Used 2012 Hyundai Elantra Sedan Consumer Reviews - 109 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2012 Hyundai Elantra Sedan - Consumer Reviews

2012 Hyundai Elantra Sedan

View reviews for a specific Elantra model:

Frustrated w/ 2012 Hyundai Elantra Limited
By withpaul

2012 Hyundai Elantra Sedan Limited 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 6A)

We bought the car in September 2011 (2012). The car is light blue, fun to drive as long as it's working. Rear view camera quite often doesn't work when in reverse. Rear back panel under the windshield became sticky jelly so it was replaced but the shop messed up the glass under the tail light. The rear seat began to fail taking another 4 hours to replace. The steering wheel began to peel - within 6 months became a mess so it was replaced. Navigation system with voice as you all know is junk. Satellite Radio is ok. Bluetooth doesn't always work.
There's a tapping sound from the engine on start up and when freeway driving on cold days. Leaking oil from oil pan seal when only shop serviced.

Good looks, love the handling but wish we could return the car for a refund due to the problems mentioned. We believe this car will not last 5-7 years before serious issues develop. When the rear camera does work correctly I find it helpful when parking and encourage my wife to rely on this also - when it works. I won't let the service department touch this car anymore - it comes back worse off than when it went it.

Replace the navigation system with a decent one. Put some type of laser sensors near the wheels so that my wife knows when she's about to damage the allow wheels near curbs. The design of the car makes it hard for her to gauge where the curb is when parking. These low profile tires are great looking but the car rides rough - too rough even for low profile tires which we've had on other cars. We're getting pounded inside the car on bumps. The service shop in Lindon, Utah needs improvement. One woman actually seemed to care while the service manager denied everything I explained. I gave up finally. Angry with the sloppy work. They'd change the oil and we'd get oil drips under the car.

Average vehicle
By fshifteh

2012 Hyundai Elantra Sedan GLS 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 6A)

I have had my Elantra for almost a year and 18000 miles into the service I am in a position to provide some feedback. As far as the gas mileage I am resigned to the fact that the vehicle is going to give me avearage 26-27 in mixed city/highway driving. At this time I have found a couple of things that are annoying and I wonder if other owners face the same issues: 1) When coming to stop the shifter gear makes a clicking noise. I have taken this to the dealer and they replaced the shifter solenoid but it hasn't entirely resolved it and I still get the noise most the time when the vehicle is coming to stop. Another issue is the clicking noise from front left tire when driving over certain bump

Nice interior and exterior. The seats are comfortable and the trunk is pretty roomy for a vehicle this size.

Improve sound control. Fix the shifter gear noise issue. Improve the quality of cloth seats so they don't easily get stained. Make the transmission smoother.

Nice Car.. Could use some improvments
By lorisue02

2012 Hyundai Elantra Sedan Limited 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 6A)

I bought this car in April new and now almost have 17,000 miles on it. I drive a lot and for the most part I love the car. Recently the steering wheel started to peal in a certain spot and the dealership installed a new one with no questions. The backseat has heated seats but when you put on air/heat there are no vents in the back which makes it uncomfortable if you have people in the back since it has to be too hot/ cold in the front so it blows to the back.. The cruise control is really sensitive if I hit a little bump on the highway it flips it right off (which might just be a safety precaution).

The style of the car is nice. I do get compliments on it.

Improvements would be vents in the back seat. Also to have an oil life % would be nice, and instead of the MPG restarting every time you get gas it would be nice if you could re set it yourself.

some issues and sounds
By ensankk

2012 Hyundai Elantra Sedan GLS 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 6M)

i got this 2012 elantra brand new. since the first time caught my eye , nice exterior and interior design..the right window pasanger side make noise, driver seat is peeling off (5250)miles on it.

every morning when i start it the lifters sound like old car but the dealer say its ok ...well i asume that is fine ...who knows???.

i onw this car since february 2012 its very nice presentation compare with the ugly honda civic and corolla ...but sometimes i think its too delicated and doesnt run x ever like toyota or honda .
im afraid to close the doors cause if i close hard seem like im gonna destroyed hahahaha.

and the other hand i own before a strong gmc sierra but gas prices kill me

Best New Car
By kwheels

2012 Hyundai Elantra Sedan Limited 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 6A)

I bought this car for my wife and we've been very pleased. We've driven over 23,000 miles on our 2012 Elantra Limited are averaging a consistent 37mpg during routine weekly driving in Eco mode. When it was new and with Eco mode turned off the worst tank average was 29mpg. Since the 10,000 mile mark the worst we've seen is 31-34mpg while driving around Atlanta traffic. When driving on the highway the first tank full averages 39mpg, and every tank afterwards averages 45-47mpg. We travel with 2-3 passengers and about 100lbs of luggage.

The back-up camera is necessary when in parking lots, because the the rear window C-pillar and height of the rear seats is high and wide. I like sensitive pedals and both the gas and brake pedal provide immediate feedback. The Navigation system requires a subscription to XM to display. We love the Navigation system, steering wheel controls for bluetooth, the push button start with the key fob in the pocket, and the rear heated leather seats for the kids in the winter. Most importantly, this car delivers at the gas pump which was one of the reasons we bought it. This car is perfect for families.

On early models, like ours, the highway road noise is higher than we expected, but when the radio is turned on at any volume level you forget about the road noise. I read that Hyundai addressed that issue on later production models, but I haven't test driven to see if that is true. It's still not an issue to us. The car is flat out perfect. We would like to see a turbo version in the next year when I will be looking for a car for myself.