2012 Hyundai Elantra Sedan - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Elantra model:
Love it
By cf4e on 08/30/13 06:01 AM (PDT)

2012 Hyundai Elantra Sedan GLS 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 6M)

I have owned my 2012 Elantra for about a year and a half. I have just short of 18,000 miles on it. I bought this car mainly for it's looks and gas mileage. It doesn't disappoint in either category. I have averaged 32.5 mpg between city and hwy driving, but i'm also an enthusiastic driver. I have found the econo mode makes about a 2 mpg difference when it's turned off. I have achieved 40 mpg on the highway with econo mode on.The car is a bit for fun to drive with it turned off. Only 1 minor problem. On long trips of 1000 miles or more, I will stop at a rest stop in the middle of the trip and when I get back in the cruise will stop working for 20-30 miles - then start working again.

some issues and sounds
By ensankk on 08/13/12 21:10 PM (PDT)

2012 Hyundai Elantra Sedan GLS 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 6M)

i got this 2012 elantra brand new. since the first time caught my eye , nice exterior and interior design..the right window pasanger side make noise, driver seat is peeling off (5250)miles on it. every morning when i start it the lifters sound like old car but the dealer say its ok ...well i asume that is fine ...who knows???. i onw this car since february 2012 its very nice presentation compare with the ugly honda civic and corolla ...but sometimes i think its too delicated and doesnt run x ever like toyota or honda . im afraid to close the doors cause if i close hard seem like im gonna destroyed hahahaha. and the other hand i own before a strong gmc sierra but gas prices kill me

First Hyundai, very pleased
By thebagel42 on 08/01/12 05:07 AM (PDT)

2012 Hyundai Elantra Sedan GLS 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 6M)

I don't usually write reviews, but after seeing all the reviews reporting poor gas mileage I felt like I had to say something. I've got about 10K miles on my 2012 elantra. Just about a month ago I drove from Cleveland to Ann Arbor (~180 miles) and I averaged 41 mpg. That's with speeds between 65-75 mph. When I first got the car I could get 29-30 in a city. However, I've recently found it more fun to drive this stick shift car in a less-than-optimal way. I now average about 26-27 in the city but get to enjoy the car a little more. So getting at or above the estimated mpg is very possible. In addition, there is plenty of room in the interior of the car.

Regretful
By jmk1109 on 06/17/12 12:47 PM (PDT)

2012 Hyundai Elantra Sedan GLS 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 6M)

I purchased this car mainly for the fuel economy. My 60 miles per day of driving to and from work only get me 32 mpg. I did get 40 driving from Harrisburg, PA to Pittsburgh, though. My biggest disappointment about the car is the steering. I blow around on the highway when there are strong wind gusts. The handling is horrible and I feel like I can't even control my car. I feel unsafe. My tire also blew out while on the highway - and to my surprise there was no spare tire. I can't believe Hyundai doesn't make it standard to provide it's customers with a spare! I regret buying the car and I would rather pay more money for gas in a less efficient car than drive a car that is unsafe.

12000 miles fo far and very happy with my Elantra
By grandsportc3 on 02/24/12 07:59 AM (PST)

2012 Hyundai Elantra Sedan GLS 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 6M)

Bought my 2012 Elantra last November and already put 12000 miles on it (trips from Florida to New York and from Florida to Mexico) and the car has been very fuel efficient and reliable. I had ZERO problems with the car and I'm getting an average of 39 mpg (mostly highway). The only time that I got worse gas mileage was when driving with 3 persons, a dog and lugguage to New York and to Mexico.. The extra weight dropped the gas mileage by about 3 - 4 mpg.. I really love the looks of the car, inside and out.. I don't know what other reviewers are talking about when they mention that the engine is noisy.. At 70mph cruising, I can't even hear the engine...

12,000 Miles and Happy
By zunni on 01/23/12 12:40 PM (PST)

2012 Hyundai Elantra Sedan GLS 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 6M)

I purchased the '2012' model back in the summer of 2011 - this has led to some confusions in reviews. This is really a great car - for its design intentions -- I purchased it due to my 120 mile per day commute - all highway - it has been reliable, and the gas mileage claims have been very accurate. I love the look of the car, its handling and it's fairly peppy for a small car. My major gripes - the car is extremely light and does not do well in any cross winds - it becomes jittery. The front and rear body work is on the cheap side - all light polymers... In snow it is terrible - I just purchased a set of snow tires and this fixed the problem

Love my new Elantra - great looks and fuel efficiency
By grandsportc3 on 11/15/11 07:20 AM (PST)

2012 Hyundai Elantra Sedan GLS 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 6M)

I've read some of the other reviews and some people seem to be complaining about worse than expected gas mileage.. However, that seems to be only the case with automatic transmission. I have the 6-speed and on my first 3 fillups, I got about 39 mpg on average. The ride of the car is like a full size car. Very comfortable but not too soft suspension, good handling. I really love the exterior and interior design. The feel of the 6-speed transmission is great. So far, I have driven about 1300 miles with my new Elantra and I'm very satisfied.. I didn't expect the car to have sportscar like performance. The power it has is plenty for regular driving.

The Edmunds TCO® estimated monthly insurance payment for a 2012 Hyundai Elantra Sedan in VA is:

$126 per month*