much more for the money! While I wouldn't call it sporty by any means, it has a great ride and is responsive enough for me. I read a lot of people complaining about the "poor gas mileage" and can't figure that out. I am averaging about 32mpg with mainly city driving. On one 100mile highway trip, we got 39.2 mpg. Nothing to complain about!! Not sure how these people drive, but I am definitely not a "granny" behind the wheel. I am pleased so far
Favorite Features
Nice ride, tons of amenities for the money, great on gas, and has a sharp look to it. It's also pretty quiet inside. I am 6'0' tall and have tons of leg and headroom, as did my 6'5 300lb friend
By ecotek
on 04/02/12 03:33 AM (PDT)

First of all, it would be great if you indicated your MPG in U.S. or Canadian but i supposed that yours is in U.S.. Many factors like tire pressure, tire itself ( winter or summer ), outside weather. It's clear that the MPG is better at 80 F than at 34 F. Using FAN or A/C need more gas so use them only when necessary. the MPG is better after engine oil change than after 3000 miles. Be sure to use the recommended 5W20 and synthetic for longer better MPG before next oil change. Don't forget to be in ECO mode. The green ECO light is on only when the engine temperature is hot enough. I use cruise control already at 25 mph ( 40 km/h ) i have an 2011 Elantra GL 6 speed automatic since january 2011 and i already got 38 000 kms. for the last 33 202 kms( 20751 miles ) i used only 2532 liters ( 670 U.S. gallons ) which mean 31 mpg U.S. At the end of april 2011, we made a trip Montreal-Virginia Beach. for 1120 miles, it take 30 gallons U.S.( 37,3 MPG ) Please don't believe the MPG indicator in dash. Mine is off by 10 %. I use l/100 km in Canada and 6.0 is in reality 6.7 To test it, i always have a Scangauge II plugged in my OBD2 for testing my real MPG. My Scangauge data is equal with my gas bill receipt which is not the case for the dash gas indicator. So my 31 mpg is real and tested. Also uphill cost a lot of MPG. 55 mph is better than 70 mph for your MPG. We are not racing driver so just start normally and don't REV the engine at 6000 RPM, because it cost a lot for nothing. This car give me a great ride and i really enjoy it.

By lyndacan
on 03/29/12 16:47 PM (PDT)

My Elantra GLS has 500 miles on it and I am averaging about 23 mpg. with a combination of city and a little highway. I AM a granny and drive very slowly and carefully. I don't understand why you get great gas mileage and I don't. Don't know much about cars but I am disappointed to the point of tears because, as a senior, the gas mileage was one of the features that prompted me to buy this car.

By carolinagirls
on 03/30/12 19:56 PM (PDT)

Our 2012 Elantra Limited now has 900 miles on it. I would say that 3/4 of these miles have been on the highway. Our overall mgp is 29. I am SO disappointed. We bought this car, primarily for the great mpg ratings. What are we doing wrong?