2012 Hyundai Elantra Sedan Consumer Reviews 10

2012 Hyundai Elantra Sedan - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Elantra model:
Update
By thfrazer on 07/08/11 17:14 PM (PDT)

2012 Hyundai Elantra Sedan GLS 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 6A)

Sorry about the last review. The editors at Edmunds didn't quite get it right. I admit it was long. Exterior: Unique, eye catching, not mundane. Interior: Well appointed, well laid out. Very nice fit and finish. Excellent leg room in back. Relatively quiet. Motor: Powerful and responsive for a 4 cylinder. Somewhat noisy when pushed, but provides the power you need. Does well passing on the interstate. Other Mechanical Items: The brakes are good, the steering is responsive, and the knobs and buttons do not feel or look cheap. AC works great here in Florida. Radio w/ XM is nice, but I wish it had more power to push the speakers.

Nice styling and yes you can get the advertised MPGs
By acaneb1164 on 06/29/11 19:05 PM (PDT)

2012 Hyundai Elantra Sedan GLS 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 6A)

I have the GLS with Preferred package (auto trans, a/c, bluetooth, steering wheel controls, etc.). I chose the Elantra after also driving the Cruze, Focus and Mazda 3. I have 1,200 miles on it. Regarding mileage: I see some with the 2011 model (same vehicle) saying they don't get the stated 29/40 mileage. I would guess that they didn't follow the break in period instructions in the manual - for the first 500 miles drive at a variety of RPMs between 2-4,000 RPM as much as you can. If you have the auto transmission you can do this with the shiftronic mode. After break in, I can get over 42 mpg at 75 mph with the a/c on. The 29 mpg in city is tougher but can be done.

2012 Elantra GLS
By thfrazer on 06/28/11 12:25 PM (PDT)

2012 Hyundai Elantra Sedan GLS 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 6A)

2012 Hyundai Elantra GLS Black with gray interior and Automatic transmission, preferred package, carpeted floor mats, ipod cable, electrochromatic mirror with Homelink, and emergency roadside kit. This will be a long and detailed review. I must preface everything by saying that I have been driving a 2000 BMW 323ia for the past 11 years. It now becomes my sons. It is impossible for me to review any car without reflecting back on my experience with my BMW. If BMWís werenít so damn expensive Iíd never buy another brand. I will try to point out the areas where my BMW experience has impacted my review of the Hyundai. My job requires that I carry a catalog case with about 35 pounds of paper in it and I am reluctant to toss it in for fear of breaking the floor, but Iíve never actually tested my theory. It would be nice if there were some trays in the floor on the side of the trunk to put things you donít want sliding around (a la BMW). The doors are also light and easy to open. I am very impressed with how wide they open. Especially the front doors. It makes it very easy to enter and exit the vehicle. Compared to my BMW this is very impressive! When opening the doors from inside the car there is not a defined click or sound/feel when the door unlatches. Iím 53 so I like my AC/DC, Tull, and Zeppelin loud. The Ipod cable and connection work great. Once the system has ďloadedĒ your Ipod you can control it from the radio stack or the steering wheel. Very nice! Seats: The drivers seat is easy to position and it alone has an up/down feature. For me the sides of the bottom cushion push in on my thighs too much even though Iím only 5í 10Ē and 170lbs. After a while it begins to annoy me. Iím sure my legs will get accustomed to this, but for now I notice it. I am one of those people that canít sit anywhere without my lower back being uncomfortable so my comments about the seats should be taken with that in mind. Air-conditioning: The controls are easy to see and easy to manipulate. The air is ice-cold, as it should be. One small issue is that if you use Max AC then you cannot have the air blowing anywhere but from the upper vents. The fan noise is minimal. Miscellaneous: The center armrest in the front slides forward which is nice. However, once youíve done that it is not easy to push the latch to lift it up to reveal the storage area below it. The side pockets of the front doors have a tilted bottle holder. These will NOT work for cups or anything else that doesnít have a lid that seals well. They will work well for baby bottles, but not for cups from a fast food restaurant. I havenít had to put the brakes to any kind of test, but they have stopped me quickly when I just wanted to see what would happen. This car is light so any kind of brakes would do a good job. Fuel Economy As Iíve pointed out the Elantra was built with lightweight materials in an attempt to increase gas mileage. The lack of a spare tire is for weight savings as well as cost savings. You will notice the bumps and jolts in this car more than you would in an SUV or heavier car such as a BMW. That is the price you pay for better fuel economy. Unfortunately, you are NOT going to get the mileage you see posted on the window in my opinion.

Love the car
By nerl945 on 06/16/11 22:18 PM (PDT)

2012 Hyundai Elantra Sedan GLS PZEV 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 6A)

I've had my 2012 Elantra for a week now, have put almost 700 miles on it. I've done two fill-ups, first one included 65% highway and got 38.1, The second one today which included 75% in town and 25% highway, I got 33.1. This is actual mileage, miles divided by gallons. Taking it on a trip this weekend and expect 40 plus on highway. The front has as much room as our 2010 Malibu, back 3" less leg room. Trunk is .3 cubic ft less than Malibu. It has more than enough power and drives very nicely. First time I ever paid "sticker" for a car but it is worth it. Made in the USA by non union labor. Gas mileage, outstanding style, build quality, outstanding warranty drew me to the car.